TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How to apply ceramic coating with partial PPF

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by BlueWRXPride, Aug 4, 2018.

1. BlueWRXPride

BlueWRXPride Member

I have PPF installed on my car, full front bumper, mirrors, and partial hood and fenders. I thought that it is beneficial to install the ceramic coating on the PPF too, but the Crystal serum light instructions say to avoid the PPF. So should I apply it to that or not? If yes, how do I deal with the edge of the PPF that goes across the hood and fender? Do I avoid applying it to the edges of the PPF?

2. Adam3

Adam3 Member

Everything I've read says it's safe to apply ceramic coating on top of PPF. Maybe see if others are applying that brand to PPF? If you want to avoid getting it on the PPF, use painters tape along the edges.

3. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

I have done this on 3 cars no issues ..u especially want ceramic on the edges as dirt accumulated over time that will seal it otherwise u will see a line

4. Red3

Red3 Member

Cquartz, Opticoat, Gyeon, and all the other ceramics that are mentioned frequently seem safe to apply on PPF. I don’t believe any of those explicitly state not to apply to PPF. Maybe this specific brand has something in it thats not safe for PPF?

5. BlueWRXPride

BlueWRXPride Member

I am going to be using gtechniq crystal serum light fyi.

6. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

You will be fine applying over the PPF :cool:...as mentioned previously u need to do the edges at minimum if u are still on fence on applying over all the film

7. dek526

dek526 Member

don’t companies have specific formulas for ppf? forgot where i saw that but def do apply a coat

8. BlueWRXPride

BlueWRXPride Member

Well I went ahead with it yesterday, no issues so far, car looks awesome![​IMG]

• Like x 1