Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to approach landlord about charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd just put in the 14-50 without asking and do it to code, and professionally. It's not actually very hard to do it right, but if you are worried have a contractor do it. DIY costs under $100 in most cases.

It is common for tenants to do improvements to house and buildings, sometimes they are very extensive.

Be aware, that upon termination of the lease, improvements can be considered damage so you might have a pay a couple hundred if you leave witness marks or do not remove the outlet.

• Disagree
Reactions: Parzival and Runt8
No, don't do it without asking permission. It's just wrong and disrespectful since you don't own the house. Asking him to pay the full cost is also wrong since it reeks of entitlement. Now that I am in parent mode telling you what to do:

-ask landlord for his/her thoughts on installing NEMA 14-50 outlet
-offer, but do not expect, for him to split the costs with you
-if he declines, understand that and offer to pay for all of it yourself
-follow up by asking if he would like you to remove the outlet at the end of your lease (but obviously he won't want that)
-ask again if he can contribute some to the costs since he (or future tenant) might get some benefit out of it

Reactions: David99
No, don't do it without asking permission. It's just wrong and disrespectful since you don't own the house. Asking him to pay the full cost is also wrong since it reeks of entitlement. Now that I am in parent mode telling you what to do:

-ask landlord for his/her thoughts on installing NEMA 14-50 outlet
-offer, but do not expect, for him to split the costs with you
-if he declines, understand that and offer to pay for all of it yourself
-follow up by asking if he would like you to remove the outlet at the end of your lease (but obviously he won't want that)
-ask again if he can contribute some to the costs since he (or future tenant) might get some benefit out of it

Nice in theory, but if it's a property management company or a very busy landlord, it is far cheaper, quicker, and simpler to just say no to any requests for modifications. They are not obligated whatsoever to be reasonable. In fact, if you read EV boards, this is very, very common problem for tenants with EVs.

Many PMCs or busy landlords will request you return the building in the exact same condition (reasonable wear can be argued in Small Claims) as when you first signed. They make more money by using their crew to refurb and billing you for it than the value of improvements/changes.

The only time you have a bargaining chip in the game is if the landlord/PMC is a sweetheart, or you requested improvements prior to signing to renewing a lease. Being a sweetheart is not a profitable way of doing business if you have a standing contract in place.

It's why I now own my own building.

If you return the building the way you received it, the landlord will sometimes STILL claim damages to keep the deposit. This is when you visit small claims, AFTER first negotiating in writing (the judge will want to see proof you tried to keep the courts out of it).

If you have been a good tenant but you experience resistance from the landlord even when offering to pay for it and have it done by a professional, politely make it clear that you *need* this and may have to move if you can't have it installed. I know if I was a landlord and had a good tenant, I would view having to find a new tenant as a chore I'd rather not undertake. Might work as an additional point of leverage. I suppose that could backfire if they already had someone lined up who they wanted to have move in, but I would think chances of that are slim.

EDIT: This might not work if your landlord is more of a large-scale slum lord who really doesn't give a rats about anyone.

Reactions: gavine
Removal of the outlet, being that it's so close to the panel should be very simple. You can patch the drywall or maybe even just put a blanking plate over the receptacle box. It's in the garage so I don't think a blanking plate is a problem. However, I don't see why the landlord would want you to remove it since it's an amenity with ever-growing desirability. I now have three NEMA 14-50s in my 2-car garage. I'm sure an EV owner would choose my house over a comparable competing home and possibly even pay more for it. I know I would.

I would say that you are probably SOL.
  • Charging a Tesla would probably at least double the apartment's electricity cost with no benefit to the landlord.
  • In an old building, the addition of a large new load would be a possible risk to old wiring, again with no benefit to the landlord.
  • PG&E used to offer special EV charging rates on a separate meter. If you offered to pay for installation of the extra meter and the charging outlet, then the objections above would be removed. PG&E should be able to tell you about it and also determine if the incoming power lines to the building can support the added load.
To get permission, you would have to at least eliminate the landlord's downside risk and at best provide him a benefit.
no surprise there :p

i do have plenty of outlets in my garage (where i plan to store my beauty) that i can just plug the car into overnight so that it is still charging at least a bit. i hear that its good to do that even if youre not getting much range on the car, the battery is being charged in a way where it promotes its health.

thanks again!

