TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

How soon before SPWC for home use?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by pilotSteve, May 11, 2015.

1. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

Thinking that with PowerWall in your garage you could have access to ~400VDC from the PowerWall. Wouldn't it be cool if Tesla offered a "super" power wall charger (hence SPWC) fed from the PowerWall and your solar panels.

Sure you can use DC->AC->DC with HPWC but it should be 10-15% more efficient as pure DC-DC and quite possibly offer faster charging.

Home Supercharger anyone?

2. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

How often would anyone need to charge their car that quickly at home? Most people don't come come with a nearly depleted battery and leave for a 200 mile trip an hour later.

3. kuttakamina

kuttakamina Member

No, but you could come back from a long trip, and may have to make a quick trip to run errands immediately after. I love the idea of a SPWC, throwing in another idea - let us use our Teslas as batteries for our homes.

4. NEWDL

NEWDL R#350 R#1323 Sig23 8136

ok, in that same realm of thought, why can't we "jump" each other and transfer X miles of range from one Model S to another?

DC to DC?

5. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

The PowerWall is spec'd for a max output current of 2kW continuous, not even close to a 'fast DC charge. Don't know why, but there it is. :frown:

6. Fiver

Fiver Member

#6 Fiver, May 11, 2015
    Last edited: May 11, 2015
    I think this is actually more interesting. While most everyone has no need for "supercharging" speed at home, would a slower straight DC charge connection be more efficient off of Tesla DC home batteries tied to DC solar?

7. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Active Member

That's likely the ceiling on the inverter. DC-DC would bypass this. Still, you'd have to have a pretty big stack of these for anything more than a fractional charge.

8. glhs272

glhs272 Unnamed plug faced villian

For this we would basically have to start out with the 100kwh Powerpack, not the power wall. But at $25,000 it's not all that bad, considering what most DC chargers like Chademo go for. That price just gets you the pack, but a big chunk non the less. When you consider what a supercharger site install goes for, perhaps an integrated DC only supercharger/Powerpack on a pallet system might be a good deal for low utilization superchargers. The possibilities are mouth watering.. These in the wild superchargers could be temporary, or only connected with a small standard 100amp to 200amp grid connection, like a typical house.

9. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

I've thought about that. It seems technically quite feasible. I wonder, however, if Tesla believes that the mainstream media would spin the announcement of a Tesla-to-Tesla charge cable as an indicator that we need to frequently rescue one another, thus amplifying the uninformed publics' unfounded range anxiety.

10. chriSharek

chriSharek Member

These are all great ideas. Love the SPWC idea but using the car as a house backup for the Florida Hurricanes would be amazing! :)

11. Dbitter1

Dbitter1 Journeyman Member

Uhm.... we are Tesla owners here (or enthusiasts, I suppose). Please don't apply the logic of the common masses; otherwise, we'd all be driving ICEs.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." - George Bernard Shaw

12. N4HHE

N4HHE Member

What would be the point of "super" charging only 7-10 kWh, even if we could?

13. redi

redi 2013 P85+ with HumanPilot Technology

I'd rather have an option to plug my Tesla in (where my gas generator attaches) so I could power my house during short power outages from my 85kwh "rolling Powerwall" I already have in the garage.