Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How soon will the next Model 3 be delivered?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought the VIN decoder document showed specific codes for RC's that are different than production. P is for Production, so I suppose all the RC's don't have a P in them.

Here's one I found here:

Decoding Tesla Model S VINs

Says:

Digit 12, Production Series:
A = Alpha Prototype
B = Beta Prototype
R = Release Candidate Vehicle
P = Production Vehicle
S = Signature Series Vehicle
F = Founder Series Vehicle
0-9 = Production Vehicle (replaces P to allow 6 digit sequence numbers)

I presume they can do all sorts of letters in the first digits of the eventual huge numbers of digits they'll be using in production in the future.

We can assume Model 3 only uses A, B, R, and P0-9. They'll probably just leave out P, leaving only A, B, R, and 0-9.

I wonder what they'll do for years in which they make more than 6 digits worth (more than 999,999); perhaps just start using random letters in the high slot to indicate 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, so on.

Last edited:
The above was for Model S... It appears that they are doing Model 3 differently.

You may recall all the talk of accelerating deliveries, and streamlining the test process.
You can question if initial quality may suffer, but it seems they are determined to skip some steps to get cars out there ASAP.

Roadster used yet another scheme for marking different series (EPs/VPs/Founders/Signature/Production/etc.) so I wouldn't expect the Model S VIN document to guarantee what Model 3 will do.
I think we have already seen that they are skipping letter codes and just making different types of cars in different number ranges.

(Edit: MP3Mike beat me to it... "Got Ninjaed")

Random wild guesses:

#1: Maybe they finished using up that original order of parts to build ~300 cars, and are waiting for the next round of parts from suppliers?
#2: Maybe they found something in the thousands of supplier provided parts that could be improved, so they are waiting to get that updated?
#3: Maybe they are stamping out lots of body panels in advance getting ready to make more Model 3 once the suppliers provide all the parts?
#4: Maybe the gigafactory is cranking out cells and they are making battery packs and stockpiling them getting ready for when the other parts are ready?

If feels like there is a lull as I haven't seen more tweets about ordering, or new license plates showing in online photos.

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
And Model X launch for that matter. It took about 5 months after the "launch" of Model X deliveries for any significant volume to occur.

I remember the Model X ramp as being much more painful than the Model S ramp.

Model S steadily improved in volume and quality over time. Model X seemed to go in and out of production over a period of months. The initial quality was worse too, in terms of the number of problems those early deliveries suffered.

So far:
model3-distrubtion.png

Random wild guesses:

#1: Maybe they finished using up that original order of parts to build ~300 cars, and are waiting for the next round of parts from suppliers?
#2: Maybe they found something in the thousands of supplier provided parts that could be improved, so they are waiting to get that updated?
#3: Maybe they are stamping out lots of body panels in advance getting ready to make more Model 3 once the suppliers provide all the parts?
#4: Maybe the gigafactory is cranking out cells and they are making battery packs and stockpiling them getting ready for when the other parts are ready?

It feels like there is a lull as I haven't seen more tweets about ordering, or new license plates showing in online photos.
I wonder if that's cause for concern?

I wonder if that's cause for concern?
The initial owners probably have a lot of good feedback that keeps the ramp-up employees well employed. I expect this to be an accelerated version of the Model X ramp-up: spurts of vehicles, then pause, check what happened, fix, and repeat (another spurt). Each spurt will be sized appropriately. Eventually, it will get larger and larger (the sample sizes get too small to find errors after a while).

Reactions: TEG