Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to address Service Bulletins?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 M3P I'm bringing in for some minor issues in 2 weeks and my Tesla service experience has been bad so far (long post for another time) - I don't want to deal with service ever again.

I want them to take care of all the dumb stuff that needs to be addressed this visit and hopefully not have to go back again for a long time.

There are about 20 service bulletins out for the 2018 M3. I can't figure out a way to eliminate these by my VIN. All of the VIN searches only search for official recalls (which there are none) which are different than service bulletins?

Is it ok, if I just throw this list at the service center and say "check for these" and hope they actually can and will check for them?

There have been 20 technical service bulletins issued for the 2018 Tesla Model 3.

1 2018 Tesla Model 3 seats TSB (Bulletin SB-19-20-003)
Bulletin Date: Dec. 30, 2019
Component: Seats.
Bulletin Summary: On some model 3 vehicles, the occupant classification system (OCS) signal might be affected by electrical interference in the seat harness, causing the airbag indicator to display on the touchscreen.
Vehicles covered in this TSB:
2017 Tesla Model 3, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2019 Tesla Model 3.
2 2018 Tesla Model 3 air bags TSB (Bulletin SB-19-20-003)
Component: Air bags.
Bulletin Summary: On some model 3 vehicles, the occupant classification system (OCS) signal might be affected by electrical interference in the seat harness, causing the airbag indicator to display on the touchscreen.
3 2018 Tesla Model 3 electrical system TSB (Bulletin SB-19-20-003)
Component: Electrical system.
4 2018 Tesla Model 3 equipment adaptive TSB (Bulletin SB-19-16-004 R1)
Bulletin Date: Dec. 12, 2019
Component: Equipment adaptive.
Bulletin Summary: The clamshell graft inside the hv battery was not fastened to tesla?s internal specifications. This condition might result in a reduction of vehicle driving range.
2018 Tesla Model 3.
5 2018 Tesla Model 3 battery TSB (Bulletin SB-19-16-004 R1)
Bulletin Date: Dec. 12, 2019
Component: Battery.
Bulletin Summary: The clamshell graft inside the hv battery was not fastened to tesla?s internal specifications. This condition might result in a reduction of vehicle driving range.
2018 Tesla Model 3.
6 2018 Tesla Model 3 equipment TSB (Bulletin SB-19-44-009 R1)
Bulletin Date: Nov. 25, 2019
Component: Equipment.
Bulletin Summary: Some model 3 vehicles were manufactured with charge port latch actuators that could allow ice to build up and prevent insertion or removal of the charge handle from the charge port.
7 2018 Tesla Model 3 brakes (pws) TSB (Bulletin SB-18-33-005 R1)
Bulletin Date: Nov. 25, 2019
Component: Brakes (pws).
Bulletin Summary: Some model 3 vehicles are equipped with rear brake dust shields that can trap road debris between the dust shield and brake rotor, causing loud grinding noises.
2017 Tesla Model 3, 2018 Tesla Model 3.
8 2018 Tesla Model 3 electrical equipment TSB (Bulletin SB-19-44-009)
Bulletin Date: Nov. 21, 2019
Component: Electrical equipment.
Bulletin Summary: Some model 3 vehicles were manufactured with charge port latch actuators that could allow ice to build up and prevent insertion or removal of the charge handle from the charge port.

