Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to add a HEPA filter to your non-Bioweapon facelift Model S!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I had a hunch because the frunks were the same size even if you didn't order bio-weapon, that Tesla to save production costs put in the Bio-Weapon filtration system in, but just didn't add a filter, I was right.

Youtube comment gave a great place to buy the actual filter in the correct size (14"x27.5"x1") Custom Air Filters for Hard-to-find AC Filter Sizes | Filter Buy cost is $21.89

Last edited by a moderator:
So I had a hunch because the frunks were the same size even if you didn't order bio-weapon, that Tesla to save production costs put in the Bio-Weapon filtration system in, but just didn't add a filter, I was right.

Youtube comment gave a great place to buy the actual filter in the correct size (14"x27.5"x1") Custom Air Filters for Hard-to-find AC Filter Sizes | Filter Buy cost is $21.89
I couldn't get the video to play all the way through. Do you show how to get the climate control screen to activate the mode?

isn't there a software requirement also?

Apparently to put the filter to use, the software automatically sets the fan settings to high. Someone on ebay is making a direct drop in filter. The filter being used is more of an air filter used for air conditioning. You would need a HEPA filter similar to a home air filter in order to achieve the same results.

Tesla launches its HEPA air filter with ‘Bioweapon Defense Mode’ as an aftermarket upgrade for Model X
Tesla Model X HEPA Filter Replacement | eBay

I'm not sure if the ebay filter works for the model s though.

Apparently to put the filter to use, the software automatically sets the fan settings to high. Someone on ebay is making a direct drop in filter. The filter being used is more of an air filter used for air conditioning. You would need a HEPA filter similar to a home air filter in order to achieve the same results.

Tesla launches its HEPA air filter with ‘Bioweapon Defense Mode’ as an aftermarket upgrade for Model X
Tesla Model X HEPA Filter Replacement | eBay

I'm not sure if the ebay filter works for the model s though.

That's the model X one, not the Model S, model S is 14X27.5X1

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for the link...I'll buy 2 platinum filters to have a spare.

Welcome to the forum Crehop. Thanks for the interesting post. I think your post(s) is a great intro to the forums. Keep it up. Post wherever you like.

Um folks - all of you - this is incredibly valuable information - it is something I have hoped would be possible for a long time and I did not stumble on this anywhere but this thread. Even if she or he is selling this or something - there is a lot of evidence that long term pollution exposure is damaging and also studies seeming to indicate that possibly half of lifetime exposure for most people is while driving because the particulate matter is orders of magnitude more concentrated on roads than away from them. It has always annoyed me that Tesla makes a kind of safety - optional and not even available without the premium package or as a retrofit. The OP could post this on EVERY SUBFORUM and he would be doing us a service. Not most threads - but this one, yes. I'd even vote for making it a *sticky* at the top of every subform on TMC for a couple months to ensure as many people as possible see it.

Um folks - all of you - this is incredibly valuable information - it is something I have hoped would be possible for a long time and I did not stumble on this anywhere but this thread. Even if she or he is selling this or something - there is a lot of evidence that long term pollution exposure is damaging and also studies seeming to indicate that possibly half of lifetime exposure for most people is while driving because the particulate matter is orders of magnitude more concentrated on roads than away from them. It has always annoyed me that Tesla makes a kind of safety - optional and not even available without the premium package or as a retrofit. The OP could post this on EVERY SUBFORUM and he would be doing us a service. Not most threads - but this one, yes. I'd even vote for making it a *sticky* at the top of every subform on TMC for a couple months to ensure as many people as possible see it.

Thank you, and just to clarify I am not selling anything, I'm not affiliated with that link, its just one of the only places found that sells custom sized filters in a high filtration level

Reactions: Swift
@Crehop Great post and thanks for the info. I have often wondered if the fancy and expensive Bio-defense mode was just an upgraded air filter. I'm still not sure, but this seems to me to be "one point" towards just that...a simple improved air filter. Maybe someone with more technical knowledge can add some background and schematics or something.

Additionally, don't worry about posting in multiple places, accidentally or otherwise. I'm pretty sure it's a free internet. I don't read every forum here, so I miss a lot of great posts and info obviously. I need to find the rules however. If they deny the ability to post the same thing twice, well then we gotta follow that rule and be neighborly.

Reactions: Swift
Wow such simple design. I guess tesla is just using off the shelf concepts. I.e. the same thing we are running in our hour filter. But maybe a bit better quality and slightly better seal.

This got me wondering if the old fascia tesla can be missed to have the higher grade filter. Though it might not be as sealed as the new fascia version.

That is informative.

Looks like a lot of disassembly to put an extra filter in. I hope the PUP adds an easier route to filter replacement for service engineers.

Without the PUP is it possible to activate the positive pressure setting of ‘bioweapon defense mode’? Or in adding a HEPA filter with this mod are you only adding extra filtration?

Great to hear that though these filters might be an unusual size that they are likely off-the -shelf items.