Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

how to buy Tesla Toolbox ? and from where ? and which program

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
News to me. Thanks for the link.

Did it work for you?

Actually, on clicking download, you have to log in. That obviously suggests that you have to be given permission to use that tool.

That either means I was right and it internal, or Tesla has to grant you access to use it, e.g., you're an authorized body shop.

So, congrats, you're my first "disagree" vote and it wasn't warranted :)

Good luck with your repairs.

Last edited:
News to me. Thanks for the link.

Did it work for you?

Actually, on clicking download, you have to log in. That obviously suggests that you have to be given permission to use that tool.

That either means I was right and it internal, or Tesla has to grant you access to use it, e.g., you're an authorized body shop.

So, congrats, you're my first "disagree" vote and it wasn't warranted :)

Good luck with your repairs.

yes that is the problem how i can get allow to that ?

• Disagree
Reactions: spectrum
Just in case someone is still searching for this...
maxwelltech said:
Toolbox is not guaranteed to work with salvage cars, the cable is compatible but the token authentication used between the car and the Toolbox app makes it difficult to service cars that Tesla has deemed "un-fixable" and remotely disabled.

In order to use this cable, you will need an active account on service.teslamotors.com, you can then download Toolbox at toolbox.teslamotors.com (needs a Win7,8, or 10 PC), the base rate for a subscription is $30/day up to $3000/year (not included with this cable). I CANNOT provide ANY support for the Toolbox app, nor can I provide access free or otherwise, please do not message me about this.

So with an active subscription on Welcome | Tesla Service (registration is even possible for private persons) you should be able to log in and download on Toolbox

Toolbox is only availabe for approved bodyshops.
General Access accounts vary by region and provide a variety of subscriptions: Personal Access for individuals, Business Access for companies, Industry Access for Insurance, and Body Shop Access for official Tesla Approved Body Shops with a Tesla Certification ID.

Last edited:
@rothman
About one year ago I had a service.teslamotors.com subscription (registered for a European company) because I thought it would be possible to access Toolbox site but support told me there is no Toolbox for independent operators.

Your screenshot was taken from a user with bodyshop credentials.

I think Tesla should have a look at
Commission Regulation (EC) No 1400/2002 of 31 July 2002 by the Commission of the European Communities.

(26) In order to protect effective competition on the market for repair and maintenance services and to prevent foreclosure of independent repairers, motor vehicle manufacturers must allow all interested independent operators to have full access to all technical information, diagnostic and other equipment, tools, including all relevant software, and training required for the repair and maintenance of motor vehicles. Independent operators who must be allowed such access include in particular independent repairers, manufacturers of repair equipment or tools, publishers of technical information, automobile clubs, roadside assistance operators, operators offering inspection and testing services and operators offering training for repairers. In particular, the conditions of access must not discriminate between authorised and independent operators, access must be given upon request and without undue delay, and the price charged for the information should not discourage access to it by failing to take into account the extent to which the independent operator uses it. A supplier of motor vehicles should be required to give independent operators access to technical information on new motor vehicles at the same time as such access is given to its authorised repairers and must not oblige independent operators to purchase more than the information necessary to carry out the work in question. Suppliers should be obliged to give access to the technical information necessary for re-programming electronic devices in a motor vehicle. It is, however, legitimate and proper for them to withhold access to technical information which might allow a third party to bypass or disarm on-board anti-theft devices, to recalibrate electronic devices or to tamper with devices which for instance limit the speed of a motor vehicle, unless protection against theft, re-calibration or tampering can be attained by other less restrictive means. Intellectual property rights and rights regarding know-how including those which relate to the aforementioned devices must be exercised in a manner which avoids any type of abuse.
Extract from https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:32002R1400

Last edited:
Why what? Why do I want to know? Because I think we have a right to repair our own cars.
Tesla isn’t stopping you or anyone from repairing your own car. They are simply saying that it’s dangerous to mess with third party software and modifying your car’s firmware is not as lighthearted as your phone. If your phone crashes, oh well you can restore it. If you car crashes, you’re dead, or worse, you kill someone else.

So just stop it and use the car for it’s intended purpose, like the rest of us. There isn’t anything you can add to a Tesla that isn’t already there.

Mhm you got your point in terms of security there but totally overstating it. Toolbox access ist not abt some total firmware replace like with custom rooms for mobile phones IMHO.

Problem is some people will always fiddle with their cars and i think it would be way more safer if those could use Tesla's official Toolbox Software rather then pulling some "random" cables for hacking/rooting their way into the system.

Furthermore, take the Model S handles for example, 1st and 2nd gen where not great but really repairable by everyone, Gen3 on the other hand still fails but now you have to take your car to Tesla or your Bodyshop with Toolbox access and pay them a bunch of money for a click in that software
1cekziV.jpg

A good compromise would be to sell at least lower access levels of the software to individuals, e.g. no HV component settings/access - leaving those options to certified workshops only

Last edited: