Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to add a HEPA filter to your non-Bioweapon facelift Model S!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with @MarcusMaximus, had all the parts in there (I think that is the case for all facelift MS cars). The Tesla filter is I think worth the cost I think - it is sealed pretty well, the material is quite dense, and man - I have been enjoying the new HEPA filtered air in the cabin :), a new kind of high, lol.

So its been a while since I've upgraded and I'm back for an update. Glad this thread has been so helpful to everyone who's made the change be it just the Merv 13, or to the true HEPA from Tesla. Thanks for all the shout outs and thanks, I haven't had time to do the HEPA video as I'm lazy and I'm selling a house. I did post the original video simply because I thought this was too good to keep to myself :) . I do think this should be stickied as its a GREAT update, and helps with health and that diesel smell when your behind a dirty truck. I've had the Tesla HEPA installed and only on VERY RARE occasion does an outside smell get in, normally its an extremely pungent smell and only have a small wiff of it getting in (burning car smell on the freeway from an accident for example) it COMPLETELY eliminates new car smell that was making me sick and is the best and cheapest upgrade I've done on any car ever. I do recommend that you spring for the Tesla true HEPA filter as its extremely dense and much better then the Merv 13, either way if you want to only spend $20 the merv 13 is much better then nothing, Tesla is a bit difficult to deal with, so I understand if you go that route.

So its been a while since I've upgraded and I'm back for an update. Glad this thread has been so helpful to everyone who's made the change be it just the Merv 13, or to the true HEPA from Tesla. Thanks for all the shout outs and thanks, I haven't had time to do the HEPA video as I'm lazy and I'm selling a house. I did post the original video simply because I thought this was too good to keep to myself :) . I do think this should be stickied as its a GREAT update, and helps with health and that diesel smell when your behind a dirty truck. I've had the Tesla HEPA installed and only on VERY RARE occasion does an outside smell get in, normally its an extremely pungent smell and only have a small wiff of it getting in (burning car smell on the freeway from an accident for example) it COMPLETELY eliminates new car smell that was making me sick and is the best and cheapest upgrade I've done on any car ever. I do recommend that you spring for the Tesla true HEPA filter as its extremely dense and much better then the Merv 13, either way if you want to only spend $20 the merv 13 is much better then nothing, Tesla is a bit difficult to deal with, so I understand if you go that route.

Agreed. The difference in air quality is staggering. And even passing things like a dead skunk, the air smells perfectly clean. I drove my other car(a Nissan Leaf) briefly today and was hit with diesel smell behind a truck that now stands out even more.

Also, of note, I took my car to the Santa Clara SC today for a tire rotation and asked about the BWD button and the guy immediately said no and that they got a bullitin saying not to do it. Oh well. Doing it manually by playing with fan speed seems to work just fine.

Picked up the Tesla HEPA filter today from the Salt Lake service center. Comes complete with the housing. Filter is firmly sealed inside the housing. Don't know when I will have time to install but sure will be nice. Have included pictures of receipt, and front and back of filter in housing.

IMG_2512.JPG IMG_2513.JPG IMG_2514.JPG

Forgot to mention that the SC rep reminded me that since my X did not come with Bio-Defense mode, I would not have the "button". I asked if it were possible for them to install it and he quickly responded that they do not have the capability of doing that any longer. My guess is that means they were told not to. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

• Informative
Reactions: Bebop
So is Autopilot. BWDM is one of the limited number of features now in the premium package, it's understandable why they'd want to limit activation for those who don't have premium.

They used to have an option to buy it separately. Why don't allow people to buy it after delivery? Besides, it's not really a feature it just a shortcut with a nice button, you can always buy filter separately.

