Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to calculate max range with 18” wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a formula I can use to calculate my max mileage?

Just charged the car to 100% and was going to take it on a 30 mile trip to get an idea of my max range.

I previously had the 21” Ubers and switched them to 18s at delivery but I’m unsure how to calculate the max mileage. In the wheel config options I set it to 19” wheels since there is no 18” option.

Also, does projected range in the “Energy” tab take into account your wheel size? Or is it purely based on your energy consumption? If it’s the latter, I could just use the energy tab for projected range.

Thanks

Last edited:
Just to add, will the displayed wh/mi still be accurate? I have 18" wheels instead of the 19" ones that I've selected in the wheel config settings. AFAIK, each 360 degree turn of the wheel will be less distance than a 19" wheel so will the wh/mi be incorrect since I have smaller wheels than the car thinks?

Just to add, will the displayed wh/mi still be accurate? I have 18" wheels instead of the 19" ones that I've selected in the wheel config settings. AFAIK, each 360 degree turn of the wheel will be less distance than a 19" wheel so will the wh/mi be incorrect since I have smaller wheels than the car thinks?
What size tires do you have? I'd expect you got tires as close as possible to the OEM (19") diameter so there won't be a difference in speedometer reading. OEM tires have virtually the same diameter for 19/20/21" wheels.

Anyway it's unlikely to going to change your real range - most difference would be caused by how energy efficient the tires are. the tire width, and how aerodynamic the new wheels are compared to the Geminis.

BTW: the energy tab shows you the average consumption for the last 5/15(?)/30 miles so will be a good indication of actual energy usage. But that will only be useful if you do a round trip returning to the starting point, energy usage will be dramatically different when driving downhill compared to uphill, or even with a headwind as compared to a tailwind.

What size tires do you have? I'd expect you got tires as close as possible to the OEM (19") diameter so there won't be a difference in speedometer reading. OEM tires have virtually the same diameter for 19/20/21" wheels.

Anyway it's unlikely to going to change your real range - most difference would be caused by how energy efficient the tires are. the tire width, and how aerodynamic the new wheels are compared to the Geminis.

BTW: the energy tab shows you the average consumption for the last 5/15(?)/30 miles so will be a good indication of actual energy usage. But that will only be useful if you do a round trip returning to the starting point, energy usage will be dramatically different when driving downhill compared to uphill, or even with a headwind as compared to a tailwind.
I see! Tire size is 235/55R18. Each wheel is 20lbs lighter than the 21" Ubers or 11lbs lighter than each 19" Gemini wheel.

Reactions: Exelion
I see! Tire size is 235/55R18. Each wheel is 20lbs lighter than the 21" Ubers or 11lbs lighter than each 19" Gemini wheel.
That's good, narrower and virtually the same diameter. Should be more efficient than OEM.

BTW: wheel weight should not make much of a difference on highway driving, but should help a bit in city / traffic. But it's a good thing even if there is not that much efficiency improvement.

• Informative
Reactions: Venom