Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to add FAST wireless charging.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Celebrated too soon, the powerpack option didn't work as good as expected.

Problem seems to be the passthru mode - If both output (to wireless charger) and input (from car usb) are connected it seems to kill the car USB port and only a reboot brings it pack.

My guess is that because of passthru mode, the powerpack is outputting 9v/1.5A for the quick charge output, but the powerpack is also trying to pull the same from the car - which it doesn't support and USB port says "nope", shutting down.

sigh.
Why can't Tesla just put a damn 12V in the front, or at least don't put the 12v outlet in a closed enclosure.

So as the title says - I know there are plenty of wireless pads for the TM3, but these are the slow type that will still drain the phone while having the screen on / gps ( Waze ). I have a fast wireless charger dock in my old car and it was works great.

I have seen people mention they can use a pass-thru powerback to power the wireless quick charger.
Have anyone done that, and if so what combo ( powerback + chargeing pad ) are you using?

Celebrated too soon, the powerpack option didn't work as good as expected.

Problem seems to be the passthru mode - If both output (to wireless charger) and input (from car usb) are connected it seems to kill the car USB port and only a reboot brings it pack.

My guess is that because of passthru mode, the powerpack is outputting 9v/1.5A for the quick charge output, but the powerpack is also trying to pull the same from the car - which it doesn't support and USB port says "nope", shutting down..

You need to get a battery bank with passthrough AND auto-on detecting/smart charging, and this guy has it all!

Zendure x6:

[PASS-THROUGH CHARGING] You can charge your phones while Endure X6 is being charged.
[AUTO-ON SMART CHARGING] Each port automatically detects your device and fine tunes the output to charge it at maximum speed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075Q5VLGK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Best battery bank you can get for the Model 3, hands down! Using it in combination with testap v2 w/ horizontal charging dock. Get full 'fast charge' (quickcharge) speeds on my Samsung 9+. I plug the taptes directly into the battery bank and if I need to, plug the battery bank into the left Tesla USB port. It auto-detects like a pro and never needs to be "turned on". Its 20,000mAh so its almost impossible to drain it on a single average drive, so I hardly have it plugged into the Tesla. I only want to use pass-through when absolutely necessary to preserve the battery bank and put less stress on it. You will see lots of reviews mentioning they have it for their Model 3. I was lucky enough to get it on sale last month for $70 (normally $120), so keep an eye out for sales.

You need to get a battery bank with passthrough AND auto-on detecting/smart charging, and this guy has it all!

Zendure x6:

[PASS-THROUGH CHARGING] You can charge your phones while Endure X6 is being charged.
[AUTO-ON SMART CHARGING] Each port automatically detects your device and fine tunes the output to charge it at maximum speed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075Q5VLGK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Best battery bank you can get for the Model 3, hands down! Using it in combination with testap v2 w/ horizontal charging dock. Get full 'fast charge' (quickcharge) speeds on my Samsung 9+. I plug the taptes directly into the battery bank and if I need to, plug the battery bank into the left Tesla USB port. It auto-detects like a pro and never needs to be "turned on". Its 20,000mAh so its almost impossible to drain it on a single average drive, so I hardly have it plugged into the Tesla. I only want to use pass-through when absolutely necessary to preserve the battery bank and put less stress on it. You will see lots of reviews mentioning they have it for their Model 3. I was lucky enough to get it on sale last month for $70 (normally $120), so keep an eye out for sales.

$120??!??!?!?!?!

Holy crap

Reactions: gaswalla
$120??!??!?!?!?!

Holy crap

It used to be a lot less, but a bunch of Tesla peeps started linking to it directly so costs went up.

Some people install a 12V tap in the center console but that is rather complex and requires drilling out the back of the console area and such to tap into the power for the USB hub in the front of the center console.

Noninvasively, I've had success running a cable along the seam between the aluminum and the plastic on the driver's side of the center console. It can be tacked down with clear silicone caulk and if the wire is an appropriate color, it doesn't show. The silicone caulk comes off rather easily when/if you need to take it off.

It used to be a lot less, but a bunch of Tesla peeps started linking to it directly so costs went up.

Some people install a 12V tap in the center console but that is rather complex and requires drilling out the back of the console area and such to tap into the power for the USB hub in the front of the center console.

Noninvasively, I've had success running a cable along the seam between the aluminum and the plastic on the driver's side of the center console. It can be tacked down with clear silicone caulk and if the wire is an appropriate color, it doesn't show. The silicone caulk comes off rather easily when/if you need to take it off.

Can you confirm that you can plug run it in passthrough mode and still have fast wireless charging while the powerpack is charging at slower rate? The problem i have with my previous battery pack as i mentioned above is that when in passthru mode, it kills the car usb port cause its outputting 9v /1.5amps and its trying to pull the same from the car usb port and it kills it.

I have seen the videos of adding a 12v socket or route some wires along the trim, I should be able to do it, I just wait to avoid drilling holes in the car if i can avoid it, although the cleanest job would be tapping the 12v lines and adding the socket next to the usb ports.

Can you confirm that you can plug run it in passthrough mode and still have fast wireless charging while the powerpack is charging at slower rate? The problem i have with my previous battery pack as i mentioned above is that when in passthru mode, it kills the car usb port cause its outputting 9v /1.5amps and its trying to pull the same from the car usb port and it kills it.