Installed today in my Model X. Easier than the Model S install shows. Basic steps are:
1. Take off all the trim around the top, sides and front of frunk.
These are just pop out pins so don't force it, be gentle.
2. Take off the rubber seal all around the frunk. Its easy
to get back on.
3. disconnect the two frunk lights. (same as the Model S
video.
4. remove frunk felt liner. Lift out (one big piece.
5. Unbolt all the bolts holding in the frunk main casing. 3/32 bolts. About 16 of them.
6. Remove the old casing for the HEPA filter. Slide the new
casing with the new filter into place. Goes in easily.
7. Put the frunk plastic casing back in place, lining up the
holes where the screws go. Screw all the 16 screws back in.
8. Replace felt lining. Fitting the lights into the correct openings.
9. Replace rubber seal around frunk, working into place.
10. Replace the plastic trip pieces around the frunk, working slowly and pressing them into place.
Thats it. Only broke one small pin connector.
4ms51CenRBSkG9RFKWoEsA.jpg RgD4YmJYT++7OpN1h6oUGw.jpg nXyafIW6QlOgLLbaX8OEhg.jpg hoKZO28NTwSoq4B8yGs7gQ.jpg F6+OJyxAS6aQXgl+%aQDUw.jpg UnQy9rmMSC2JBM+PKtWfpQ.jpg 0jWoeYH2RkCEuMU5%Gv2TQ.jpg Uoba02fqQm2cskEndMKbiQ.jpg

For those with a model X who can't get the factory filter. The process described above would work the same. Just take the old housing out and built a MERV 13 or more filter into the housing being sure to seal it up well around the edges. Then replace it and put everyone back together. Should work just fine.
Haven't testing mine in real world situations yet. Need to drive around awhile and see if I can find some burning leave piles and drive thru the smoke.

Installed today in my Model X. Easier than the Model S install shows. Basic steps are:
to get back on.
video.
5. Unbolt all the bolts holding in the frunk main casing. 3/32 bolts. About 16 of them.
10. Replace the plastic trip pieces around the frunk, working slowly and pressing them into place.
View attachment 262585 View attachment 262586 View attachment 262588 View attachment 262589 View attachment 262590 View attachment 262591 View attachment 262592 View attachment 262593

That’s the exact process I did for my S.

to get back on.
video.
View attachment 262585 View attachment 262586 View attachment 262588 View attachment 262589 View attachment 262590 View attachment 262591 View attachment 262592 View attachment 262593

NICE, thanks for this you should post this in model X forum to let them know how easy upgrade is

I stopped by the SC today around lunch and had the HEPA filter installed on my new 75D in almost no time!
  • HEPA FILTER - MODEL S (Part # 1059333-00-D): $150
  • Total Labor & Miscellaneous Items: $30
I was ready to do the installation myself, but I gladly let them do it since they offered.
I am happy! They couldn't activate the Bio button for me, but that's OK, I didn't expect them to.
I can easily control the fan speed from the steering wheel, good enough for me!

P.S. Thanks to Crehop and everyone else who posted in this thread! Very helpful!

Reactions: PrGrPa
Just wanted to say THANK YOU to all who provided information in this thread and not the least to you guys taking your time creating the installation videos.

I installed the filter yesterday and I'm really AMAZED how big of a difference it is. I do a lot of city driving and have a quite sensitive nose and smell just about anything. Diesel and odor fumes have been coming into the cabin on literally all my drives, but that is for sure now history. The HEPA-filter just filters it out completely. Had a drive behind an old diesel bus and was stuck in a traffic jam on my way home and it smell as fresh as ever inside my car :)

The HEPA filter was actually the only thing missing in the inventory car I bought. With this cheap install you have all the stuff that was included in the "old" premium package since everything else is standard with premium lights, electric tailgate, etc. I didn't want the upgraded stereo or need the winter package so this came in like a bargain in the end because I was on the fence to order the Premium pack just for the filter.

I bought the original filter from Tesla and wanted to do the installation myself. Haven't asked for the Bio Defense upgrade, but don't see the need for it. It just increase the fan speed a few steps anyway and that could be replicated manually with a few steps.

Just a tip to other who install. The procedure shown in the Model X video posted in this thread work out exactly the same in the S. It's actually easier to unscrew all the screws in the Frunk and the air flow parts above the frunk are not necessary to remove while installing. The installation took about 30 minutes and was very easy.

Anyone who have an X or a face-lifted S without the filter from factory should perform this install. I'd also recommend going for the Tesla original filter, it's not very expensive and it's for sure easier to install and no risk having leaks etc.

Happy HEPA :)

Last edited:
Mine is on order from my local SC. They've been very clear they won't install it or unlock BWD mode, but they would sell it to me via the parts department. One guy mentioned there was an email that was sent letting the SC know not to unlock the button. Oh well, just having the filter will be a very nice upgrade.

Reactions: PrGrPa