Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to add FAST wireless charging.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's my x6 Zendure plugged into my Tesla, being charged (the LCD is lit up and blinking = charging), while fast charging my s9+ at the same time.

20191102_094200.jpg
Screenshot_20191102-094240_One_UI_Home.jpg

So it's working as advertised. Charging and being charged at the same time.

Weird.

You said you didn't read the proof. Let's see if this is a matter of semantics.

To you, the word "charging" or "charge" means... (Pick 1:)
A: The X6 battery level has to be going up.
B:The X6 is "charging" but the battery level can be going down, like when a phone says "charging" but Pokemon Go is draining it faster than it can charge.

I define "charging" as type A. The battery level has to be going up.

All of my statements are based on my defining charging as the battery level is going up, not 'it's getting external power and says its charging but the battery level is going down'. If you want to define charging as the latter, then that's fine. It's charging. Its battery level is going down. And yes, it will do this, just like a phone can.

My statement that it's not charging is based on the fact that when there is more power coming out of the pack going in, the battery level will go down even though it says "charging". So the pack may be "charging", but the battery in it is not going up, so it's not charging the battery in the pack.

I think the point is, if the battery back can dump power to the Qi pad fast enough to fast-charge the phone, and sip power from the Tesla sedately enough to not lock out the USB ports, it's win/win. Once the phone(s) is/are charged, the draw from the battery will go down and allow it to recharge itself.

Reactions: Kitfox
I think the point is, if the battery back can dump power to the Qi pad fast enough to fast-charge the phone, and sip power from the Tesla sedately enough to not lock out the USB ports, it's win/win. Once the phone(s) is/are charged, the draw from the battery will go down and allow it to recharge itself.

Which is exactly what I said at post #31 in this thread ( How to add FAST wireless charging. )

The idea behind a pass-through system is that the source (the car) will be used as the primary power source for the load. If it's not providing enough power, energy is pulled from the battery to supplement it. If the source provides more power than the load requires, the extra power from the source is fed into the battery slowly.

Take a 1.0 amp source. If the load is 700mA, the battery is charged at 300mA. If the load is 2.5A, 1.0A is taken from the source and then 1.5A from the battery.

It sounds like just difference in the meaning of "charging" to us. We're both right about our respective things,but we're talking about two different things. Make sense?

So I have a Pixel 3 which has this stupid proprietary charging handshake thing to go over 5Watts but 5 Watts wont run things and charge very well so I just picked up a used Pixel stand from ebay and plan on hacking it into my Jeda. THe pixel stand actually has 2 coils in it so I shouild be able to do both the left side and the landscape coil. I use the right side for a lightning connector for my work phone. I haven't torn up the Jeda yet but Im hoping theres enough room.

So I have a Pixel 3 which has this stupid proprietary charging handshake thing to go over 5Watts but 5 Watts wont run things and charge very well
It's interesting that you say that because I have a Pixel 3 XL, and I've started my drive home with 60% on my phone's battery and arrived home ~25 miles later with around 70%, more often than not using streaming audio from my phone via Bluetooth. With the Jeda pad.

So I have a Pixel 3 which has this stupid proprietary charging handshake thing to go over 5Watts but 5 Watts wont run things and charge very well so I just picked up a used Pixel stand from ebay and plan on hacking it into my Jeda. THe pixel stand actually has 2 coils in it so I shouild be able to do both the left side and the landscape coil. I use the right side for a lightning connector for my work phone. I haven't torn up the Jeda yet but Im hoping theres enough room.

If you're rooted you can enable faster wireless charging on the pixel 3 without the pixel stand...

Watts are a measurement of energy (1W ~= 1 Joule/second), not electricity. If you care about the waste output, use watts. If you care about potential energy storage, use watts over time (i. e watt-hours). If you care about actual energy in the circuit, use volts and amps.

...volts and amps.

Are you familiar with how the voltage handling of Qi 1.2 and various phones with wireless chargers works? I'm not at all, so I'm wondering how that factors in.
Does the wireless charger have a boost circuit when it's only able to get 5V, or does it just limit itself to feeding the phone five?
Does the wireless charger negotiate voltage with the source if the source is capable of such?
That kind of thing could impact the best setup in interesting ways. I've gotta get more up to date on that.

Let me know how that works out. I have a Pixel 3 and just found out that it won't charge faster than 5w. I might follow your lead if you are successful.

Something for iPhone users to be aware of is that the iOS 13.1 update decreased Qi charging speeds from 7.5W to 5W. It’s effectively useless to wirelessly charge an iPhone.

Some 7.5W Wireless Fast Chargers Limited to 5W as of iOS 13.1
This is a huge bummer. Just got an answer back with taptes and they said that after ios 13.1 no iphone will have fast charging with their product. Seems like theres a few home fast wireless chargers being sold in the apple store that are still compatible, but doubt anything will be made for the car.

For the record this means you won't get fast charging even with the above mentioned battery packs, or by running a cable from the 12V port. Don't waste your time, and either go for wired charging when you really need something fast, or just settle on the 5W wireless

Let me know how that works out. I have a Pixel 3 and just found out that it won't charge faster than 5w. I might follow your lead if you are successful.

if you are rooted you can enable fast charging on any adapter without having to hack anything electronically (other than the software, of course). it won't charge as fast as the pixel stand, but it will charge faster than the 5w google limits other chargers to.

Pixel 3: Enabling ~2x faster wireless charge : GooglePixel