Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to add google maps route to your car (Tesla Model 3)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It would be fantastic if the google maps implementation in the car could link with one's google account to pull sophisticated routes down to the car.

Alternatively, I would not mind sitting with an enhanced Tesla App to plan a complex trip so long as the app could then communicate it to the car. Seems like a lot of work to duplicate what Google Maps already does for us.

The forthcoming V9 software reportedly adds waypoints, to allow a user to enter multiple destinations for a single trip. Initially, users will need to setup waypoints in the car, but, in the future, Tesla could add the ability to enter waypoints using the Android / iPhone app.

The forthcoming V9 software reportedly adds waypoints, to allow a user to enter multiple destinations for a single trip. For now, it looks like this can only be setup in the car, but, in the future, Tesla could potentially ass the ability to enter waypoints using the Android / iPhone app.

It would be great! Any idea when it's coming out?

The capability to sync your calendar from your phone and send a destination address from the native map applications on iOS & Android were added to in the car/app software updates last month.

Yes, though sadly all it sends is a destination address... not the route or any waypoints.

Which means the Tesla nav still can't handle things a Garmin from 15 years ago could.

Yes, though sadly all it sends is a destination address... not the route or any waypoints.

Which means the Tesla nav still can't handle things a Garmin from 15 years ago could.

Not having waypoints is a nuisance but Tesla said it is forthcoming.

Why would you want to send a static route to a navigation system? Traffic when you set the route can be considerably different than when you are traveling it? Reminds me of when I drove cross the country in the 90's with the trip planner prepared by AAA.

Why would you want to send a static route to a navigation system?

Several reasons- for example-

1) It would have waypoints (which Tesla has said is "coming" for a long time.... but this is a problem folks had solved in like 2003. What's the hold up?

2) It would let me pick which of several different routes google maps offers I want to use- unlike the Tesla nav that picks a route and gives you no choice.

N
Traffic when you set the route can be considerably different than when you are traveling it?

Just like the Tesla nav, googles map would already have accounted for traffic in creating the route (and usually with better traffic data than Tesla)... then the Tesla nav once it has the route can always update said route based on changes in traffic if they're significant enough to save you enough time (which is already a setting in the nav system on the Tesla anyway so something it already does).

Several reasons- for example-

1) It would have waypoints (which Tesla has said is "coming" for a long time.... but this is a problem folks had solved in like 2003. What's the hold up?

2) It would let me pick which of several different routes google maps offers I want to use- unlike the Tesla nav that picks a route and gives you no choice.

Just like the Tesla nav, googles map would already have accounted for traffic in creating the route (and usually with better traffic data than Tesla)... then the Tesla nav once it has the route can always update said route based on changes in traffic if they're significant enough to save you enough time (which is already a setting in the nav system on the Tesla anyway so something it already does).

By your example, if you pick a different route using google maps (and its traffic at the time it calculated the route) and send it to Tesla, Tesla will re-route immediately to its preferred route as it will calculate to be faster due to its traffic information. The only way to keep the route you pick is to have Tesla not reroute ever which can lead you to a route that may be at a complete standstill.

By your example, if you pick a different route using google maps (and its traffic at the time it calculated the route) and send it to Tesla, Tesla will re-route immediately to its preferred route as it will calculate to be faster due to its traffic information.

You can't send a route to Tesla.

that's the problem.

In part because the car is too dumb to understand way-points.

(and mainly it's needed because the car is also too dumb to offer alternate routes)

The only way to keep the route you pick is to have Tesla not reroute ever which can lead you to a route that may be at a complete standstill.

Currently there's a setting for if it will re-route you at all for traffic, and if so how much time it has to save you- so that's fine. If my sent route suddenly became 30 minutes slower than an alternative due to new traffic I'd WANT to be re-routed anyway.

But at least it would retain any waypoints in that routing, which would be a vast improvement over today.

And If they ever make the nav smart enough to handle "sent" routes from other software you could even easily have a separate re-route threshold setting for "sent" routes vs native ones if you wanted to reduce rerouting on 'sent' routes over native ones.

You can't send a route to Tesla.
that's the problem.
In part because the car is too dumb to understand way-points.
(and mainly it's needed because the car is also too dumb to offer alternate routes)
I would add: You can't change or customize a route that the Tesla Nav decides for you
based on your current location and the given destination.

This why I mute the Tesla voice command!!!

Most of the time I always like to adjust the itinerary that Google propose.
This is quite easy using Google by grabbing one of the big 'dot' along the route, with your mouse.
And then you can force Google to pass at a particular location.

With the Tesla Nav, if you don't follow the itinerary,
you get a constant reminder to "make a U-turn" at the next intersection to go back to the original route.

However, after been driving for while on your own itinerary, and if (I guess) the Tesla Nav realises now than
there is is shorter way to reach your destination using a new route,
than if you were going to make a U-turn and go back to the original route,
then in this case a new itinerary is display on the Tesla Nav, and the Tesla voice stop to ask you to go back....

Why would you want to send a static route to a navigation system? Traffic when you set the route can be considerably different than when you are traveling it? Reminds me of when I drove cross the country in the 90's with the trip planner prepared by AAA.

Depending on my objective, I may want to take the back roads. Tesla Navigation provides ZERO options. Do we really need to explain why we want options?