Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Soon Until VIN Appears in the Online Store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm wanting to buy the Homelink module but my VIN isn't showing up in the store, despite having one and my car scheduled for delivery this coming Tuesday.

Will it not show up until then? No biggie, I guess. I suppose I can wait to get that installed later.

You’ll see your VIN when you get a delivery notification. We’re approaching the end of the Quarter so I’d expect Homelink installation post-delivery.

By the way, I have this and it does the same thing. And You can avoid Tesla having to disassemble the front end of your car (including removal of the front bumper cover).

Smart Garage Hub | myQ

Here’s a video of the Tesla Homelink install. Not for the faint of heart:

Garage door in the cloud? Hell no for a ton of reasons (I got into a mild flame war over this in another thread). I had this option when I had my new opener installed years ago and I absolute refused.

If installing Homelink is that crazy, I'll probably just stick with the traditional opener and save the $300.

Garage door in the cloud? Hell no for a ton of reasons (I got into a mild flame war over this in another thread). I had this option when I had my new opener installed years ago and I absolute refused.

If installing Homelink is that crazy, I'll probably just stick with the traditional opener and save the $300.
It's accessed via Apple HomeKit and is a certified accessory so I have no concerns with security. Opens as I pull into the driveway. To each his own. Be great if somebody made a small white clicker so it blends with the headliner vs. ugly black button box on visor.

Reactions: AlanSqB
The homelink thing is a real head scratcher. They're obviously making no money at $300 with a 2 hour service call. That seems low enough that they should really just throw them in every car and bump up the price a few hundred. What car doesn't have integrated garage door openers anymore?

The homelink thing is a real head scratcher. They're obviously making no money at $300 with a 2 hour service call. That seems low enough that they should really just throw them in every car and bump up the price a few hundred. What car doesn't have integrated garage door openers anymore?
People here have posted it was $300 just for the part PLUS 2 hour service call. That's $500-$600 to do something your iPhone or a clicker can do. Again, to each his own.

• Informative
It's accessed via Apple HomeKit and is a certified accessory so I have no concerns with security. Opens as I pull into the driveway. To each his own. Be great if somebody made a small white clicker so it blends with the headliner vs. ugly black button box on visor.
It's the "granting others access to my garage door from anywhere in the world" that's the problem.

I generally trust Apple's security. It's Chamberlain's that I don't trust. Non-tech companies have a horrible history when it comes to internet security.

HomeKit protocol requires end-to-end security.

I have the pre-HomeKit chamberlain door opener so I actually use a series of Shortcuts and works through json and tokens. Way less secure than HomeKit, but I live in a neighborhood fully of nosy retired people. I refuse to give Chamberlain more money (hub) for a feature they promised when I originally purchased the opener(long story). If my garage door sits open for more than 3 minutes with nobody they know going in or out, I get a text from at least one of my neighbors about it. Heaven forbid someone they don't know goes in my garage.

I finally had to explain to a couple of them why I'm perfectly ok with the nice Amazon folks opening and putting packages in my garage. They thought it was lunacy. I, on the other hand, like dry and secure packages.

Last edited:
HomeKit protocol requires end-to-end security.

I have the pre-HomeKit chamberlain door opener so I actually use a series of Shortcuts and works through json and tokens. Way less secure than HomeKit, but I live in a neighborhood fully of nosy retired people. I refuse to give Chamberlain more money (hub) for a feature they promised when I originally purchased the opener(long story). If my garage door sits open for more than 3 minutes with nobody they know going in or out, I get a text from at least one of my neighbors about it. Heaven forbid someone they don't know goes in my garage.

I finally had to explain to a couple of them why I'm perfectly ok with the nice Amazon folks opening and putting packages in my garage. They thought it was lunacy. I, on the other hand, like dry and secure packages.
"End to end" security doesn't mean secure. So the communications between the phone and the garage door opener is secure, fine, okay, that's cool. It doesn't mean that Chamberlain's security on their cloud service side is any good.

In fact, quick Googling has shown instances of poor security on Chamberlain's part:
So yeah, I don't trust them or any other IoT company to get it right.

Plus there's the whole issue where if my internet connection goes down, the app won't work anyway, again, because it needs to connect through the cloud.

i bought the think and should get it tomorrow. i also saw that video posted on YT showing what was involved! mercy!!!! but i DO like the idea of the homelink and how you can set it up with summon, etc...

off topic @AlanSqB your pup there looks so happy and content. i've been meaning to say that for weeks now and kept forgetting... :) adorable little guy.

People here have posted it was $300 just for the part PLUS 2 hour service call. That's $500-$600 to do something your iPhone or a clicker can do. Again, to each his own.

Homelink purchase direct from Tesla includes installation...no extra fee for the service call. I also believe it can be completed via mobile tech/ranger, but they might also refer to a service center.

I bought a demo that luckily already had homelink installed...if it didn't I would have for sure bought it. I have a gate to my subdivision plus my garage and there is no way I'd buy a technological marvel of a car and still have to carry my clicker. Plus, the GPS based auto functions of the Tesla homelink are simply awesome.

Automatic Garage Opener

Reactions: lUtriaNt