Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How strong does the WI-FI signal need to be?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1) Are you connected to the Wifi? I find it takes awhile the first time.
2) When you go Controls/Software/Scroll to see if you have Update... Does it ever change to say "....Downloading" and show a green status bar?
3) I find that it helps to turn off streaming internet (uses bandwidth), and click the "release notes" link. Might just be a coincidence though.

Yea ONLY need WiFi if you have a download pending. If no pending download WiFi is not relevant.
IMG_0633.jpeg

assuming you have a late enough version if you go into the software area it will tell you if you've been flagged for an update or not.
============
I have version 3.9.1

In software the only thing I see is a place to check if you want notification ( I think that's what it's for ).

This morning there was a Dot on the app on my phone but when I opened the app there was nothing new there.

============
I have version 3.9.1

In software the only thing I see is a place to check if you want notification ( I think that's what it's for ).

This morning there was a Dot on the app on my phone but when I opened the app there was nothing new there.

Sorry i wasn't clear enough. i meant in the software area of the car GUI itself. Soembody posted a pic above.

What version is currently loaded? 3.9.1 sounds more like an app version and not car firmware version.

In the app you can go to the bottom of the “car page” and see the version below the VIN.
==========
Oh yes that is the app version. When you mentioned version I thought that was what you meant.
No the car is on 19.20.2.1

I see on Teslafi that there are cars on even older versions that that. Only ten of Teslafi Model 3 subscribers are still on my version.

Thanks for the responses. It doesn't even show "update available " on the screen or in my app. I was worried the signal was too low. But I have gotten updates before. Oh well. The car works fine.

The app won’t show anything regarding software update until it is ready to install — after the car has been told one is available (which can happen over wifi or LTE I believe) AND it is 100% downloaded (over wifi). At least that’s how it has worked til before 3.9.1.

I normally receive updates in the first few days when Tesalfi reports about a new update, until the update to between 2019.24.4 and 2019.28.3.1 (where there are even some updates in between). My Wifi is good and stable (+/- 100Mbps) but only after a 'power off' and 5 minute wait the update started. This was new and hopefully necessary only once. You could try to do the same; a 'power off'.....

Sitting in the drivers seat with the car on and air conditioning running and windows and doors all closed, my signal strength is -45.1 DB.

I haven't gotten an update in over 2 months and I wonder if low signal strength is the problem.

What's actually more important is what is you LTE Signal?

When the car sleeps it shuts WIFI OFF !!

It gets a message to wake up and upgrade over LTE First, Then it uses WIFI to download.

I'm not sure if the new notice of pending software update is that you have an update, or is just the flagged to receive an update. I believe it's just a flag because you must then get on WIFI to get the update.

So if you're not getting flagged for an update, look at LTE strength and worry about WIFI later.

That said, I find 5.0 Ghz seems to work much better than 2.4 Ghz. Even though 2.4Ghz is plenty of band width and much stronger signal, it's much happier on 5.0 Ghz. The Car is parked like 20 feet from my router.

• Helpful
Reactions: jamaro