Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to buy a roof rack (but not from Tesla)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to make a post to give everyone info on what I've learned trying to buy a Whispbar roof rack for cheap. And most importantly, how to get them. Obviously, you can buy them from Tesla directly for $550 but IMO it is a steep price to pay for their installation.

NOTE: This post is only talking about the Whispbar (now owned by Yakima) roof rack. There are other roof racks available from Thule that works well with the Model S but I'm not discussing that today.

The Problem

Whispbar, the company that makes the aerodynamic roof rack sold by Tesla, no longer makes the S37W roof rack kit. They discontinued production of the kit a while back so it is almost impossible to get it in the US from a retailer.

The S37W has three major parts. Two cross bars (1 x 1050 mm and 1 x 1150 mm length) and a fitting kit.

Whispbar/Yakima still makes the cross bars. In fact, I believe the S7 and S9 roof racks are of 1050 mm and 1150 mm in length. So if you want just the cross bars, you can technically just split up an S7 and S9 kit. In fact, ReRack sells them as an S37 set. So finding a cross bars should not be an issue.

Which brings us to fitting kits.

Depending on the model year, your car is compatible with either a K930W (newer models) fitting kit or a K704W (older models) fitting kit.

Whispbar/Yakima no longer makes these. And that's the problem.

Getting a fitting kit

If you have the roof rack and you want just the fitting kit, these are your options:

1. Call your Tesla service center, ask for the parts department and place an order for the following part numbers.

K930W - P/N 1036383-00-B
K704W - P/N TBD (If you know the number, please comment/message and I'll edit the post)

This is easier than calling all the Tesla service centers you can think of and asking if they have the fitting kit. With the part number, Tesla is able to search the inventory worldwide and place an order with the warehouse if needed.

The fitting kits run about $75-$100 from Tesla. This is pretty much the cheapest way to get the kit. But know that Tesla is experiencing severe shortage of the kit so it may take months to get one.

2. Give Roof Rack Store (Roof Rack Store Sydney Australia - Thule, Yakima and Whispbar) a call.

A huge thanks to summit123 for this tip!

For whatever reason, the fitting kit is still in production outside US and you can buy one from this store in Sydney, Australia. Even with international shipping, the fitting kit is fairly cheap (around $75 for the kit and $75 for shipping IIRC)

You might not find the kit on their website but they do carry it. And they use UPS international shipping which means you get it within 3 days.

Getting the complete S37W kit

If you want a new, complete, S37W kit with the cross bars and the fitting kit, these are your options

1. Give Roof Rack Store (Roof Rack Store Sydney Australia - Thule, Yakima and Whispbar) a call.

Again a huge thanks to summit123 for this tip!

Roof Rack Store sells the S37W kit (in silver and black) for AUD 350 (USD 255!). That is less than half the price of what you'd get it for from Tesla and only few dollars more buying just the crossbars from ReRack.

Even with shipping, I paid only USD 400 to have the entire kit shipped to NYC and I got it within 3 business days via UPS. That still saves you more than $150 when compared to buying directly from Tesla. This to me, is the best and easiest option for anyone buying the entire kit.

2. Have a friend in Europe? Ask them to check their local stores and local Tesla service centers.

Again, for whatever reason, the roof rack kit is still available outside the US. Not only that, from what I've heard, they are cheaper in Europe (even direct from Tesla). So if you have friends in Europe, they might be able to get it for cheaper and you can have it shipped here.

Just be sure to compare the total cost with getting it from a place like Roof Rack Store.

Future

According to Yakima customer service, Yakima and Tesla are working on adapting new fit kits (they call them landing pads now I think) and new aerodynamic crossbars for the Tesla Model S and the Model 3. However, the release has been delayed due to Tesla still doing some testing on the cars.

For people who are not in a rush to get a roof rack may want to wait and see what the future brings. But there is a slight risk that the new roof racks, when introduced, may be only compatible with MY 2019 cars and up.

I'm not sure when they will release the new kit but with the discontinuation of the S37Ws, I'm hoping it will be within the next year.

2. Have a friend in Europe? Ask them to check their local stores and local Tesla service centers.

Again, for whatever reason, the roof rack kit is still available outside the US. Not only that, from what I've heard, they are cheaper in Europe (even direct from Tesla). So if you have friends in Europe, they might be able to get it for cheaper and you can have it shipped here.

