Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to avoid a runaway condition

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My sons has a Tesla S and I ask him if something happened that the car took a mind of its own went to accelerating and wouldn't stop, how do you shut it off to avoid a collision? He wasn't sure. We worked together and found one thing he could do is put it in neutral. There is no way to our knowledge to shut it off while driving. If there is other alternatives please reply. Every owner should be prepared for an emergency such as this. Randy

Also this is in the manual. If you have not read the manual yet sounds like it is time.
I was looking for more friendly replies and I didn't see your suggestion, did I miss it? Some conditions wouldn't need the emergency brake applied which could cause a wreck. Looking to help other owners be more aware of what to do in an emergency situation. Do you think everyone that has bought a Tesla has read the manual especially emergency information and tested them? His delivery was horrible at best because the deliveries on that day had overwhelmed Tesla. Left on his own to learn and it has a lot to learn. I read the owners manual and couldn't find it. What it did said wont work when driving.

Previous Toyota owner.

Hey I resemble that remark! ;)

OK, I'll bite (even though I bet I'll regret it). I sense something odd around the hypothetical situation "that the car took a mind of its own".

OP doesn't need to shut off the car in this scenario, he needs to slow / stop it. On every car I've ever driven (including Teslas), you start by depressing the brake pedal (which, weirdly, nobody has yet mentioned in this thread). That disengages TACC/AP (if they were active to begin with) and slows the car, eventually to a stop. Make sure that it's the brake pedal being pushed, not the accelerator. If for some reason that isn't doing what you need then try the neutral/park settings on the "gear shift lever".

Bruce.

Hey I resemble that remark! ;)

OK, I'll bite (even though I bet I'll regret it). I sense something odd around the hypothetical situation "that the car took a mind of its own".

OP doesn't need to shut off the car in this scenario, he needs to slow / stop it. On every car I've ever driven (including Teslas), you start by depressing the brake pedal (which, weirdly, nobody has yet mentioned in this thread). That disengages TACC/AP (if they were active to begin with) and slows the car, eventually to a stop. Make sure that it's the brake pedal being pushed, not the accelerator. If for some reason that isn't doing what you need then try the neutral/park settings on the "gear shift lever".

Bruce.
I would hope everyone would try the brakes first but what if it didn't stop accelerating. The brakes would be short lived. Just looking to help everyone know what to do in that case. I mentioned neutral and that appears to be the best answer so far.

My sons has a Tesla S and I ask him if something happened that the car took a mind of its own went to accelerating and wouldn't stop, how do you shut it off to avoid a collision? He wasn't sure.
Some conditions wouldn't need the emergency brake applied which could cause a wreck.
The specific condition you posted about when starting this thread would be solved by the solution described in the owners manual and posted by other: hold the Park button down. That will apply the parking brake and slow the car. You can still steer (with one hand) while the parking brake is applied if you need to avoid an obstacle while braking.

It's in the manual. With a car like a Tesla, which in some ways works very differently from other cars, a thorough reading of the owners manual is essential.

By the way, I am not aware of any proven case of a Tesla accelerating on its own. There have been claims of such a scenario occurring, but no proof. In every claimed case that I know of, when Tesla examined the vehicle logs they stated that the driver was pressing on the accelerator. The car was not accelerating "on its own".

The specific condition you posted about when starting this thread would be solved by the solution described in the owners manual and posted by other: hold the Park button down. That will apply the parking brake and slow the car. You can still steer (with one hand) while the parking brake is applied if you need to avoid an obstacle while braking.

It's in the manual. With a car like a Tesla, which in some ways works very differently from other cars, a thorough reading of the owners manual is essential.

By the way, I am not aware of any proven case of a Tesla accelerating on its own. There have been claims of such a scenario occurring, but no proof. In every claimed case that I know of, when Tesla examined the vehicle logs they stated that the driver was pressing on the accelerator. The car was not accelerating "on its own".
What if it was hacked? By the way just

Very odd post... father wanting to find information for son about how to avoid unintended acceleration even though unintended acceleration in a Model S is not an issue and never has been. Father also reads manual to help son find information... then comes to Tesla forums to seek additional assistance... then wonders about hacking, which is also not an issue and never has been.

My BS meter is going off, there is more to this thread than meets the eye. Suggest not feeding the troll.

When I had a 2013 Tesla loaner a couple months ago I thought I was hitting both pedals with my size 12.5s -- thereby causing the dreaded and documented Butt Puckering Tesla Stops Phenomena. But now I realize that I probably experienced the even more dreaded but previously undocumented Runaway Condition Tesla Phenomena. I'll bet this issue has been discussed on Seeking Alpha, but just my luck that I'm not a subscriber.

Computers all have some sort of cooling system. I work in a industry that the cooling systems fail. If not caught in time, meltdown. I wasn't interested in how the emergency could happen just how to be prepared if it did.
Carry a bag of ice cubes in your frunk. The front compartment of the frunk is specially designed to accommodate 2-3 bags of ice cubes in order to address any thermal runaway condition. There is a thermal sink underneath the frunk leading to all major systems so heat is pulled away from critical systems and into the ice bags in the frunk. The only down side to this feature is that you have to keep your frunk open for a couple of days to let it dry out.

You can read about it on page 205 of the owner's manual.