I have seen the videos of adding a 12v socket or route some wires along the trim, I should be able to do it, I just wait to avoid drilling holes in the car if i can avoid it, although the cleanest job would be tapping the 12v lines and adding the socket next to the usb ports.
It says on the product listing for it on amazon that it explicitly doesn’t do this unfortunately :(

Just an update:

I ordered the TapTes model I linked above and used a QC 2.0 / 3.0 Battery pack to power ($25 buxs) it instead of the car USB - which is connected to charge the powerpack, aka "Passthru" mode.

It showed Fast Wireless Charging on my S9!

Success. No need to route the 12v power over.
I’m trying to figure out what the diff is btwn your link and this one.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q9L6DJN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_P9ATDbXKS2VVH

maybe the one I pasted just a newer version?

Last edited:

I personally cannot because I do not use it. I have a Jeda hub in the center console and an on-trim wire run from the armrest to behind the car display.

I can say that technology-wise (and physics-wise), a battery is a one-pipe, one-way-at-a-time thing. Either it's getting power or it's providing power. The idea behind a pass-through system is that the source (the car) will be used as the primary power source for the load. If it's not providing enough power, energy is pulled from the battery to supplement it. If the source provides more power than the load requires, the extra power from the source is fed into the battery slowly.

Take a 1.0 amp source. If the load is 700mA, the battery is charged at 300mA. If the load is 2.5A, 1.0A is taken from the source and then 1.5A from the battery. That's in a proper supplemental system. In a poorly-designed system, the 2.5A load will cause it to try to pull 2.5A from the source and trigger the overload protection on the source, then the battery kicks in to provide 2.5A because the source is "unplugged". This is dumb and it should feel bad for being so dumb.

Reactions: dvaz and mikeshyu
I personally cannot because I do not use it. I have a Jeda hub in the center console and an on-trim wire run from the armrest to behind the car display.

I can say that technology-wise (and physics-wise), a battery is a one-pipe, one-way-at-a-time thing. Either it's getting power or it's providing power. The idea behind a pass-through system is that the source (the car) will be used as the primary power source for the load. If it's not providing enough power, energy is pulled from the battery to supplement it. If the source provides more power than the load requires, the extra power from the source is fed into the battery slowly.

Take a 1.0 amp source. If the load is 700mA, the battery is charged at 300mA. If the load is 2.5A, 1.0A is taken from the source and then 1.5A from the battery. That's in a proper supplemental system. In a poorly-designed system, the 2.5A load will cause it to try to pull 2.5A from the source and trigger the overload protection on the source, then the battery kicks in to provide 2.5A because the source is "unplugged". This is dumb and it should feel bad for being so dumb.

Thanks, I ended up pulling the trigger on that pack, albeit the "used, Amazon Warehouse" version for $70 buxs. Can always return it if it behaves the same as the cheaper pack.

Should get it delivered today, so lets see if that works.

Update:

Can confirm the Zendure X6 works like a charm. - Fast Wireless Charge on my S9 on passthru mode, it doesn't kill the USB port like the Ravpower pack did. Only one port supports QC 3.0/2.0 tho, but its okay.

I added an Inline USB On/Off switch so i can easily turn passthru mode on or off, (basically to recharge the battery pack). At 20k mAh, It will last a while till i need to recharge it.

The white version is listed at $88 buxs, i got mine "used" for $70 from Amazon warehouse but it was in perfect condition.

• Helpful
Reactions: DopeGhoti
Update:

Can confirm the Zendure X6 works like a charm. - Fast Wireless Charge on my S9 on passthru mode, it doesn't kill the USB port like the Ravpower pack did. Only one port supports QC 3.0/2.0 tho, but its okay.

I added an Inline USB On/Off switch so i can easily turn passthru mode on or off, (basically to recharge the battery pack). At 20k mAh, It will last a while till i need to recharge it.

The white version is listed at $88 buxs, i got mine "used" for $70 from Amazon warehouse but it was in perfect condition.

Guinea pig?
Uhh apparently you didnt read any of my original post as I stated everything you just said and confirmed it worked from personal experience. Why do you think I recommended this to you in the first place? lol

And yes, like I said, you can fastcharge while charging from the tesla and it does not effect the QC speed/nor does it kill the Tesla. Whoever stated earlier that it's a pass-thru to charge from the Tesla directly doesn't understand the product or how it works.

The tesla will charge the battery pack at a slow rate, while the battery can provide external power at a fast rate. It's drawing power from the battery bank, not the Tesla. That is the entire point of getting this product.

Last edited:
The tesla will charge the battery pack at a slow rate, while the battery can provide external power at a fast rate. It's drawing power from the battery bank, not the Tesla. That is the entire point of getting this product.

Very important physics caveat:
The Tesla will charge the battery pack at a slow rate when the battery pack is not being used to power something.

• Disagree
Reactions: mlkmade
Sorry but you're wrong.

Batteries don't have an "In" and an "Out" end like a hose. Energy can either go into it or out of it, and it's all one "pipe" (two wires). If energy is coming out of the battery, no energy is going into it.

When nothing is drawing from the pack, it will take energy from the Tesla into the pack at a low amperage to charge the lithium ion cells. When something is drawing from the pack at an amperage higher than the car can provide, the energy needs to come out of the lithium ion cells. I can't speak from personal examination to whether this energy is used to supplement the low amperage draw on the Tesla or to supersede it, however other people have indicated it supersedes. In either case, no energy can be used to charge the lithium ion cells while they are being discharged.

If you're uncertain of my claims, LMGTFY then remember that when current increases, voltage drops based on supply capability. I'll let you Google that part yourself.

• Disagree
Reactions: mlkmade