TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How to avoid being forced to have a front license plate?

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by UnknownSoldier, Aug 21, 2018.

1. UnknownSoldier

UnknownSoldier Unknown Member

I see many S which have gotten away with not having the front plate here in WA. However when I got my S the people at Seattle SC insisted on mounting the front plate. For the 3 I have coming, how do I convince them to leave my front bumper alone?

2. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

tell them you don't want it installed... it works in CA

3. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

Front plates are required in WA.

You could try registering the car in a different state.

4. Kuhz

Kuhz Member

I’m guessing you mean the plate holder since you get the actual license plates later in the mail. If it’s anything like an S, just remove it when you get home. In WA all S models are delivered with the plate holder (the car is actually crash tested with it on). Not sure if it’s the same for Model 3.

5. N8DGR8

N8DGR8 Member

I have seen several around Seattle without the front plate. You could always tell them you are going to install a removable aftermarket mount too.

6. MichaelS

MichaelS Supporting Member

I used a couple of J bolts to to temporarily mount the plate after I got a ticket from a CHP cop who had a hard-on for Teslas. Got the ticket signed off and immediatly removed the plate

7. morrisdl

morrisdl Member

8. Araman0

Araman0 Member

I met a guy once who actually printed his license plate on some kind of vinyl and mounted it flush with his Model X front bumper. He even had some trick for giving it a reflective characteristic at night.

Looks like this thread might have the same idea >> Vinyl license plate sticker

As for myself, I have lived in Washington for 4 years and Wisconsin for many years before that. Both states require front plates, but I've never had one and have never been stopped.

• Helpful x 1
  9. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

I don't think you get pulled over for it, but you will get tickets if you are parked on the street in Seattle.

10. Araman0

Araman0 Member

My 2012 S actually lives on a busy street here in Seattle proper, as I dont have a garage big enough for it. I've owned it for half a year now with no problems; keeping my fingers crossed it stays that way.

11. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

I have a 2015 Model S, and I've never had the front plates on.

Back then the license plates were shipped to me so it's not like the SC had a chance to put it on.

So I'm a bit confused about how the SC had the opportunity to do so unless things are done differently now.

I'm undecided on whether I'll put them on the Model 3. The S was too beautiful, and before the facelift the license plate looked funny. The Model 3 on the other hand isn't as pretty (subjective of course) so it's not completely ruining it with a plate.

The Model 3 is more of my "everything sucks, and I don't care anymore" vehicle so I'll probably uglify it with the silly pointless plate.

Now days everything is under construction, and ash is falling down so I'm pulling the french move with the white flag.

• Love x 1
  12. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

I ran for 2 years without a front plate but after increasing attention and warnings from LEOs stuck it on with 3M red emblem tape. I had a thread on it somewhere in the Model S forum.

13. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

June 2013 delivery. Never had a front plate. No tickets. Yet.

14. dunati

dunati New Member

I have not had a front plate on my g35s since i moved here in 2012. Just a couple weeks ago I misread a parking sign and got a parking ticket AND the no front plate ticket (near pioneer square). Unlike California it doesn't seem like I have to provide proof that I actually put on a front plate, just pay the ~$50. I'll gladly pay $8/year to not put a front plate on my car.

• Like x 1
  15. rpo

rpo Member

I got pulled over a couple years ago in Seattle for no front plate . It was a $140 fine .

16. alloverx

alloverx Member

You need some luck but I suspect if you
    -have a heavily tinted car
    -push the speed limits
    -have no front license plate
    you will get some attention eventually.

17. Seattle Tom

Seattle Tom Member

Tell the employee it’s YOUR car, not his, and he can take his front plate mounting hardware and stick it.

I choose to run without one because it looks awful and I choose to take the risk of getting a ticket. That’s your choice to make, not the Service Center’s choice.

Of course, I live in Bothell and not generally in reach of or interacting with the Seattle Stasi (formerly meter maids).

18. Araman0

Araman0 Member

I've lived in Seattle proper for 4 years and both my cars (formerly an Audi and now my S) lived on our busy street. Neither had front plates, and never any tickets. Then again I drive fairly conservatively when Seattle and save the passionate driving for rural trips. I think you'll be fine, unless you give them another reason to pull you over.

19. whitex

whitex Active Member

Back in 2015 I got pulled over in Redmond for not having the front plate. The car was brand new and I affixed the temporary registration in place of a rear license plate. After pulling me over after only seeing the front (he just walked out onto the road and told me to pull over), the cop noticed the temporary registration and just said "oh, nevermid, but make sure Tesla installs you front plate when you get it". I wasn't speeding or doing anything else worth pulling over, traffic was bumper-to-bumper and the cop moved onto an Audi without front plate a few cars behind me.

20. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Member

I saw one guy had a decal made of plate. It was as low as possible. No holes, brackets. Exact plate.

• Funny x 1