Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to approach a business about destination charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Racerx22b

@unplggdd on Instagram
Nov 17, 2014
West Palm Beach, FL
This will probably be moved to another sub forum but I'm hoping more eyes will see it here and offer suggestions.

I have contacted 2 hotels to inform them of the destination charging offer from Tesla and so far have 1 hotel signing up and I am awaiting word from another one. However, I want to ensure I am providing them with most accurate information in the most professional manner. I am sure there are people on this forum who have also done this or are a much better wordsmith than I am. If so, please share your methods of selling destination charging (especially for hotels). If you have a form email that you send as a follow up and would like to share it that would be great.

I want to word the email in a manner that is both informative and a sales pitch at the same time without it being something that just gets deleted and forgotten about. I don't want to come off as I am selling them something.

I know you mean well, but putting stuff in the wrong sub forum deliberately just causes work for the moderators.

I understand and not trying to create work for anyone. Just wasn't sure what sub forum to put it in... Battery/Charging, Regional, Tesla Motors, Charging Standards and Infrastructure.... So many sub forums sometimes it's hard to pick the best one. I'd rather leave it to the "forum experts" to decide. Seems better than starting a thread asking where to put a thread... :confused:

I want one of my preferred destinations to offer a charger because with out, we've stopped going there due to range limit.

I was just going to phone them up and ask to speak to the general manager and tell them we'd resume visiting if they put in a free destination charger from Tesla. And give them the name of nearest Tesla store owner. In fact, he made me aware of this program, and encouraged me to do this with the hotel.

I don't think you'd actually have to do much personally, other than help make the connection between hotel and Tesla happen.

I want to word the email in a manner that is both informative and a sales pitch at the same time without it being something that just gets deleted and forgotten about. I don't want to come off as I am selling them something.

So you don't sound like a salesman or look like a company trying to get their money, I find it better to wait until I am going on a trip, and then I call around for motel reservations, with one of the key parameters being whether or not they can accommodate my car. IF they are pro EV, then we talk about options.

But, truly, for charging overnight, all you need is a 50 amp outlet. The last motel that put one in for me spent less than $50 and the owner wired it himself. I can't see that happening with a 100 amp charger.

If all you are after is a quick top up, then you aren't using it as a destination, and if that happens a lot, the motels will start to figure out that it's not worth their dollar.

As another issue, Tesla chargers only charge Teslas. Some people think this is selfish, so I try to get a J1772 connecting charger so "anyone" can use it. Who knows? Maybe Leaf will come out with a > 200 mile range model.

I have talked to several large hotels in areas where I frequent and some where interest in installing a Nema 14-50 outlet and some where not. My pitch to them was about the future and hybrids and EV's becoming more main stream, and that they could use the fact that they have EV charging as a marketing tool to promote there hotel. It is difficult to approach the larger hotels and find the correct person to discuss this with, usually it is the head of operations that can help make the decision. Getting through to these people is a challenge and then even if they agree it is worth doing they have to get approval from higher up and that is another road block to overcome. Once BEV's become more mainstream it will be easier to convince them on the business aspect that it is a benefit.

So my general approach:

1. Talk directly to the property general manager or head of marketing (only for large properties). You need the person responsible for keeping the hotel booked.
  2. Make clear you're an owner / not a sales person - and since you visit the hotel frequently (or the area), you'd like to make it possible to charge your car there.
  3. Conveniently, Tesla currently has a program where they can supply the equipment (but don't make promises on this, only can say what has been happening)
  4. You can show them other hotels on maps used by electric car drivers, and that those hotels are selected precisely because they offer charging
  5. You'd REALLY like to stay at their property the next time you're in the area, would they be interested? (Personally, I said 'I'm contacting different hotels in the area to see who...')
  6. Ask for email so that you can send them links to all the info, maybe even a link to a thread where a hotel put in the charging and now other Tesla owners are stopping there to spend the night. (Like this one)
  7. Then follow up.

Once you have a hotel interested, connect them with the Destination Charging Team (and happy to help with that).

Is this the official link to the program? Destination Charging

I was going to reach out to a place in VA, but the wufoo link seemed a bit suspect

That is the correct link: Tesla Destination Charging Application

If I am wrong, I am sure that Bonnie will correct me.

Also, here are some nice words that Tesla crafted. You may want to use them in your correspondence with hotels and others as reasons for them to join the Tesla Destination Charging Program.

