Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to best clean the leather seats?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got the black leather, perforated seats. Noticed that the arm rest is getting a bit soiled from my sweaty arms resting on them...what is the best way to clean these up, without discoloring them further? I think I may have sunscreen on them...in the future I may drape a towel over this area prior to resting said elbow.

I am really worried about my tan armrests getting gummed up and the leather pattern being rubbed off too. I think we need some form of arm rest protector, and not just cleaning. Not sure what to do here. Perhaps have them wrapped in plastic like a 1950's couch cover.:)

I am really worried about my tan armrests getting gummed up and the leather pattern being rubbed off too. I think we need some form of arm rest protector, and not just cleaning. Not sure what to do here. Perhaps have them wrapped in plastic like a 1950's couch cover.:)
I knew saving all that packaging bubble-wrap would come in handy one day...

I think the Granny Couch treatment would look real good! Thanks for the tip!

Seriously, folks: anyone have experience with a leather cleaner/preservative on tan leather seats? I used Lexol for years on Lexus' my tan interior. Did a good job, but the seats weren't perforated for the ineffective ventilation option...

Yes and no. Brushing it off with your hand is nearly impossible, but a shop vac cleans it up in no time. The floor mats are a different story. More sand accumulates permemantly with every FL trip.

Sorry - gotta disagree with you here. Maybe the sand particles in my local playground are larger or smaller than your local beach, but I've gotten some grains permanently stuck in the perforations in my 3rd row - I let my kids play back there after a playground trip, and didn't do a thorough check of their pockets or crocs. Could not get some of them out even using a focal corner tool attachment on my pretty high powered vacuum... stuck reaaaaal good... :(

My first job in high school was cleaning cars for a limo company that had some fancy rides that people use to feature in their wedding photos (A few Rolls Royce, and a half dozen Excaliburs).

Anyway, my enjoyment from detailing continues to this day. For normal leather cleaning I use Lexol which is cheap and readily available; spray on and spray off.
For a deeper clean (stains from blue jeans for example), Leatherique Prestine Clean is a good option but it requires wiping on and letting it sit.

• Informative
Reactions: ModelX
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I bought some Pinnacle Black Label Cleaner and Conditioner, and I will try that and report results. The driver's seat is not really soiled, but just darkening a little. Not sure why. I don't wear blue jeans while driving or any other material that would likely transfer color, so a little mystified.

@aesculus saw the seats and thought the leather was discoloring, so that prompted action. Besides, the armrests do need some kind of protection/treatment to prevent wear and discoloration.

@aesculus saw the seats and thought the leather was discoloring, so that prompted action. Besides, the armrests do need some kind of protection/treatment to prevent wear and discoloration.
Our cars have the same interior color and the roughly same mileage and same climate but Ross's driver seat was definitely turning darker than mine was. We were baffled.:confused: