Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Tesla ships by rail to East coast

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, so I've been geeking out over how my MY is being shipped by rail to the East coast and thought I'd share what I've found for those of you who are also waiting.

The below info is by no means definitive since I've put it together based on what I've heard from my SA and what others have been told by their SA. Here's the data "input" I used:
  • Tesla ships by rail from Fremont to the East coast. It seems like they use either or both Union Pacific (UP) and BNSF.
  • My SA told me my vehicle will be shipped by rail to Chicago, then truck to MA.
  • For those in southeastern U.S., I've read others being told their MY is shipped via rail to Birmingham, AL, then truck to their SC.
  • My MY was last pinged in Milpitas, CA...which is where UP has a rail yard for loading and transporting vehicles by rail.
The "output" / results based on this info:
  • The rail yard in Milpitas, CA is operated by Union Pacific (map)
  • BNSF has a rail yard in Richmond, CA (see PDF for their rail routes for shipping vehicles in the US and Mexico)
  • List of automotive loading/unloading rail locations in the U.S. You'll find "Tesla" listed on here as well as the Milpitas, CA location.
This is all a long way of saying: if you want to see the potential route your MY is taking from Fremont, this gives you an idea. And, if your SA tells you, "your car was last pinged in Milpitas, CA", this most likely means it's waiting to be loaded onto a train to be shipped.
How did you ping the location of your vehicle?

Ok, so I've been geeking out over how my MY is being shipped by rail to the East coast and thought I'd share what I've found for those of you who are also waiting.

The below info is by no means definitive since I've put it together based on what I've heard from my SA and what others have been told by their SA. Here's the data "input" I used:
  • Tesla ships by rail from Fremont to the East coast. It seems like they use either or both Union Pacific (UP) and BNSF.
  • My SA told me my vehicle will be shipped by rail to Chicago, then truck to MA.
  • For those in southeastern U.S., I've read others being told their MY is shipped via rail to Birmingham, AL, then truck to their SC.
  • My MY was last pinged in Milpitas, CA...which is where UP has a rail yard for loading and transporting vehicles by rail.
The "output" / results based on this info:
  • The rail yard in Milpitas, CA is operated by Union Pacific (map)
  • BNSF has a rail yard in Richmond, CA (see PDF for their rail routes for shipping vehicles in the US and Mexico)
  • List of automotive loading/unloading rail locations in the U.S. You'll find "Tesla" listed on here as well as the Milpitas, CA location.
This is all a long way of saying: if you want to see the potential route your MY is taking from Fremont, this gives you an idea. And, if your SA tells you, "your car was last pinged in Milpitas, CA", this most likely means it's waiting to be loaded onto a train to be shipped.
Makes perfect sense. I contacted my sa today and was told my car is currently around the Chicago area. I’m taking delivery at the Lyndhurst,Ohio location (eastern Cleveland Suburb). I’m hoping I can get it tomorrow 5/24/2022 versus the 5/27/2022 that we have scheduled.

Reactions: Koolio46
Super late seeing your question…the sakes advisor is the one who told me the last where my car was in the last ping. You can’t ping it yourself.
Can vehicles in transit be pinged these days? My SA said they are no longer able to do this and that I’d have to wait on the delivery scheduling text. I wonder if this is accurate or if they were misinformed.

Can vehicles in transit be pinged these days? My SA said they are no longer able to do this and that I’d have to wait on the delivery scheduling text. I wonder if this is accurate or if they were misinformed.
I think it’s accurate. For mine, the last ping was at the Fremont factory or the location where they load it onto the train. While in transit, it was not pingable or it was responding