Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Soon Can I Begin MS Ownership Transfer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very excited to receive my 'new to me' late-2017 MS in the coming weeks. The dealer I purchased through has been very helpful and has maintained a relationship with the previous owner. They are also willing to help with the vehicle transfer in any way they can since they have the contact info of the previous owner if needed.

My question is how soon is too soon to begin the ownership transfer process via the app? Since the MS is being delivered and will be on a truck for a week or two, I was wondering if I can use that time while it's in the truck for the ownership transfer process?

That's all for now.

Thanks in advance!

Mine took a few days for Tesla to show the vehicle in my Tesla Account, you are at the mercy of them, I dont know about "instantly", but as long as the previous owner releases the car, that process can begin on Tesla's side.
Mine happened within 15 minutes of previous owner doing the transfer. If you have to submit bill of sale info to Tesla in can take longer.

Upvote 0
This all sounds pretty consistent with what I've heard so far. In essence, what I would 'like' to do is get a feel for the features of the app while the MS is in transit from dealership to my place.

I did read somewhere a comment made that the previously registered owner should NOT remove the vehicle, but add me as a second user or something (as I recall). What would potentially be the logic behind that?

Thanks much!

Upvote 0
I did read somewhere a comment made that the previously registered owner should NOT remove the vehicle, but add me as a second user or something (as I recall). What would potentially be the logic behind that?
I believe the issue is that Tesla may decide to remove some upgrades that the PO had, as, according to Tesla, some upgrades are only for the purchaser and don't transfer to a new owner. Happened to me about 6 weeks ago. I bought a MS from a dealer with "Enhanced Autopilot", but when I transferred it to my name, Tesla magically removed that and I now have Autopilot. Tesla now says they have no record of it ever having EA!

Upvote 0
I believe the issue is that Tesla may decide to remove some upgrades that the PO had, as, according to Tesla, some upgrades are only for the purchaser and don't transfer to a new owner. Happened to me about 6 weeks ago. I bought a MS from a dealer with "Enhanced Autopilot", but when I transferred it to my name, Tesla magically removed that and I now have Autopilot. Tesla now says they have no record of it ever having EA!
Do you have the pic of the screen from the dealers listing that shows the miles. It will show what autopilot it had at the time.

Upvote 0
I just did this 3 weeks ago, also purchased from a 3rd party dealer. Prior to the car being in your account, the app is essentially just the website mobile version. I'm assuming you've registered for an account, if not then from your desktop/mobile do so under the drop-down menu "Account", 2nd up from the bottom of the list, "Create Account". You don't need to be an owner to register. Once registered you see a box that says, "Purchased car from a 3rd party?" Once you click on this it will walk you through the process, you'll need to upload one of the required docs i.e. temp registration, purchase contract, etc. BUT now it's going to ask you to go to the vehicle, enter a code and change the name. And that's where I had to stop until I had the vehicle in my possession. Now, you may be able to finish this if you're on the phone with the dealer and they can do that step from their end. I just waited the few days for delivery. Once I had the car in my possession and did this process, had to start over as it doesn't save unless completed, it took 5 minutes max. In my case, the car was instantly in my account so the previous owner must have released it. If the previous owner has not released the car from their account, Tesla will contact them to do so, and that entire process is stated while you're doing this. Since your dealer is in contact with the previous owner, I would ask the dealer to contact the previous owner first and ask if or can they release it through the app. It's just a couple-click process, and most owners do it immediately because you maintain c.c. payment methods in your account and any Supercharging, upgrades, etc would be billed to their credit card. If that's done it will show up in your account quickly, in my case instantly. If Tesla gets involved in having to contact the previous owner to release, I can imagine that would bog it down. Once the car is in, when you log on to the App it will be a completely different experience.

Attachments

• IMG_20210904_110052_333.jpg
    IMG_20210904_110052_333.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 82
Upvote 0
I just did this 3 weeks ago, also purchased from a 3rd party dealer. Prior to the car being in your account, the app is essentially just the website mobile version. I'm assuming you've registered for an account, if not then from your desktop/mobile do so under the drop-down menu "Account", 2nd up from the bottom of the list, "Create Account". You don't need to be an owner to register. Once registered you see a box that says, "Purchased car from a 3rd party?" Once you click on this it will walk you through the process, you'll need to upload one of the required docs i.e. temp registration, purchase contract, etc. BUT now it's going to ask you to go to the vehicle, enter a code and change the name. And that's where I had to stop until I had the vehicle in my possession. Now, you may be able to finish this if you're on the phone with the dealer and they can do that step from their end. I just waited the few days for delivery. Once I had the car in my possession and did this process, had to start over as it doesn't save unless completed, it took 5 minutes max. In my case, the car was instantly in my account so the previous owner must have released it. If the previous owner has not released the car from their account, Tesla will contact them to do so, and that entire process is stated while you're doing this. Since your dealer is in contact with the previous owner, I would ask the dealer to contact the previous owner first and ask if or can they release it through the app. It's just a couple-click process, and most owners do it immediately because you maintain c.c. payment methods in your account and any Supercharging, upgrades, etc would be billed to their credit card. If that's done it will show up in your account quickly, in my case instantly. If Tesla gets involved in having to contact the previous owner to release, I can imagine that would bog it down. Once the car is in, when you log on to the App it will be a completely different experience.
I went through this process and was given a 3 letter code to enter in the Control screen. The car was not at my house so it took about 1 hour for me to enter this code. The site told me to click the submit button once the code was enter but my screen did not have a submit button. Do you know if the code is time sensitive? I have not received and feedback about if my car is now in my account by I assume not since the app is still just has marketing / sales information.

Upvote 0