Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Tesla caculate remaining miles after charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Posted same at Reddit but got mixed responses.

I did a full charge few days ago, and when I turn on Model 3, it shows 493 KM, in percentage view it shows 100%.

Today I charged to 85%, it shows percentage correct, but only 413 KM.

Does Tesla consider my driving consumption while calculate the remaining mile age? Or my battery starting degrades only one month old.

I know my Nissan Leaf was calculating the remaining miles according to my driving consumption previous day.

I am in Canada, so I uses KM instead of Miles . Sorry.

No your driving has nothing to do with it. The range displayed is the EPA rated range. However it’s just an estimate, as the state of charge can not be measured directly. It’s not unusual to vary by a few miles (or km). Also, yes, your battery has stated to degrade. All batteries do, and it happens more in the first few months and then slows down.

Bottom line is there’s nothing to worry about.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Got it, thanks! Really wish you could tap to toggle temporarily when you are on the main charging screen. Like tap on 200 mi and have it change to 65% for 2 seconds and then change back. Going deep into settings each time is a bit much.
How many times is “each time”? Pick the display you like and keep it there. Most people think in miles, some think in percentages. Whichever way you think, it’s easy enough to estimate one from the other with a little mental math if you really want it (use a round number of 300 miles for 100% range). Also whichever way you set the battery meter to display, the nav system will always show estimated battery percentage at arrival at the bottom of the turn list.

Make sure you are checking immediately after charging is complete so that vampire drain doesn't affect your reading. Could be you checked 100% charge immediately and 85% charge a few hours after charging.

Canada may be different than US in the battery level displays. Probably not EPA rated miles or km at least. Non-US cars also had a different ideal range calc.

But I've never had any large variance in rated miles, and they seem to scale accurately for me.

I know the range remaining displayed is always "rated" range. But does the battery meter always show actual SOC %, or are they displaying it where "0%" actually has some reserve, or based on your driving, or something? I've been searching all morning to figure out what the range and meter show, I've learned what 'range' means, but %, still not sure.

Because we've used about 33kWh from our 90% charge (so 33 of 67.5 or about 50%) and the range remaining is 85mi and the battery meter shows something like 25% remaining, for example. 25% remaining for 85mi seems roughly correct, but the math on the usage makes no sense-- except, I guess, excluding vampire drain or something.

In the Model S and X, you can choose to have consumption chart on the drivers display. It can be moved to either side and also controlled by a roller control on the steering wheel.

On the main display you need to go through the menu, just like on the Model 3.