I think it's totally reasonable to ask the landlord. Some landlords like to keep their house up to date or add improvements. It's something that adds value to the home or at least makes it more desirable for a future renter. I have seen it specifically mentioned in houses for rent descriptions. It is an expense that the tenant pays but stays with the home, so it becomes a free gift to the landlord. So I think it's perfectly reasonable to at least ask to split the cost.
not to mention, if you dont bring up the subject, a landlord may never realize it is a possible improvement to the property that they may not have thought about before. but thats a slight benefit to getting them to do it. i think the fair thing to do is to at least offer to split the cost.

We are currently renting a single-family home in the Dallas/Ft-Worth area. I have a reservation for a model 3 and no plans to move before I take delivery. I am looking for tips on the best way to approach the landlord with the request to wire the garage for charging. It would be ideal if I could convince him to pay for the install (selling point for future tenants etc.), however I am willing to pay for the work if needed. Does anyone know of any incentives that might make convincing him easier? Unless there are unforeseen problems (needing to upgrade the box), it should be a fairly simple/cheap install. The box is in the garage almost exactly where the outlet would need to be located.
Can you tell us a little more about what the existing layout of the house is? Does it have electric or gas appliances? Is there a laundry room relatively close to where you park? If so, you could plug in something like a Dryer Buddy to split the existing dryer plug (10-30 or 14-30) so that it could be used by both the dryer or the car (one at a time). It wouldn't require any installation and you could take it with you when you move.

Reactions: jdowell362
I think it's totally reasonable to ask the landlord. Some landlords like to keep their house up to date or add improvements. It's something that adds value to the home or at least makes it more desirable for a future renter. I have seen it specifically mentioned in houses for rent descriptions. It is an expense that the tenant pays but stays with the home, so it becomes a free gift to the landlord. So I think it's perfectly reasonable to at least ask to split the cost.
Total EV sales are under 1%, making the "added value" minuscule at best. As a landlord, I would have allowed, but not paid for, such an installation.

If you have been a good tenant but you experience resistance from the landlord even when offering to pay for it and have it done by a professional, politely make it clear that you *need* this and may have to move if you can't have it installed. I know if I was a landlord and had a good tenant, I would view having to find a new tenant as a chore I'd rather not undertake. Might work as an additional point of leverage. I suppose that could backfire if they already had someone lined up who they wanted to have move in, but I would think chances of that are slim.

EDIT: This might not work if your landlord is more of a large-scale slum lord who really doesn't give a rats about anyone.
OP has made it clear that there is a property management company, therefor no incentive exists to keep a tenant. Management companies charge owners a percent of rents and a fee (as much as a month's rent) for securing a new tenant, plus markup on cleaning and renovation services to make ready to rent.

Can you tell us a little more about what the existing layout of the house is? Does it have electric or gas appliances? Is there a laundry room relatively close to where you park? If so, you could plug in something like a Dryer Buddy to split the existing dryer plug (10-30 or 14-30) so that it could be used by both the dryer or the car (one at a time). It wouldn't require any installation and you could take it with you when you move.
wow thats awesome! i have a 10-30 and this would be great! not sure if i could get a cord thats long enough to get to my car actually but its still pretty cool!

wow thats awesome! i have a 10-30 and this would be great! not sure if i could get a cord thats long enough to get to my car actually but its still pretty cool!
I haven't needed to use this one yet but I have it just in case: Heavy-duty NEMA 14-50R extension cord for Tesla, 20 ft. . It will work with 14-60, 14-50 and 14-30 outlets. You could get a Dryer Buddy with a 10-30 outlet for the dryer and a 14-50 outlet for the Tesla.

I agree with Lysol. I'm a landlord too and if my tenant approaches me, I would split 50/50 with them provided the lease is good for another 12 months. If you are planning to live here for longer then maybe you can convince them to pay for more or all. A quote from a Tesla certified electrical maybe a good starting point to convince them that it would be quality work.

As a landlord, it's a bit of a dicey proposition as the value is only going to be present for a tiny subset of potential renters. That being said, the way you lose money is vacancy, so your best bet is to offer to extend your lease as part of any deal.

Reactions: Raincloud
Inform your landlord that electric is the way all cars are headed and demand that they get with it and install the charger asap. An electric car charger would only add value to the rental unit/property, which means that the costs should be 100% on the landlord. A tenant can't take the charger or any part of it with them when they eventually leave - rather it will remain with the property to be used by the next and/or other tenants.

As a landlord, I'd be inclined to pay for the outlet with a renter who has been with me for a few years. I would know them (and their reliability) better and would have some cash stored up from rent to make the financial impact minimal. If they were asking when they first moved in, the potential ROI isn't there.

Reactions: Raincloud