Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to adjust trunk lid alignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gotta love people having to align their own body panels on a new luxury car purchase. More power to you though.

I had service realign my trunk. They flaked the paint off the nuts so I had them replace them with new unpainted nuts, because they wouldn't repaint them. Alignment is better but not best. Doesn't leak so oh well.

Reactions: ilikemypizza
Another one here with a misaligned trunk.

My left trunk strut actually rubbed the rubber seal around the bottom of the rear windscreen every time I opened and closed the trunk, causing it to squeak as it rubbed.

Took it into Tesla today and they undid the bolts on the bottom of the hinge where it meets the body and shifted the hinge across. The trunk now sits straighter on the car, but the strut still hits the rubber seal and where they moved the hinge you can see the unpainted body where the hinge used to be. I got them to fix it with a "smart repair" or "touch up paint" to you and I.

Like you say, not ideal on a brand new luxury car, though getting Tesla to admit that ain't going to happen.

None of the panel gaps around the light, bumper, other edges of the trunk are the same. How the likes of Kia and Hyundai etc can get this perfect, but not Tesla, I dunno. Seems like a basic assembly thing. Surely they could just put a notch or something on every part so that every car fits together exactly right every time?!

Or have a guy on the assembly line that lines everything up straight before it goes into paint. It really isn't difficult. I couldn't design any of the drivetrain or electronics on this thing, nor make the self driving system, but I sure as hell could bolt the trunk on straight! It's literally the easiest thing to get right and they cock it up!

Here is a pic of the hinge, if it helps:

s-l300.jpg

Here is a pic of the hinge, if it helps:

s-l300.jpg
Folks,

just want to add my name to the list of model 3P with this issue. Misalignment on the passenger rear window with rubbing on the drivers side trunk purchase.

Took it to the the SC yesterday (3 hour drive with 5 year old daughter in which we got Uber credits - difficult without car seat) and many hours later to be told they adjusted the latch adjustment and painted run area. However the trunk passenger side misalignment is within specs, so although they took it off and aligned the catch, they didn’t waste any time trying to make it look better even though we took a 6 hour drive and 7 hours service bouncing around an Uber without car seat all day all of our time.

anyway, thank you all for this post. I’ll be working on this DIY soon.

Attachments

• 77748D7B-0F42-4EA7-BFBF-134C953B778E.jpeg
    77748D7B-0F42-4EA7-BFBF-134C953B778E.jpeg
    406.6 KB · Views: 511
When Tesla did my paint correction (rather Accurate Auto Body) they addressed my 2.5mm misalignment on my trunk by literally pushing against it while it was wide open from the passenger side to the drivers side. I'd say probably 100lbs of force.

I cringed when I saw him do it, but this shop has a good reputation and it worked perfectly. No more misaligned trunk.
I do work with one of the major OEMs and they have a person at the factory whose only job is to align trunks and hoods using this exact method.

Old thread resurrection but I also have a huge gap on the drivers side. Can literally see the inside of the cavity and trunk while peeking in the hole. I only noticed it after installing a power trunk so I’m not sure if the gap was there before. Will try this fix.

Attachments

• E90C8AD2-9CAF-472C-AF22-6F0FDE4FD09D.jpeg
    E90C8AD2-9CAF-472C-AF22-6F0FDE4FD09D.jpeg
    399.8 KB · Views: 231
  • 6C45C97C-6A6F-4162-A660-F7FCA6B96490.jpeg
    6C45C97C-6A6F-4162-A660-F7FCA6B96490.jpeg
    487.1 KB · Views: 239
When Tesla did my paint correction (rather Accurate Auto Body) they addressed my 2.5mm misalignment on my trunk by literally pushing against it while it was wide open from the passenger side to the drivers side. I'd say probably 100lbs of force.

I cringed when I saw him do it, but this shop has a good reputation and it worked perfectly. No more misaligned trunk.
Just to let you know that I tried this (after seeing this 5 year old post) and it sorta worked. Thanks.