Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to add a HEPA filter to your non-Bioweapon facelift Model S!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have also I installed Tesla Hepa filter on my non-tech s75 back in 2017 and that time filter was ~$150 only. Recently asked my service center and ranger the cost to install the BWD button and it's still $500! No way I am paying that much just to have the button. Way overpriced just like anything with Tesla. Like there boss claimed on Twitter "service center is not a profit center" yes sure :rolleyes:

Asked my service centre if they would install the HEPA upgrade here in the UK. Seems it's not available as there's a shortage of filters.

Did a bit more googling after finding that Filter Buy seemingly don't ship outside the USA. MERV 13 is equivalent to EN779 F7 class filters for EU folks. The closest I've yet come to finding a filter of the right size is with Add Filtration. But their custom filters are only EN779 G4 (MERV 7 / MERV 8). This stops short of the PM2.5s that the finer filters will eliminate.

Happy to hear from UK folks who've sourced a suitable filter. I did find Southern Filters who say they can make custom F7 panel filters. I'll ask...

Last edited:
Update. Southern Filters thinnest F7 (MERV 13 equivalent) filter is 45mm (1.77 inches). They come with card or metal frames. 355mm x 698mm x 45mm (13.9" x 27.5" x 1.8" approx) GBP46 + VAT (sales tax @20%) + shipping. 0.7" seems like a fair increase in depth, but looking at the videos of retrofits there seems to be some free space there. Any opinions?

Update. Southern Filters thinnest F7 (MERV 13 equivalent) filter is 45mm (1.77 inches). They come with card or metal frames. 355mm x 698mm x 45mm (13.9" x 27.5" x 1.8" approx) GBP46 + VAT (sales tax @20%) + shipping. 0.7" seems like a fair increase in depth, but looking at the videos of retrofits there seems to be some free space there. Any opinions?

Got the filter. Southern's service is excellent. And they were very helpful indeed. I went for the 45mm deep F7 (MERV 13) spec filter. The filter arrived as promised. It was safely packaged up and is very neatly made with a simple cardboard frame.

As measured, it fitted the filter shroud behind the frunk bin perfectly widthways and height wise.

Depth. Depth is a bit trickier. I think up to a 30mm deep filter would be fine. 45mm deep is almost the full depth of the filter shroud at the bottom end. This makes it tricky to fasten the frunk bin on easily as the filter housing pushes right up against it. In the end, I weighed up whether to keep this filter in or go for a G4-spec filter at 25mm deep. I kept it in and it seems OK so far. Air flows OK. Unsure if I can tell much difference between filter in and filter out but I suppose I'll see over the next couple of months as the pollen season gets started.

Things I learned.
1. Southern filters can supply panel filters of different filter grades in custom sizes.
2. The whole process of taking the filter housing out, fitting a filter, and replacing the filter housing and frunk bin takes about 40 minutes at a careful pace. I took 1 hour in total as I tried a couple of ways of putting things back together: filter housing, filter housing + frunk bin, then filter housing again.
3. The filter housing is only about 45mm deep at the bottom.
4. There are a few wires and tubes milling around the area near the frunk and it might be possible to squeeze or pinch some with careless reassembly.
5. doing this upgrade is easy with just a 10mm socket driver
6. next time I'll go for a lower-spec filter with more air room

cool, so it sounds like filterbuy is the place to go get the filter?
Yes and very inexpensive.
I change mine out every year and you should see how dirty it gets. This is definitely an upgrade you should do. Order a few from filterbuy so you dont have to keep ordering them.
IMG-20200720-WA0008.jpg