Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to add a HEPA filter to your non-Bioweapon facelift Model S!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... He gave me a quote of $175 for the filter but could not tell me if it came with a collar or holder of some kind or if the dimensions of the filter were in fact 41.5 x 12 x 1. ... Also, does the filter from Tesla come with the collar/holder shown in the images or just the filter itself because the X already has the filter collar?

The 41.5 x 12 x 1 inch filter from FilterBuy was too long. Cutting it to 40.25 x 12 x 1 inches and using foam double stick tape worked. My December , 2016 MX (Vin 25xxx) had no collar or filter holder, but the tape worked fine. Great modification. Thanks Crehop for this thread.

My filter arrived from FilterBuy and I installed it today. I got the 14x27.5x1 MERV 13 and it fits like a glove and works well. It took about an hour following the video but I could probably do it in 15 if I had to do it again.

In the video, the guy shows the intake and output backwards. He said it right the first time and then corrected himself to the opposite of how it works. The intake is through the two vents and the output is through the single vent. I tested to make sure by running the fan in fresh air mode while everything was apart. The rectangle going in towards the glovebox sucks the air in and you can follow this to the single vent piece. You want to get the filter in the proper direction.

EDIT: I guess it depends on how you look at it. Output of the filter housing is intake to the car.

Last edited:
IMG_2058.JPG
I just got my car back from the service center. The process took about 5 min. I got the bwd mode button. No charge.

Did you only get the big filter? Is there a carbon filter in addition too?
I got the large hepa filter added.
All cars come standard with the cabin filter that is behind the glove box. that filter is impregnated with the activated carbon just as the older Cars that you accessed the filter under the hood. If I get time this week I will remove mine and take a picture.

• Helpful
Reactions: boaterva and Bebop
All cars come standard with the cabin filter that is behind the glove box. that filter is impregnated with the activated carbon just as the older Cars that you accessed the filter under the hood. If I get time this week I will remove mine and take a picture.

If you do, make sure to get the part number that's on it while you've got it out.

That is amazing. Thanks for the info. So all you did was get the big filter, installed it and got your SC to add on the bio weapon button?

Seems pretty simple enough. Does bioweapon actually work for you now?

That is amazing. Thanks for the info. So all you did was get the big filter, installed it and got your SC to add on the bio weapon button?

Seems pretty simple enough. Does bioweapon actually work for you now?
Yes that is all I did. I installed the hepa filter and the service center had my car for all of 5 minutes to enable bioweapon defense mode.
I did not watch how they did it so I am not sure how it was done but it works just like my friends car that came with the pup. When I enable bwd mode the fan goes on 8, ac on, non recirulation, and vents on dash.

• Informative
Reactions: nsxpert and Bebop
I picked up the HEPA filter today at the service center as it was in for annual service, they would not install it or activate the features since they said I did not order it with the car. The technician actually said he did not think the filter would work. Well good news, 20 minutes later I am all set with a new filter. Thanks for figuring this out as it was an easy upgrade. Upgraded lights, upgraded filter, all I need to tackle is the power hatch lift and I will have all premium features for a fraction of the cost.

Thanks to the original poster for all of this great information and the great video tutorial. Got my $20 custom filter from filterbuy.com installed today after I got the Springfield, NJ service center to activate the biodefense mode button in the climate controls earlier this week.

Reactions: Bebop
How much is the Tesla OEM filter, and how much is it better than the one you can get from FilterBuy? Thanks!

Here’s what I’ve gathered;
$150 for Model S and $175 for Model X vs $20-30ish from filterbuy. MERV13 filters from filterbuy seem quite close to HEPA although not quite HEPA ratings. but from what I was reading MERV13 should still help a lot with of and road particulate matter? Other difference I am gathering from asking different people is the official Tesla ones might come with housing that makes it easier to install (possibly just bolt on) vs needing to tape filterbuy ones in (at least for Model X)?

I am going to still try To get official one for MX and report back what I can get. If I can’t, I plan to get this because it has to be better than nothing! If anyone can clarify or correct me from above that would be very helpful. Thanks!

Here’s what I’ve gathered;
$150 for Model S and $175 for Model X vs $20-30ish from filterbuy. MERV13 filters from filterbuy seem quite close to HEPA although not quite HEPA ratings. but from what I was reading MERV13 should still help a lot with of and road particulate matter? Other difference I am gathering from asking different people is the official Tesla ones might come with housing that makes it easier to install (possibly just bolt on) vs needing to tape filterbuy ones in (at least for Model X)?

I am going to still try To get official one for MX and report back what I can get. If I can’t, I plan to get this because it has to be better than nothing! If anyone can clarify or correct me from above that would be very helpful. Thanks!

All looks correct to me. I plan to try to get one as well and hopefully get them to enable the button. Looks like we are both in San Diego, so let's keep each other updated on the progress.