Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to add a HEPA filter to your non-Bioweapon facelift Model S!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had access to a BWD MS recently and confirmed there is no additional ductwork under the hood. The only difference between a BWD and non-BWD MS is the HEPA filter and the BWD button on the MCU.

The debate over ductwork probably had to do with the retrofit that was offered for the Model X that did not have BWD mode. My understanding is that the older non-BWD MX did require ductwork in addition to the HEPA filter, but I don't have access to either style MX to verify this.

• Informative
Reactions: ishareit
I had access to a BWD MS recently and confirmed there is no additional ductwork under the hood. The only difference between a BWD and non-BWD MS is the HEPA filter and the BWD button on the MCU.

The debate over ductwork probably had to do with the retrofit that was offered for the Model X that did not have BWD mode. My understanding is that the older non-BWD MX did require ductwork in addition to the HEPA filter, but I don't have access to either style MX to verify this.

What would you say is the cutoff for the "older mX"?

Does anyone reading this happen to be in the Las Vegas area and have a Model S with the Bioweapon option? I'm trying to get Tesla to sell me the HEPA filter, but they flatly refuse to sell me one because my car didn't come with the option. I even tried calling a non-local service center and they also told me they can't sell it to me. At this point it seems my only remaining option is to find someone they can/will sell it to and buy it from that person.

I COULD go with the non-HEPA-with-carbon-prefilter option, but I'd really prefer the convenience (I can't believe I just wrote that given my previous paraphrase) of the actual Tesla HEPA filter.

Does anyone reading this happen to be in the Las Vegas area and have a Model S with the Bioweapon option? I'm trying to get Tesla to sell me the HEPA filter, but they flatly refuse to sell me one because my car didn't come with the option. I even tried calling a non-local service center and they also told me they can't sell it to me. At this point it seems my only remaining option is to find someone they can/will sell it to and buy it from that person.

I COULD go with the non-HEPA-with-carbon-prefilter option, but I'd really prefer the convenience (I can't believe I just wrote that given my previous paraphrase) of the actual Tesla HEPA filter.
I bought a filter from FilterBuy - Looks much like a household A/C filter. Took a little finagling to get it in the first time. Then I took it out and reinstalled, rehearsing a "routine" refresh. Took 15 minutes. Next time, I will put in carbon to absorb fumes, but quite happy with the particle filter I have now. Cant see why anyone would put up with some fellow telling you "NO you cant buy one of my filters".

Does anyone know how long the OEM hepa filter from Tesla lasts? or perhaps how often you should be changing it? After a certain amount of miles?

While I want to buy the FilterBuy one, based on what people have been saying....I think I might have a more better shot of them adding the button buying a OEM part then trying to come in after I installed a 3rd party filter.

Does anyone know how long the OEM hepa filter from Tesla lasts? or perhaps how often you should be changing it? After a certain amount of miles?

While I want to buy the FilterBuy one, based on what people have been saying....I think I might have a more better shot of them adding the button buying a OEM part then trying to come in after I installed a 3rd party filter.

They said every 2-3 years or so but using used HEPA filters professionally I can tell you they last way longer.

I’m not from Vegas, but would be happy to buy one from Tesla and ship it to you if you cover the costs...

Does anyone reading this happen to be in the Las Vegas area and have a Model S with the Bioweapon option?
I'm trying to get Tesla to sell me the HEPA filter, but they flatly refuse to sell me one because my car didn't come with the option.
I even tried calling a non-local service center and they also told me they can't sell it to me.
At this point it seems my only remaining option is to find someone they can/will sell it to and buy it from that person.

I COULD go with the non-HEPA-with-carbon-prefilter option, but I'd really prefer the convenience
(I can't believe I just wrote that given my previous paraphrase) of the actual Tesla HEPA filter.

You could also make yourself an HEPA filter using two standard filters from Home Depot for about $40.

Does mileage matter? I would imagine the life of the filter depends on how many miles you drive.
Yes, More importantly how many hours the HEPA is running. Let’s say you drive 2 hours a day (which is a LOT!) AND run the HEPA filter that ENTORE time (you won’t) - that’s ~700 hours a year, or full days.

Good quality; HEPA filters in medical and scientific settings run 24/7 for many many months if not years before needing replacement.

Point is, don’t even think about when you’ll replace the filter - your car will likely outlive even the first filter.

Additionally, a dirty little secret about these filters (no pun intended!) is that as the filter gets “dirty,” it actually gets BETTER at filtering because whatever is already clogged in the filter blocks whatever else is trying to cross the filter! Obviously, there’s a limit to this but it takes a long time!!

Yes, More importantly how many hours the HEPA is running. Let’s say you drive 2 hours a day (which is a LOT!) AND run the HEPA filter that ENTORE time (you won’t) - that’s ~700 hours a year, or full days.

Good quality; HEPA filters in medical and scientific settings run 24/7 for many many months if not years before needing replacement.

Point is, don’t even think about when you’ll replace the filter - your car will likely outlive even the first filter.

Additionally, a dirty little secret about these filters (no pun intended!) is that as the filter gets “dirty,” it actually gets BETTER at filtering because whatever is already clogged in the filter blocks whatever else is trying to cross the filter! Obviously, there’s a limit to this but it takes a long time!!
Does the environment you run the filter in matter? I wonder if Automotive filters are exposed to more pollens and other particulate matter then things in a medical setting.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
So the filter will get dirty by collecting particles. Those particles form "a filter cake" that does indeed make the filter capable of removing finer and finer particles, but at a cost of increased resistance to flow. If you are driving in the clear sky's of the desert, you may only activate the filter when you pass thru a dust storm. Your filter could last multiple years. Miles don't count, particulate load does. If you are in Guatemala and sniffing volcanic ash - you may clog your filter in minutes.
I got an invitation from Filter-buy to get another replacement filter every 3 months. There probably are places that could produce that much dust. But that I think is a rare place.
If you detect a reduction of airflow, then you need to change. If you cant compare last years flow to this years (tough to actually measure for comparison) then simply noticing you have a strong flow is sufficient. Or, you spend 15 minutes, pull the filter and subject it to a compressed air cleaning and reinstall for another few years.

So the filter will get dirty by collecting particles. Those particles form "a filter cake" that does indeed make the filter capable of removing finer and finer particles, but at a cost of increased resistance to flow. If you are driving in the clear sky's of the desert, you may only activate the filter when you pass thru a dust storm. Your filter could last multiple years. Miles don't count, particulate load does. If you are in Guatemala and sniffing volcanic ash - you may clog your filter in minutes.
I got an invitation from Filter-buy to get another replacement filter every 3 months. There probably are places that could produce that much dust. But that I think is a rare place.
If you detect a reduction of airflow, then you need to change. If you cant compare last years flow to this years (tough to actually measure for comparison) then simply noticing you have a strong flow is sufficient. Or, you spend 15 minutes, pull the filter and subject it to a compressed air cleaning and reinstall for another few years.
The HEPA filter is "active" anytime you have the climate control on outside air. There is no alternate path from the outside to the inside that bypasses the HEPA filter.