Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to be 100% sure a M3 is the 2021 model.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have my eyes on a 20 plate M3 and Tesla CS cannot help me by answering a simple question. Is this the 21 MY!? So I know the one tell tale sign which is the dechrome which this has, but my concern is that it's a 20 plate and there are 70 plates that are MY <20. So either is the very first MY 21 ever :) OR this person dechromed it!

I know about the electric tailgate but wondered if any interior shots (seats) might help swing it to a MY 21 car!!

Thanks.

can you tell from this?

Attachments

• e3cd9fc19aae44dda4b985ff3ea58837.jpg
    e3cd9fc19aae44dda4b985ff3ea58837.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 88
It’s a 2020 model. Few key ways to tell (having owned one)
- 2021 models were only registered Dec 2020 onwards. Nov and earlier are 2020 models.
- 2021 has a sliding centre console (a challenge to retrofit)
- Powered tail gate (can be after market)
- Blacked out Chrome (can be after market)
- Aero wheel covers are slightly different, (can be after market fitted as well)
- If you have access to the car you can remove the Frunk with a Socket Wrench, which should reveal the heat pump (impossible to retrofit)
- Online on the Tesla webpage for the owner of the car, it will list the car as the 2020 Model

—-
TLDR- all Model 3’s registered December 2020 onwards in the UK are the 2021 model. Even if on 70 plates

Reactions: NewbieT
It’s a 2020 model. Few key ways to tell (having owned one)
- 2021 models were only registered Dec 2020 onwards. Nov and earlier are 2020 models.
- 2021 has a sliding centre console (a challenge to retrofit)
- Powered tail gate (can be after market)
- Blacked out Chrome (can be after market)
- Aero wheel covers are slightly different, (can be after market fitted as well)
- If you have access to the car you can remove the Frunk with a Socket Wrench, which should reveal the heat pump (impossible to retrofit)
- Online on the Tesla webpage for the owner of the car, it will list the car as the 2020 Model

—-
TLDR- all Model 3’s registered December 2020 onwards in the UK are the 2021 model. Even if on 70 plates
Thank you. Good job I checked.

The big topic at the time for 2021 models in the UK was the "matrix headlights" as they are commonly referred to.

They are the most obvious clue here and it's been shown they can't be retrofitted.

It was a different story in other countries.

Last edited:
I don't know why Tesla even introduced the title of 2021 model, they were and are mostly against having model years.

But as a term, they created it and so it has gained some meaning. They even state it on their used car listings.

The ongoing changes are not even consistent, the original tail lights have returned, dimming wing mirrors went and returned, etc. So even changes are not necessarily permanent. And changes are not always better for the customer, even when clever wording suggests otherwise.

But I accept somehow, the term 2021 has cemented itself for whatever reason.

Last edited:
That looks pre refresh, I have a December 20 model 3 called the 21 and has the sliding door in Matt grey and two charge pads. My understanding the shiny console is the pre refresh.