Just be sure to compare the total cost with getting it from a place like Roof Rack Store.
---------------------------

You don't need a friend in Europe. You can use a forwarding service. I got my rack (with through-bars) and fit kit ( S17B with K930w) from roofbox.co.uk Roof bars & Roof racks | Tesla Model S (2014 on) for $230 + $80 shipping = $310 for everything.

The forwarding service I used was parcl.com since roofbox.co won't ship to the US. Once you sign up, you submit a forwarder request then choose from several offers. I used RS Logistics who were great (they put the fit kit into the rails package to save shipping and rewrapped the whole package in plastic). Then you purchase the item and have roofbox.co ship to your forwarder then they ship it on to you (you can pay a little more to have your forwarder purchase it since US based credit cards can be a problem). The $80 total shipping fee from parcel.com included a $17 service fee for the forwarding and the rest was the air mail.

Whole process took a total of about 2 weeks, but there was a mail strike in the UK which slowed things down. Little bit of hassle to save $240, plus you can get the through bars which give you 3-5 more inches for gear and I got black which look really sweet.

• Informative
Reactions: Red_DS
Just signed up to say thanks for the info, and help with the latest on this rack situation.
I had the crossbars, but couldn't get the k903w kit from anyone. No response from Tesla or any service center after tons of calls and messages saying they'd get back to me. Finally heard from a person that Tesla no longer sells the foot kit separately. Only option was to get the whole rack from Tesla. I did not want to spend more, since I already had the whispbars. Not exactly knowing what was in the footing kit, I took a chance on REI, as they have kits for other vehicles for $20. I ordered a few versions. The one that fits closest was k396w. Manual mentions for the Panamera. It contained all the parts needed, not perfectly though. The threaded posts in the Tesla kit are 80mm, in the k396w they include 70 and 90mm.
I found the Tesla install manual to verify. The rubber mounts for Tesla are #11-04-235a and 11-04-236A. Doing a search for those, I came across a listing at Yakima's website. Here:TESLA K930 BASE PADS (PAIR)
I ordered those and finally got my rack set up. Yakima also sells the Tesla logo covers for $16. I had to talk to a car to get the rubber mounts for some reason, they are listed for $0.00, which could be why.
I actually used the rubber mounts from the Panamera kit on the front, as they aren't as tall.
Here's a picture of them compared.
20190523_180650.jpg
20190523_180712.jpg
20190523_180740.jpg
20190523_180927.jpg

You don't need a friend in Europe. You can use a forwarding service. I got my rack (with through-bars) and fit kit ( S17B with K930w) from roofbox.co.uk Roof bars & Roof racks | Tesla Model S (2014 on) for $230 + $80 shipping = $310 for everything.

The forwarding service I used was parcl.com since roofbox.co won't ship to the US. Once you sign up, you submit a forwarder request then choose from several offers. I used RS Logistics who were great (they put the fit kit into the rails package to save shipping and rewrapped the whole package in plastic). Then you purchase the item and have roofbox.co ship to your forwarder then they ship it on to you (you can pay a little more to have your forwarder purchase it since US based credit cards can be a problem). The $80 total shipping fee from parcel.com included a $17 service fee for the forwarding and the rest was the air mail.

Whole process took a total of about 2 weeks, but there was a mail strike in the UK which slowed things down. Little bit of hassle to save $240, plus you can get the through bars which give you 3-5 more inches for gear and I got black which look really sweet.

Thanks for the info on roofbox.co.uk and parcl.com! I just ordered the K930 fit kit for the S17 rack I bought already. It's £31 shipped to the forwarder in the UK and $US29 to have it shipped to me in Vancouver. Seems to be the best price overall but I have to wait a couple of weeks.

This is exactly the info I was looking for and about to ask for. Is this still pretty up-to-date? You can no longer get the Tesla one on their site even if you wanted to, so my guess is the service centers won’t have the fitting kits - I emailed last week with no response but will call next week.
Yakima still doesn’t seem to have the kit for a 2016 pano roof... I’ve emailed them as well, though.

So glad I found this thread! I ordered the S37WB and K930W for my January 2019 Model S with sun roof (one of the last pre-Raven models). Roof Rack Store in Sydney was very responsive on email, I placed the order on Friday, got the crossbars yesterday afternoon, and had them installed that evening. Total cost was about US$400 including shipping.

For contrast: I spent a week hassling back and forth with the local service center, they wanted to do an $825 retrofit after which I would still need to buy the cross bars. Of course they didn't have the retrofit parts in stock, so ordering from Australia was faster and cheaper!

Many thanks to @Red_DS and @summit123!