Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to Apply Referral Code after order placed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Newbie here. Does anyone know how I can apply a referral code once the order has been placed? I placed my order original order on 08/01 but decided to upgrade to 20" so the order date was reset to 08/08.
Note: I didn't know about the referral system until after placing the initial order.

I'd like to add a referral code but don't see anywhere on my account which will allow me to do so.

I also spoke with someone at the Tesla store and they mentioned it could be added to all models except the Y post order but she wasn't 100% sure.

Anyone run into this issue before?

if I had a dollar for every similar new post on the subject...the way most folks understand coupons it's code you apply at checkout. Tesla does not warn you about this at the final order page and then it's mostly too late. You may be able to get someone at Tesla to be kind. good luck!

Last edited:
if I had a dollar for every similar new post on the subject...the way most folks understand coupons it's code you apply at checkout. Tesla does not warn you about this at the final order page and then it's mostly too late. You may be able to get someone at Tesla to be kind. good luck!

EXACTLY!! Like who would think to apply a referral code prior to placing your order. They should def change this.

Oh my, this is unfortunate :( How much does 1000 supercharger miles work out to anyway (monetarily)?

About $50.

EXACTLY!! Like who would think to apply a referral code prior to placing your order. They should def change this.

Well, that *is* how referrals work. A bonus for somebody who helped make the sale. Otherwise it would just be everybody gets 1000mi free.

About $50.

Well, that *is* how referrals work. A bonus for somebody who helped make the sale. Otherwise it would just be everybody gets 1000mi free.

Well a friend of mine who bought a model 3 last year is the one who pretty much convinced me to purchase a Tesla. I didn't know about the referral code (so didn't ask my friend) until after placing my order. It would've been nice to be prompted for that info upfront.

So in this case, my friend should receive the bonus for helping to make the sale b/c without him sharing his experiences, allowing me to drive his car, answering multiple ques...I probably wouldn't have been so inclined to get the vehicle.

Hi All,

Newbie here. Does anyone know how I can apply a referral code once the order has been placed? I placed my order original order on 08/01 but decided to upgrade to 20" so the order date was reset to 08/08.
Note: I didn't know about the referral system until after placing the initial order.

I'd like to add a referral code but don't see anywhere on my account which will allow me to do so.

I also spoke with someone at the Tesla store and they mentioned it could be added to all models except the Y post order but she wasn't 100% sure.

Anyone run into this issue before?

I was in same boat as you. My issue was that I had my own referral code ready but placed the order through a different window (same computer but different browser which I didn't open through referral link as I was playing with different configurations). I reached out to the Tesla rep who was assigned to me out of Las Vegas, but no luck.

When I got my VIN, I reached out to my local delivery guy, and explained him the whole situation. He as able to add the referral code prior to me taking the delivery.

Long story short, be persistent till the end, and MAYBE you will get lucky....

Reactions: Teflan
I was in same boat as you. My issue was that I had my own referral code ready but placed the order through a different window (same computer but different browser which I didn't open through referral link as I was playing with different configurations). I reached out to the Tesla rep who was assigned to me out of Las Vegas, but no luck.

When I got my VIN, I reached out to my local delivery guy, and explained him the whole situation. He as able to add the referral code prior to me taking the delivery.

Long story short, be persistent till the end, and MAYBE you will get lucky....

Ouch, that must've sucked but glad it worked out. So there's hope. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Well a friend of mine who bought a model 3 last year is the one who pretty much convinced me to purchase a Tesla. I didn't know about the referral code (so didn't ask my friend) until after placing my order. It would've been nice to be prompted for that info upfront.

So in this case, my friend should receive the bonus for helping to make the sale b/c without him sharing his experiences, allowing me to drive his car, answering multiple ques...I probably wouldn't have been so inclined to get the vehicle.

I did the same thing. Well I was sure I used the referral link, but it didn't show up after.

So I just cancelled my order and made a new one. It was the same day, so didn't matter much to me. But now I got the referral!

Another option is to cancel your order and than place a new one using the referral link. The only downside is that it takes a week or so for Tesla to refund your down payment so you are doubled up for a while but if you can float it, it is a good option.

Good luck ... you may have a chance talking to the local sales center..

My buddy was to use mine and somehow I got shafted. He called the rep and the rep said tough luck.

Emailed Tesla and they politely said too bad.
You know what could happened? Sale rep cancelled your buddy order and used other referral code to rebook it.
It happened to me. because my buddy got the mile and I didn't.

Reactions: steve841
Another option is to cancel your order and than place a new one using the referral link. The only downside is that it takes a week or so for Tesla to refund your down payment so you are doubled up for a while but if you can float it, it is a good option.
I'm currently waiting for a refund now... Was told it could be 1-2 weeks over the phone, and then told it could be 2-4 in person. Online account says total refund: $0 so that is very disconcerting. Fingers crossed!