9 2018 Tesla Model 3 high voltage battery TSB (Bulletin SB1816013R3)
Bulletin Date: Oct. 31, 2019
Component: High voltage battery.
Bulletin Summary: Certain model 3 vehicles might have too few hv battery positive contactor mounting nuts installed, which can allow movement that might affect the conductivity of the contactor terminals.
2018 Tesla Model 3.
10 2018 Tesla Model 3 electrical system TSB (Bulletin SB1816013R2)
Bulletin Date: Oct. 22, 2019
Bulletin Summary: Certain model 3 vehicles might have too few hv battery positive contactor mounting nuts installed, which can allow movement that might affect the conductivity of the contactor terminals.
2018 Tesla Model 3.
11 2018 Tesla Model 3 electrical system TSB (Bulletin SB-18-16-013 R1)
Bulletin Date: Sep. 25, 2019
2018 Tesla Model 3.
12 2018 Tesla Model 3 structure TSB (Bulletin SB-19-12-002)
Component: Structure.
Bulletin Summary: On some model 3 vehicles, the front and/or mid aero shield panels might be missing.
2018 Tesla Model 3, 2019 Tesla Model 3.
13 2018 Tesla Model 3 structure TSB (Bulletin SB-19-12-001 R1)
Component: Structure.
Bulletin Summary: On some model 3 vehicles, the front and/or mid aero shield panels might be susceptible to damage when driving through standing water. This can result in damaged or missing panels. Updated panels are available which have a more robust design
14 2018 Tesla Model 3 equipment TSB (Bulletin SB-18-14-001 R1)
Bulletin Date: Sep. 23, 2019
Bulletin Summary: On some model 3 vehicles, the top surface of the instrument panel (ip) carrier is prone to premature outlines or stains, such as an object left on the ip carrier in the sunlight. These outlines or stains can be temporarily removed, but can
15 2018 Tesla Model 3 electrical system TSB (Bulletin SB-18-14-001 R1)
Bulletin Date: Sep. 23, 2019
Bulletin Summary: On some model 3 vehicles, the top surface of the instrument panel (ip) carrier is prone to premature outlines or stains, such as an object left on the ip carrier in the sunlight. These outlines or stains can be temporarily removed, but can
16 2018 Tesla Model 3 battery TSB (Bulletin SB-19-16-009)
Bulletin Date: Feb. 13, 2019
Bulletin Summary: On some model 3 vehicles with the long range hv battery, a few cell interconnects within the hv battery are missing. This condition might result in a reduction of vehicle driving range.
2018 Tesla Model 3.
17 2018 Tesla Model 3 battery TSB (Bulletin SB-19-16-006)
Bulletin Date: Feb. 8, 2019
Bulletin Summary: Certain model 3 vehicles might have a displaced fastener within the penthouse cavity, which might prevent the vehicle from starting, or charging the hv battery or 12v battery.
2018 Tesla Model 3.
18 2018 Tesla Model 3 electrical system TSB (Bulletin SB-19-16-006)
Bulletin Date: Feb. 8, 2019
Bulletin Summary: Certain model 3 vehicles might have a displaced fastener within the penthouse cavity, which might prevent the vehicle from starting, or charging the hv battery or 12v battery.
2018 Tesla Model 3.
19 2018 Tesla Model 3 electrical equipment TSB (Bulletin SB-19-16-005)
Bulletin Date: Feb. 7, 2019
Component: Electrical equipment.
Bulletin Summary: On certain model 3 vehicles, a screw that secures the 12v dcdc positive terminal within the power conversion system (pcs) might have become loose. A loose terminal might present alerts on the touchscreen, or cause the pcs to shut down.
2018 Tesla Model 3.
20 2018 Tesla Model 3 equipment TSB (Bulletin SB-19-16-005)
Bulletin Date: Feb. 7, 2019
Bulletin Summary: On certain model 3 vehicles, a screw that secures the 12v dcdc positive terminal within the power conversion system (pcs) might have become loose. A loose terminal might present alerts on the touchscreen, or cause the pcs to shut down.
2018 Tesla Model 3.

BTW - if you go into service with a negative attitude expected everything to go wrong, you're not going to be happy no matter what happens.

Didn't really want to get into how I drove 70 miles to closest SC for an 8:30am apt only to find out I was "15th in line" for my car to be looked at and rep said "you have a ride right?" . No, I was showing up for battery breathers and a trunk lid that fills with water when driving in rain - why would I need a ride? Why would you schedule an 8:30am apt then have 15 cars ahead of me? Said would be at least 2 days to look at the car Thurs-Monday. No loner available, no way for me to pickup car on Monday anyway. Drove off.

I don't care if they needed the car for a week or had 100 cars in front of me, just give me some warning so I can plan. Basic customer service and/or decency. This is my 3rd attempt at getting these dumb issues addressed so yes, my attitude is negative- The Mid-Atlantic is massively under-served by Service Centers and it shows in every way. Seriously, if you can churn out 100's thousands of cars and build a factory in China in less than a year then you can buy a building, slap a sign on it and hire a few technicians to get it together.

Reactions: Tres_Azul
Didn't really want to get into how I drove 70 miles to closest SC for an 8:30am apt only to find out I was "15th in line" for my car to be looked at and rep said "you have a ride right?" . No, I was showing up for battery breathers and a trunk lid that fills with water when driving in rain - why would I need a ride? Why would you schedule an 8:30am apt then have 15 cars ahead of me? Said would be at least 2 days to look at the car Thurs-Monday. No loner available, no way for me to pickup car on Monday anyway. Drove off.

I don't care if they needed the car for a week or had 100 cars in front of me, just give me some warning so I can plan. Basic customer service and/or decency. This is my 3rd attempt at getting these dumb issues addressed so yes, my attitude is negative- The Mid-Atlantic is massively under-served by Service Centers and it shows in every way. Seriously, if you can churn out 100's thousands of cars and build a factory in China in less than a year then you can buy a building, slap a sign on it and hire a few technicians to get it together.
You are in Baltimore and drove 70 miles to a Service Center? Owings Mills is close to Baltimore and I've had great service there every time I've taken the car in. There is another one in Germantown, also less than 70 miles from Baltimore, but I don't have any experience there.

My experience with Service Bulletins has been great. Last month I stopped in to pick up air filters and he told me I had bulletin. Before I finished paying for the filters they had gone to the parking lot and corrected the issue. Total visit was 5 minutes. The other time I had a mobile guy out and he spent an extra couple minutes on a service bulletin. Both were preventative and were not causing issues over 30,000 miles.

I'm sure they offered you an uber credit. And you decided to say "F**** Y*** and drive away"
And if this was the third time you walked away.. no wonder the service center didn't bother. You've told them to f**** themselves twice already. After they scheduled you, and planned to work on your vehicle.

PS: The receptionists always give the "worst case" estimate. I've never had Tesla under-estimate the time to fix something.

They overbook because people don’t show up. Same reason doctors offices suck.

the people that miss/forget don’t give a hoot about anyone else.

regarding TSBs - their computer generates the lust automatically. Just ask them to double check. Some are symptom only.