TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

How to avoid a runaway condition

Discussion in 'Model S' started by davidslagle, May 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. davidslagle

davidslagle Member

My sons has a Tesla S and I ask him if something happened that the car took a mind of its own went to accelerating and wouldn't stop, how do you shut it off to avoid a collision? He wasn't sure. We worked together and found one thing he could do is put it in neutral. There is no way to our knowledge to shut it off while driving. If there is other alternatives please reply. Every owner should be prepared for an emergency such as this. Randy

• Disagree x 10
  2. deonb

deonb Supporting Member

Press and hold the Park button on the "gear" stalk. It will take the car out of drive and also apply the emergency break.

• Like x 4
  3. DarkMatter

DarkMatter Member

Also this is in the manual. If you have not read the manual yet sounds like it is time.

• Like x 1
  4. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

LOL... Really??? Very odd first post...

Jeff

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  5. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Previous Toyota owner.

• Funny x 26
  6. davidslagle

davidslagle Member

I was looking for more friendly replies and I didn't see your suggestion, did I miss it? Some conditions wouldn't need the emergency brake applied which could cause a wreck. Looking to help other owners be more aware of what to do in an emergency situation. Do you think everyone that has bought a Tesla has read the manual especially emergency information and tested them? His delivery was horrible at best because the deliveries on that day had overwhelmed Tesla. Left on his own to learn and it has a lot to learn. I read the owners manual and couldn't find it. What it did said wont work when driving.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  7. bmah

bmah New Moderator, Model S / Model X Forums

Hey I resemble that remark! ;)

OK, I'll bite (even though I bet I'll regret it). I sense something odd around the hypothetical situation "that the car took a mind of its own".

OP doesn't need to shut off the car in this scenario, he needs to slow / stop it. On every car I've ever driven (including Teslas), you start by depressing the brake pedal (which, weirdly, nobody has yet mentioned in this thread). That disengages TACC/AP (if they were active to begin with) and slows the car, eventually to a stop. Make sure that it's the brake pedal being pushed, not the accelerator. If for some reason that isn't doing what you need then try the neutral/park settings on the "gear shift lever".

Bruce.

• Like x 15
    • Helpful x 2
  8. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

In all seriousness, Tesla has programmed the break to override all other inputs so if you press on the break it will stop the car regardless of a stuck accelerator or any other software glitch...

Jeff

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  9. davidslagle

davidslagle Member

I would hope everyone would try the brakes first but what if it didn't stop accelerating. The brakes would be short lived. Just looking to help everyone know what to do in that case. I mentioned neutral and that appears to be the best answer so far.

• Disagree x 8
    • Funny x 1
  10. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

The specific condition you posted about when starting this thread would be solved by the solution described in the owners manual and posted by other: hold the Park button down. That will apply the parking brake and slow the car. You can still steer (with one hand) while the parking brake is applied if you need to avoid an obstacle while braking.

It's in the manual. With a car like a Tesla, which in some ways works very differently from other cars, a thorough reading of the owners manual is essential.

By the way, I am not aware of any proven case of a Tesla accelerating on its own. There have been claims of such a scenario occurring, but no proof. In every claimed case that I know of, when Tesla examined the vehicle logs they stated that the driver was pressing on the accelerator. The car was not accelerating "on its own".

• Like x 5
    • Helpful x 1
  11. davidslagle

davidslagle Member

What if it was hacked? By the way just

• Disagree x 5
  12. davidslagle

davidslagle Member

How about computer meltdown, I talking emergency. 100MPH and it goes in to neutral and slams on the brakes, what a ride that would be. Computer meltdown means all bets are off.

• Disagree x 8
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  13. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

What if it was hacked? Do you mean like the Jeep that was? That Jeep was owned by the hackers. Best suggestion is to not give your credentials away.
    This article should help address your worries: Why Car Hacking Is Nearly Impossible

• Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  14. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

Very odd post... father wanting to find information for son about how to avoid unintended acceleration even though unintended acceleration in a Model S is not an issue and never has been. Father also reads manual to help son find information... then comes to Tesla forums to seek additional assistance... then wonders about hacking, which is also not an issue and never has been.

My BS meter is going off, there is more to this thread than meets the eye. Suggest not feeding the troll.

• Like x 10
    • Helpful x 2
  15. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Okay, I see now you're not serious. Sorry I took the time to respond.

• Like x 9
    • Informative x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  16. davidslagle

davidslagle Member

LOL your funny

• Disagree x 10
    • Funny x 1
  17. davidslagle

davidslagle Member

Computers all have some sort of cooling system. I work in a industry that the cooling systems fail. If not caught in time, meltdown. I wasn't interested in how the emergency could happen just how to be prepared if it did.

• Disagree x 4
  18. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Hit the brakes and hold down the Park button.

• Helpful x 2
    • Like x 1
  19. azred

azred Member

When I had a 2013 Tesla loaner a couple months ago I thought I was hitting both pedals with my size 12.5s -- thereby causing the dreaded and documented Butt Puckering Tesla Stops Phenomena. But now I realize that I probably experienced the even more dreaded but previously undocumented Runaway Condition Tesla Phenomena. I'll bet this issue has been discussed on Seeking Alpha, but just my luck that I'm not a subscriber.

• Funny x 7
  20. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Well-Known Member

Carry a bag of ice cubes in your frunk. The front compartment of the frunk is specially designed to accommodate 2-3 bags of ice cubes in order to address any thermal runaway condition. There is a thermal sink underneath the frunk leading to all major systems so heat is pulled away from critical systems and into the ice bags in the frunk. The only down side to this feature is that you have to keep your frunk open for a couple of days to let it dry out.

You can read about it on page 205 of the owner's manual.

• Funny x 7
    • Informative x 1