Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How the Model S is Made - Wired Magazine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I always note that you never see any battery production in Tesla videos. Of course batteries are their secret sauce so you understand the reluctance to show it but you never even see anything from afar. This video does not even show a completed battery being integrated into the car, surprising given how integral is to Tesla's story. I believe the primary reason is secrecy but I wonder if the battery production is not as gee-whiz automated as the rest of the car.

I always note that you never see any battery production in Tesla videos. Of course batteries are their secret sauce so you understand the reluctance to show it but you never even see anything from afar. This video does not even show a completed battery being integrated into the car, surprising given how integral is to Tesla's story. I believe the primary reason is secrecy but I wonder if the battery production is not as gee-whiz automated as the rest of the car.

I understand the secrecy and the need for it, but perhaps some of the first owners of this car were likely other automobile manufacturers looking to tear it down and find out what the guts are. So how big of a secret can it really be?

OompaLoompas.jpg
Battery Assembly Area Secret Oompa-Loompas

One day, oh yes, one day, I will do the factory tour. Thanks for posting. I love the comment of 3-5 days from raw material to completed car. Those of you early buyers remember when it took a couple of weeks to get your car built? The video helps you appreciate the fine tuning of the robots to get some of these processes nailed down tight.

Thanks for posting this Bonnie! Very concise and entertaining.

The whole operation, and the robots, are absolutely amazing. Just watching the robots change tools and complete different tasks impresses me no matter how many times I see them do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

The National Geographic Megafactories episode has a bit more detail.
I think they said the factory is 5 million square feet, and only 20% used. Lots of expansion room.

Last edited by a moderator: