TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How to block Seeking Alpha from searches

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by azred, Jun 2, 2017.

1. azred

azred Member

It seems that whenever I search for the latest news on Tesla via Google about half of the current hits are Seeking Alpha articles and at first glance it's hard to notice. Is there any way to block the Internet cancer known as Seeking Alpha from searches? It's worse than ads as at least they can be blocked by most browsers.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  2. M0DEL³

M0DEL³ Dilluting Kool-Aid with Realism daily.

#2 M0DEL³, Jun 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    This is the URL I use to knock out both SA & Business Insider (which I find to be another source of valueless Tesla clickbait):

tesla -"seeking alpha" -"business insider"

Customize it as you desire.

• Helpful x 2
  3. azred

azred Member

Thanks. I know how to customize searches with the minus sign, but I was hoping to be able to use the old Google functionality to permanently block up to 500 websites from all Google searches -- Google had a function called Manage Sites -- but I can't seem to find any indication that it is still available. I use Chrome on my Android phone and on my iPad so if anyone knows if that functionality still exists please let me know how to access it.

4. Red Sage

Red Sage The Cybernetic Samurai

Thanks for this. I didn't realize I had to use quotation marks. I had tried the 'minus' option before to no avail.

Problem is... If you do a Google search for only 'tsla', it brings up a stock quote chart...
    upload_2017-6-21_20-20-48.png

And below that you still get a 'Top Stories' section that includes [SINKING ANCHOR] among results...
    upload_2017-6-21_20-22-38.png

That really gets on my nerves. There is a Chrome extension that allows you to block certain websites, but it is not as effective as it should be, does nothing beyond the first page of a 'News' search, and cannot be applied to mobile devices at all. It is 'Personal Blocklist (by Google)'...
    upload_2017-6-21_20-29-45.png
    upload_2017-6-21_20-31-56.png

Anyway, when I apply your 'fix' it gets rid of the 'Top Stories' inclusion of [SINKING ANCHOR], but also eliminates the Google stock chart view (while questioning if I actually wanted to search for 'tesla' instead)...
    upload_2017-6-21_20-34-20.png

But if I started with "tsla stock" in quotations marks, it didn't ask if I meant something else...
    upload_2017-6-21_20-33-9.png

One fun thing is that one of those 'Top stories' is from CNBC, which I have also blocked on my system... My guess is that in some ways Google has bowed to those who claim they are censors, by allowing 'popular' things to float to the top of searches, even when they are full of crap. Either that, or Google is allowing advertising revenue to sorely affect their search results.

5. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

It works for CNN too...

6. riemannh

riemannh Member

It really annoys me that search engines don't have native support of this. Bing used to allow this (and its results really aren't that much different than Google, IMO). Since they removed this as an option I've slowly noticed my searches migrate back to Google.

It's particularly stupid (again, IMO) as these same providers tailor my searches to me (if I allow it) anyway... so let me have a little control. Please. Think of all the datums they could mine from everyone's personal black-lists.

• Like x 2