TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How to add google maps route to your car (Tesla Model 3)?

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by RealDeael, Jun 15, 2018.

1. RealDeael

RealDeael Member

Hello everyone,
    Very often I need to visit 5-6 addresses in a row.

It's quite easy to create such a route in Google Maps desktop.

Is there any way to add this route to your maps on Tesla Model 3?
    Thanks a lot!

• Like x 1
  2. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy ALWAYS IN LUDICROUS MODE! P90D>P100D Upgrade

no

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  3. goto10

goto10 Member

This is one of those cases where the amazing experience of driving in a car from the future is interrupted to remind you that not *all* of the car is from the future. The maps and media experience is not on par with what you may used to from mobile apps or other vehicles.

• Like x 2
  4. RealDeael

RealDeael Member

#4 RealDeael, Jun 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    I agree it doesn't look smart in such a SMART car.

• Funny x 1
  5. RichardL

RichardL Member

does the 3 integrate the calendar, like the S and X? Mostly people create a series of appointments with the waypoint addresses. When they shows up in the car, you can touch the address to navigate.

A cludge, I know, but it works for some

• Like x 1
  6. goto10

goto10 Member

The 3 does not currently have the calendar feature. I don't know if they plan to add it.

• Informative x 1
  7. eHaw

eHaw Member

It would be fantastic if the google maps implementation in the car could link with one's google account to pull sophisticated routes down to the car.

Alternatively, I would not mind sitting with an enhanced Tesla App to plan a complex trip so long as the app could then communicate it to the car. Seems like a lot of work to duplicate what Google Maps already does for us.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  8. KenF

KenF Member

The forthcoming V9 software reportedly adds waypoints, to allow a user to enter multiple destinations for a single trip. Initially, users will need to setup waypoints in the car, but, in the future, Tesla could add the ability to enter waypoints using the Android / iPhone app.

9. RealDeael

RealDeael Member

It would be great! Any idea when it's coming out?

10. KenF

KenF Member

Elon said September (= look for the update in November).

• Like x 1
  11. TT97

TT97 Active Member

Elon already announced that Calendar Integration is "coming soon" to the 3 (no ETA given but those are meaningless from him anyway).

Twitter

12. AlbyZ

AlbyZ New Member

13. swaltner

swaltner Member

The capability to sync your calendar from your phone and send a destination address from the native map applications on iOS & Android were added to in the car/app software updates last month.

14. Knightshade

Knightshade Active Member

Yes, though sadly all it sends is a destination address... not the route or any waypoints.

Which means the Tesla nav still can't handle things a Garmin from 15 years ago could.

15. TT97

TT97 Active Member

Not having waypoints is a nuisance but Tesla said it is forthcoming.

Why would you want to send a static route to a navigation system? Traffic when you set the route can be considerably different than when you are traveling it? Reminds me of when I drove cross the country in the 90's with the trip planner prepared by AAA.

16. Knightshade

Several reasons- for example-

1) It would have waypoints (which Tesla has said is "coming" for a long time.... but this is a problem folks had solved in like 2003. What's the hold up?

2) It would let me pick which of several different routes google maps offers I want to use- unlike the Tesla nav that picks a route and gives you no choice.

Just like the Tesla nav, googles map would already have accounted for traffic in creating the route (and usually with better traffic data than Tesla)... then the Tesla nav once it has the route can always update said route based on changes in traffic if they're significant enough to save you enough time (which is already a setting in the nav system on the Tesla anyway so something it already does).

17. TT97

TT97 Active Member

By your example, if you pick a different route using google maps (and its traffic at the time it calculated the route) and send it to Tesla, Tesla will re-route immediately to its preferred route as it will calculate to be faster due to its traffic information. The only way to keep the route you pick is to have Tesla not reroute ever which can lead you to a route that may be at a complete standstill.

18. Knightshade

You can't send a route to Tesla.

that's the problem.

In part because the car is too dumb to understand way-points.

(and mainly it's needed because the car is also too dumb to offer alternate routes)

Currently there's a setting for if it will re-route you at all for traffic, and if so how much time it has to save you- so that's fine. If my sent route suddenly became 30 minutes slower than an alternative due to new traffic I'd WANT to be re-routed anyway.

But at least it would retain any waypoints in that routing, which would be a vast improvement over today.

And If they ever make the nav smart enough to handle "sent" routes from other software you could even easily have a separate re-route threshold setting for "sent" routes vs native ones if you wanted to reduce rerouting on 'sent' routes over native ones.

19. NeverFollow

NeverFollow Member

I would add: You can't change or customize a route that the Tesla Nav decides for you
    based on your current location and the given destination.

This why I mute the Tesla voice command!!!

Most of the time I always like to adjust the itinerary that Google propose.
    This is quite easy using Google by grabbing one of the big 'dot' along the route, with your mouse.
    And then you can force Google to pass at a particular location.

With the Tesla Nav, if you don't follow the itinerary,
    you get a constant reminder to "make a U-turn" at the next intersection to go back to the original route.

However, after been driving for while on your own itinerary, and if (I guess) the Tesla Nav realises now than
    there is is shorter way to reach your destination using a new route,
    than if you were going to make a U-turn and go back to the original route,
    then in this case a new itinerary is display on the Tesla Nav, and the Tesla voice stop to ask you to go back....