Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to bridge gap waiting for model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My original plan was to give my daughter my car and buy a new one. My daughter is 16 and just got her first job. So, it doesn't look like I will be able to hold out for the M3 without some stop gap solution. What's a very inexpensive way to have a vehicle for the 12 months to 18 months that I am waiting? I feel like every penny I spend on this stop gap solution is flushing money that I wish was going towards my M3.
Ps. I drive 20k/year. Her, not much.

OP, way too many unknowns in your situation to offer any good advice.
-what do you drive now?
-how much do you want to spend?
-you say 20K miles a year you drive; mostly highway? what is your commute?
-how much does you daughter drive?
-does she really need her own car? can she rideshare or have friends help out?

Probably more that I can't think of now. Maybe buy your daughter a cheap Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla/Camry/Prius, Nissan Leaf, maybe Chevy Volt and keep driving what you have. Another option could be take over someone's lease. Check swapalease.com.

Reactions: Red Sage
Depends on your level of tolerance. I'm currently driving a 2004 Pontiac Vibe with 150K miles. While I believe it will easily make the next year, there is always the possibility of something unforeseen.
I've decided that if something happens between now and then, I would get a VERY cheap transportation. As long as it drives and has air conditioning (Texas). I can drive a $1000 beater for a year if needed.

Reactions: jsrawa and Red Sage
My original plan was to give my daughter my car and buy a new one. My daughter is 16 and just got her first job. So, it doesn't look like I will be able to hold out for the M3 without some stop gap solution. What's a very inexpensive way to have a vehicle for the 12 months to 18 months that I am waiting? I feel like every penny I spend on this stop gap solution is flushing money that I wish was going towards my M3.
Ps. I drive 20k/year. Her, not much.
You are in So Cal. Anaheim Preowned Cars has a good supply of off-lease Leafs at killer prices. At the monent they have over 50 of them. I am headed there Friday to pick one out for my wife to hold her over until her Model 3 arrives. Eevn though she has a Prius now, putting gas in her car feels like I am giving money to the Koch brothers. Wait! It actually is giving money to the Koch's.

If you think you're going to get a Leaf as the stop gap, you may want to spend the money in 2016 to run a high wattage outlet in your garage so you can claim the deduction in 2016.
In my case I already have a Nema 14-50 for my S. Today, I will install a Clipper Creek HSC40 just outside my garage for any Leaf's etc. It was the 30% tax credit that prompted me to buy the Clipper creek last week.

The Model 3 I reserved is supposed to replace our 2002, Gen 1 Prius, worth, maybe, $1800. Sedan for sedan. However, after 16 years and 200,000 miles, the Prius had a battery fault code that pointed to failed cells. Subsequent investigation showed this to be accurate. We had green, corrosive slime oozing from two cells. What to do?
We replaced the battery pack with a reconditioned pack for $2400.
Cheap car, and will certainly last until a worthy EV replacement becomes available.
Robin