Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to avoid being forced to have a front license plate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

UnknownSoldier

Unknown Member
Apr 17, 2017
Earth
I see many S which have gotten away with not having the front plate here in WA. However when I got my S the people at Seattle SC insisted on mounting the front plate. For the 3 I have coming, how do I convince them to leave my front bumper alone?

I’m guessing you mean the plate holder since you get the actual license plates later in the mail. If it’s anything like an S, just remove it when you get home. In WA all S models are delivered with the plate holder (the car is actually crash tested with it on). Not sure if it’s the same for Model 3.

I met a guy once who actually printed his license plate on some kind of vinyl and mounted it flush with his Model X front bumper. He even had some trick for giving it a reflective characteristic at night.

Looks like this thread might have the same idea >> Vinyl license plate sticker

As for myself, I have lived in Washington for 4 years and Wisconsin for many years before that. Both states require front plates, but I've never had one and have never been stopped.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
I met a guy once who actually printed his license plate on some kind of vinyl and mounted it flush with his Model X front bumper. He even had some trick for giving it a reflective characteristic at night.

Looks like this thread might have the same idea >> Vinyl license plate sticker

As for myself, I have lived in Washington for 4 years and Wisconsin for many years before that. Both states require front plates, but I've never had one and have never been stopped.
I don't think you get pulled over for it, but you will get tickets if you are parked on the street in Seattle.

I have a 2015 Model S, and I've never had the front plates on.

Back then the license plates were shipped to me so it's not like the SC had a chance to put it on.

So I'm a bit confused about how the SC had the opportunity to do so unless things are done differently now.

I'm undecided on whether I'll put them on the Model 3. The S was too beautiful, and before the facelift the license plate looked funny. The Model 3 on the other hand isn't as pretty (subjective of course) so it's not completely ruining it with a plate.

The Model 3 is more of my "everything sucks, and I don't care anymore" vehicle so I'll probably uglify it with the silly pointless plate.

Now days everything is under construction, and ash is falling down so I'm pulling the french move with the white flag.

• Love
Reactions: FlatSix911
I have not had a front plate on my g35s since i moved here in 2012. Just a couple weeks ago I misread a parking sign and got a parking ticket AND the no front plate ticket (near pioneer square). Unlike California it doesn't seem like I have to provide proof that I actually put on a front plate, just pay the ~$50. I'll gladly pay $8/year to not put a front plate on my car.

Reactions: Araman0
Tell the employee it’s YOUR car, not his, and he can take his front plate mounting hardware and stick it.

I choose to run without one because it looks awful and I choose to take the risk of getting a ticket. That’s your choice to make, not the Service Center’s choice.

Of course, I live in Bothell and not generally in reach of or interacting with the Seattle Stasi (formerly meter maids).

I've lived in Seattle proper for 4 years and both my cars (formerly an Audi and now my S) lived on our busy street. Neither had front plates, and never any tickets. Then again I drive fairly conservatively when Seattle and save the passionate driving for rural trips. I think you'll be fine, unless you give them another reason to pull you over.

I don't think you get pulled over for it, but you will get tickets if you are parked on the street in Seattle.
Back in 2015 I got pulled over in Redmond for not having the front plate. The car was brand new and I affixed the temporary registration in place of a rear license plate. After pulling me over after only seeing the front (he just walked out onto the road and told me to pull over), the cop noticed the temporary registration and just said "oh, nevermid, but make sure Tesla installs you front plate when you get it". I wasn't speeding or doing anything else worth pulling over, traffic was bumper-to-bumper and the cop moved onto an Audi without front plate a few cars behind me.