Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to add google maps route to your car (Tesla Model 3)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Depending on my objective, I may want to take the back roads. Tesla Navigation provides ZERO options. Do we really need to explain why we want options?

You still wouldn't want a static route. If you want to take the Beltway clockwise to go from Bethesda to Tysons Corner, that's your prerogative, but you can't be upset that it will not route you that way. The Trip Planner is programmed to minimize the time you spend driving and charging. Do we really need to explain why it will not route you through the scenic tour?

• Disagree
Reactions: cwmagui
You still wouldn't want a static route. If you want to take the Beltway clockwise to go from Bethesda to Tysons Corner, that's your prerogative, but you can't be upset that it will not route you that way. The Trip Planner is programmed to minimize the time you spend driving and charging. Do we really need to explain why it will not route you through the scenic tour?

Yes, you do.

Because I might have 5 other places I need to hit between those locations where going counter-clockwise on the beltway is a terrible route.

But since Tesla can't crack the secret of waypoints or the traveling salesman problem that Garmin had figured out in 2003, and can't understand ANY route other than A to B it has no way to handle that requirement.

Yes, you do.

Because I might have 5 other places I need to hit between those locations where going counter-clockwise on the beltway is a terrible route.

But since Tesla can't crack the secret of waypoints or the traveling salesman problem that Garmin had figured out in 2003, and can't understand ANY route other than A to B it has no way to handle that requirement.

Just use Calendar Sync. All my appointments show up and just click on it for immediate routing. You can set up to have the calendar show up every morning, mornings and afternoons or every time. Perfect for the travelling salesman.

• Disagree
Just use Calendar Sync. All my appointments show up and just click on it for immediate routing. You can set up to have the calendar show up every morning, mornings and afternoons or every time. Perfect for the travelling salesman.

No, your suggestion does literally nothing to help the problem.

Because all it can do is route you to ONE destination.

The entire point of a GPS being able to solve the travelling salesman problem (which, again, Garmins were doing 15+ years ago) is you can tell it:

I have to go these 5 (or however many) places today. Find me the most optimal route to hit all of them.

And it does.

Because unlike Tesla it's capable of solving routing problems like a device actually made in this century.

Waypoints and optimal routing are incredibly useful features I've been enjoying for almost 2 decades now, just not in a Tesla.... but hey, I've got directable fart noises!

No, your suggestion does literally nothing to help the problem.

Because all it can do is route you to ONE destination.

The entire point of a GPS being able to solve the travelling salesman problem (which, again, Garmins were doing 15+ years ago) is you can tell it:

I have to go these 5 (or however many) places today. Find me the most optimal route to hit all of them.

And it does.

Because unlike Tesla it's capable of solving routing problems like a device actually made in this century.

Waypoints and optimal routing are incredibly useful features I've been enjoying for almost 2 decades now, just not in a Tesla.... but hey, I've got directable fart noises!

To be fair, solving the traveling salesman problem isn't something that Google Maps can do either.

Reactions: TT97
To be fair, solving the traveling salesman problem isn't something that Google Maps can do either.

No, but dedicated car GPS units can...and have since at least 2004 (which is when I got my first one that did it, with a now-antique 15 year old ARM processor).

and even google maps handles waypoints so you can at least manually solve the problem if you want (just move the waypoints around to find the shortest route by either time or distance)

Do you simply refuse to acknowledge that we want a navigation system that is comparable to what is readily available? Why would you think that kludging together system of calendars and appointments is better?

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Do you simply refuse to acknowledge that we want a navigation system that is comparable to what is readily available? Why would you think that kludging together system of calendars and appointments is better?

Funny, cause I made this comment back in November on this thread...

Not having waypoints is a nuisance but Tesla said it is forthcoming.

I profusely apologize that only stating it as a nuisance is not the call of arms you desire when you decided to revive a thread that died five months ago.

• Disagree
That's true, but it cannot solve the travelllng salesman problem, which is what Knightshade was talking about.

Also true- but at least google can let YOU solve it in a minute or two, because it supports waypoints

So you just put in the starting location, then the places you need to hit as waypoints.... then you swap the waypoints around until you see which order gives you the shortest route.

In a Tesla this is impossible to do at all since it can't understand anything besides "go from right here to one other place"

Funny, cause I made this comment back in November on this thread...

I profusely apologize that only stating it as a nuisance is not the call of arms you desire when you decided to revive a thread that died five months ago.

If I revived it, it wasn't dead. We still have a sub par navigation system.
If you're not interested in improving the navigation system, why not just unfollow the thread, instead of insisting that the use of your calendar is the answer.
I could use a paper map, but I bought a Tesla, and expect continual improvements as promised.

If I revived it, it wasn't dead. We still have a sub par navigation system.
If you're not interested in improving the navigation system, why not just unfollow the thread, instead of insisting that the use of your calendar is the answer.
I could use a paper map, but I bought a Tesla, and expect continual improvements as promised.

The fact you decided to use the word "revive" indicates it was dead. I had unfollowed the thread until you quoted my post.

Again, as I have stated, I am not "insisting" calendar is the answer although works well for me as my appointments are scheduled in advanced. I too want waypoints to be added to the system (although my assumption is that Tesla adding waypoints will still not solve your travelling salesman problem). Tesla (or at least, Elon) has stated waypoints are forthcoming - they are never great with deadlines but have found out that when they state some feature will arrive, eventually it does.

My point was having a static route sent to the car is not ideal as that route would be set at whatever time you sent it to the car and would not take into account any changes of traffic conditions - while it may be the optimal route when you originally sent it to the car, traffic for that route will likely be different by the time you travel it and could also be impacted by a "sigalert" (look it up).

• Disagree
The fact you decided to use the word "revive" indicates it was dead. I had unfollowed the thread until you quoted my post.

Again, as I have stated, I am not "insisting" calendar is the answer although works well for me as my appointments are scheduled in advanced. I too want waypoints to be added to the system (although my assumption is that Tesla adding waypoints will still not solve your travelling salesman problem). Tesla (or at least, Elon) has stated waypoints are forthcoming - they are never great with deadlines but have found out that when they state some feature will arrive, eventually it does.

My point was having a static route sent to the car is not ideal as that route would be set at whatever time you sent it to the car and would not take into account any changes of traffic conditions - while it may be the optimal route when you originally sent it to the car, traffic for that route will likely be different by the time you travel it and could also be impacted by a "sigalert" (look it up).

"Revive" was your word. I just used it because it was the word you used.

re·vive
/rəˈvīv/
verb

synonyms: resuscitate, bring round, bring to life, bring back, bring someone (back) to their senses, bring back to consciousness, bring back from the edge of death;
  • regain life, consciousness, or strength.
    "she was beginning to revive from her faint"
  • give new strength or energy to.

For someone who is not "insisting", you sure do persist in suggesting it. I just got my Model 3 and thought this was where I could discuss and find out more about it. Evidently I was wrong.

• Funny
Reactions: TT97