Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How SpaceX pronounces “SLC-40”

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Watching today’s launch, for the first time I heard the pronunciation “slick forty” for the SLC-40 launch area. Never heard that before. Did I just miss it in the past?

You missed it. I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned in the broadcasts before. Probably not explained though.

A good excuse to go back and watch all 45 launch webcasts again... :)

• Funny
Reactions: Model 3 and e-FTW
I sometimes lol at the perception of everything being new and exciting with spacex, but I suppose new interest in space is the real point, so... :p

“Slick” is not a spacex conjure. It has been used to phoneticise “SLC” on both coasts...probably since the day after the acronym was created. The most famous (if you can call it that) being “slick six”.

Reactions: Grendal
I sometimes lol at the perception of everything being new and exciting with spacex, but I suppose new interest in space is the real point, so... :p

“Slick” is not a spacex conjure. It has been used to phoneticise “SLC” on both coasts...probably since the day after the acronym was created. The most famous (if you can call it that) being “slick six”.
Okay, good to know. I had not heard that pronunciation before and I’ve watched a lot of SpaceX launches at “slick forty”.

Reactions: Grendal
Here in SLC, SLC is Es El See (actually, I tend to call it Salt Lick City from one of those elementary school activities with pictorial versions of many state capitals. But I’m weird, and am always playing with words) but SLCC (a local community college) is Slick.