With a range of 285 miles and access to a free Supercharger network stretchingacross North America, Tesla owners are bringing back the road trip. Every day, they patronize hundreds of Destination Charging Partners around North America - full-service hotels, resorts, clubs, shopping and recreational facilities.

Tesla owners craft their vacations and business trips around charging availability. By hosting Tesla Connectors, you place yourself prominently in our owners view:

Hope you could hear my laughter when I posted that. :)

I was hoping that was the case. :biggrin:

Back to the topic at hand, FlasherZ wrote a very nice letter that he offers as an example of advocating for Destination Charging, and welcomes others to use or paraphrase any of it that you thing reasonable.

FlasherZ's example is at Tesla Supercharger network - Page 609

This will probably be moved to another sub forum but I'm hoping more eyes will see it here and offer suggestions.

I have contacted 2 hotels to inform them of the destination charging offer from Tesla and so far have 1 hotel signing up and I am awaiting word from another one. However, I want to ensure I am providing them with most accurate information in the most professional manner. I am sure there are people on this forum who have also done this or are a much better wordsmith than I am. If so, please share your methods of selling destination charging (especially for hotels). If you have a form email that you send as a follow up and would like to share it that would be great.

Hi,

I applaud you for your destination charging activism.

Destination charging initiatives are an important activity for our club and we try to support local proprietors that have taken steps to install charging equipment.

Florida is unique in that we have a local Tesla representative that handles the Tesla Destination Charging Program. If you obtain the contact information and title of a decision maker at a prospective destination charging location that is serious about installing and maintaining donated Tesla High Power Wall Connectors, and pass that information on to me at [email protected], I will make the necessary introductions to the local Tesla representative.

Our club also reaches out to prospective locations. Here's an excerpt of a message I sent just this week.

Dear Fabrizio,

It's been a long time since I spoke to you about Tesla's Destination Charging Program and I wanted to check in with you to let you know that Tesla is still interested in donating charging equipment to the Ritz Carlton Sarasota and hopefully you will resume your interest in this important program.

I also wanted to let you know about a recent update to the navigation systems on every Tesla Model S on the road. For those destinations that accept and install Tesla charging equipment, now those locations have been programmed into the navigation systems of every Tesla. In other words, even if the driver is unaware that the Ritz Carlton has installed charging equipment, the car knows and it will take the owner to the location with the touch of a button. Here is an actual photo of my navigation system that I took today showing Florida destinations with Tesla charging equipment. Please note the other Ritz Carlton resorts that are participating members.

Destination Charging on version 6.2 s.jpg

Tesla now has a local Florida representative who is responsible for their Destination Charging Program. Below is his contact information.

(Redacted)

I sincerely hope that you will resume your interest in installing electric charging equipment at the Ritz Carlton Sarasota. If you have any questions or concerns I hope that you will reach out to him. He will be happy to arrange a meeting at your convenience. If there is anything that our club can do, please don't hesitate to contact me as well.

Sincerely,

Larry Chanin
President, Florida Tesla Enthusiasts

FTE Logo landscape 40.png

In our other contacts with prospective locations, frequently they are luxury resorts and hotels, I point out that we have hundreds of families in the club across the state that are capable of reaching their location. If the location installs charging equipment I will make a point to notify our entire membership and the EV community in general. I explain that our membership represents a demographic that routinely stays at resorts and luxury hotels. However, we find that so far only a few hotel proprietors in Florida have had the foresight to recognize this trend to luxury electric vehicles. As a result only a few have installed electric charging facilities at their properties. This has caused our membership to start to shift patronage to luxury hotels and resorts that do offer overnight electric charging.

By the way, if you are interested in joining our Florida Tesla club, please click on the link to Florida Tesla Enthusiasts in my signature.

Larry

Some great info here. Thanks! Keep it coming.

With regard to prospective Florida locations, when specifically discussing the desirability of installing free Tesla HPWCs it is interesting to note, contrary to national statistics, that there are significantly more Model Ss registered in the state of Florida (2524) than LEAFs (1460). In addition, as we know the Model S is a long range EV. Therefore, for the most part it will be Model Ss that have the means of taking road trips, both across the state and even from other states, to reach an attractive location with the important amenity of available charging.

(The numbers quoted above are the Florida DMV registrations as of year-end 2014.)

Larry