Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to block Seeking Alpha from searches

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems that whenever I search for the latest news on Tesla via Google about half of the current hits are Seeking Alpha articles and at first glance it's hard to notice. Is there any way to block the Internet cancer known as Seeking Alpha from searches? It's worse than ads as at least they can be blocked by most browsers.

This is the URL I use to knock out both SA & Business Insider (which I find to be another source of valueless Tesla clickbait):

tesla -"seeking alpha" -"business insider"

Customize it as you desire.

Last edited:
This is the URL I use to knock out both SA & Business Insider (which I find to be another source of valueless Tesla clickbait):

Thanks. I know how to customize searches with the minus sign, but I was hoping to be able to use the old Google functionality to permanently block up to 500 websites from all Google searches -- Google had a function called Manage Sites -- but I can't seem to find any indication that it is still available. I use Chrome on my Android phone and on my iPad so if anyone knows if that functionality still exists please let me know how to access it.

Thanks for this. I didn't realize I had to use quotation marks. I had tried the 'minus' option before to no avail.

Problem is... If you do a Google search for only 'tsla', it brings up a stock quote chart...
upload_2017-6-21_20-20-48.png

And below that you still get a 'Top Stories' section that includes [SINKING ANCHOR] among results...
upload_2017-6-21_20-22-38.png

That really gets on my nerves. There is a Chrome extension that allows you to block certain websites, but it is not as effective as it should be, does nothing beyond the first page of a 'News' search, and cannot be applied to mobile devices at all. It is 'Personal Blocklist (by Google)'...
upload_2017-6-21_20-29-45.png

upload_2017-6-21_20-31-56.png

Anyway, when I apply your 'fix' it gets rid of the 'Top Stories' inclusion of [SINKING ANCHOR], but also eliminates the Google stock chart view (while questioning if I actually wanted to search for 'tesla' instead)...
upload_2017-6-21_20-34-20.png

But if I started with "tsla stock" in quotations marks, it didn't ask if I meant something else...
upload_2017-6-21_20-33-9.png

One fun thing is that one of those 'Top stories' is from CNBC, which I have also blocked on my system... My guess is that in some ways Google has bowed to those who claim they are censors, by allowing 'popular' things to float to the top of searches, even when they are full of crap. Either that, or Google is allowing advertising revenue to sorely affect their search results.

It really annoys me that search engines don't have native support of this. Bing used to allow this (and its results really aren't that much different than Google, IMO). Since they removed this as an option I've slowly noticed my searches migrate back to Google.

It's particularly stupid (again, IMO) as these same providers tailor my searches to me (if I allow it) anyway... so let me have a little control. Please. Think of all the datums they could mine from everyone's personal black-lists.