TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How to add a HEPA filter to your non-Bioweapon facelift Model S!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Crehop, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Crehop

Crehop Member

#1 Crehop, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2017
    So I had a hunch because the frunks were the same size even if you didn't order bio-weapon, that Tesla to save production costs put in the Bio-Weapon filtration system in, but just didn't add a filter, I was right.

Youtube comment gave a great place to buy the actual filter in the correct size (14"x27.5"x1") Custom Air Filters for Hard-to-find AC Filter Sizes | Filter Buy cost is $21.89

• Informative x 15
    • Like x 4
    • Helpful x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

isn't there a software requirement also?

3. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

I couldn't get the video to play all the way through. Do you show how to get the climate control screen to activate the mode?

4. idleuser

idleuser Member

Apparently to put the filter to use, the software automatically sets the fan settings to high. Someone on ebay is making a direct drop in filter. The filter being used is more of an air filter used for air conditioning. You would need a HEPA filter similar to a home air filter in order to achieve the same results.

Tesla launches its HEPA air filter with ‘Bioweapon Defense Mode’ as an aftermarket upgrade for Model X
    Tesla Model X HEPA Filter Replacement | eBay

I'm not sure if the ebay filter works for the model s though.

5. Crehop

Crehop Member

#5 Crehop, Oct 14, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2017

That's the model X one, not the Model S, model S is 14X27.5X1

6. Crehop

Crehop Member

It adds the FILTER not the mode, all the mode does is boost the fan for a second or 2 thats IT.

• Disagree x 2
    • Informative x 1
  7. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I don't believe that's correct...

• Like x 3
  8. idleuser

idleuser Member

Correct. As I stated above, i'm not sure if the filter works for the model S but I was answering his question because he has Model X as his avatar.

9. Maximapolak

Maximapolak Member

Thanks for the link...I'll buy 2 platinum filters to have a spare.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  10. LineofSight

LineofSight Member

Welcome to the forum Crehop. Thanks for the interesting post. I think your post(s) is a great intro to the forums. Keep it up. Post wherever you like.

• Like x 16
  11. jjh1234

jjh1234 Member

I agree as well. Thanks for posting this interesting video. I'm surprised nobody else has thought of this. Well done!

• Like x 1
  12. ucmndd

ucmndd Member

I can’t imagine what other sorcery it could be doing. The magic button is just recirc plus a high fan setting to create positive pressure.

• Like x 1
  13. Evoforce

Evoforce Member

Thanks for the info! I think you be able to purchase that filter at the Service Center. I purchased my filter from the SC and it was reasonable.

• Informative x 1
  14. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

Um folks - all of you - this is incredibly valuable information - it is something I have hoped would be possible for a long time and I did not stumble on this anywhere but this thread. Even if she or he is selling this or something - there is a lot of evidence that long term pollution exposure is damaging and also studies seeming to indicate that possibly half of lifetime exposure for most people is while driving because the particulate matter is orders of magnitude more concentrated on roads than away from them. It has always annoyed me that Tesla makes a kind of safety - optional and not even available without the premium package or as a retrofit. The OP could post this on EVERY SUBFORUM and he would be doing us a service. Not most threads - but this one, yes. I'd even vote for making it a *sticky* at the top of every subform on TMC for a couple months to ensure as many people as possible see it.

• Like x 9
    • Love x 1
  15. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

How could it create positive pressure on recirc? It brings in outside air through the hepa filter.

• Like x 3
  16. Crehop

Crehop Member

Thank you, and just to clarify I am not selling anything, I'm not affiliated with that link, its just one of the only places found that sells custom sized filters in a high filtration level

• Like x 1
  17. appleguru

appleguru Member

Great (and very timely) post! I have some more photos in an unrelated thread here: Have my MS AP2 bumper fascia off... if they help anyone take their frunk bin out. Is surprisingly straightforward.

18. Buster1

Buster1 Member

@Crehop Great post and thanks for the info. I have often wondered if the fancy and expensive Bio-defense mode was just an upgraded air filter. I'm still not sure, but this seems to me to be "one point" towards just that...a simple improved air filter. Maybe someone with more technical knowledge can add some background and schematics or something.

Additionally, don't worry about posting in multiple places, accidentally or otherwise. I'm pretty sure it's a free internet. I don't read every forum here, so I miss a lot of great posts and info obviously. I need to find the rules however. If they deny the ability to post the same thing twice, well then we gotta follow that rule and be neighborly.

• Like x 1
  19. No2DinosaurFuel

No2DinosaurFuel Active Member

Wow such simple design. I guess tesla is just using off the shelf concepts. I.e. the same thing we are running in our hour filter. But maybe a bit better quality and slightly better seal.

This got me wondering if the old fascia tesla can be missed to have the higher grade filter. Though it might not be as sealed as the new fascia version.

20. PrGrPa

PrGrPa Supporting Member

That is informative.

Looks like a lot of disassembly to put an extra filter in. I hope the PUP adds an easier route to filter replacement for service engineers.

Without the PUP is it possible to activate the positive pressure setting of ‘bioweapon defense mode’? Or in adding a HEPA filter with this mod are you only adding extra filtration?

Great to hear that though these filters might be an unusual size that they are likely off-the -shelf items.