Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to calculate the cost to charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope they tweak the on board 10kW charging units. All AC charging would benefit from that, be it 110V, 240V, J1772, Mennekes, single or three phase AC.
Right now the on board chargers are reported to have a 92% efficiency. I think that's rather poor, given that solar inverters approach 99%.

Thats like comparing apples and oranges.
A solar inverter converts DC to AC.
The charger is converting AC to DC and then to chemical energy in the battery. Some of the charger's efficiency rating is how much energy the battery absorbs and how much it loses as heat - and thats all on the battery chemistry. ( Somebody feel free to correct me if that is wrong ).
Its not even as close as apples and oranges.

You're right, inverters and rectifiers are not in the same league. Rectifiers are much simpler. Diode based designs reach 95%. Most effort is spent on smoothing the DC output voltage.
When talking about charger efficiency, I'd prefer to talk about ratio of electric power output (DC) to input (AC), omitting the charge process losses that stem from battery chemistry.
I see the point of optimizing a charger to minimize charging losses in a specific battery chemistry, though.

Is electricity crazy-expensive in Cali? My current rate is 7.2c per KWh, but I've been assuming when I get my S I'll switch to one of the 'free' overnight tarriffs. Obviously it's not 'free', but I can push a lot of useage to overnight (dryer, dishwasher, pool stuff, the car, obviously) to more than offset the additional daytime charge, which when I last checked was 10.1c per KWh. Like others on here, 90% of my bulbs are LED (5% CFL, 5% tungsten), and it seems to make a huge difference, especially if you live in a house where the other occupants can't seem to work the off button (but are super-awesome with the on button). Installing the Nest thermostats seems to be helping a lot this summer as well.

The average house uses about 30-40 kWh per day.
:scared:

You are joking, right? If not, what kind of equipment are you running? We (myself, wife, two kids) live in a "normal" house with all kinds of electrical equipment (no LED lighting by the way) and we use less than 10 kWh per day.

The US average kWh costs 11 cents.

Ah, now I see... :wink:

(The average kWh here costs about 0.25 EUR or roughly 31 US cents)

:scared:

You are joking, right? If not, what kind of equipment are you running? We (myself, wife, two kids) live in a "normal" house with all kinds of electrical equipment (no LED lighting by the way) and we use less than 10 kWh per day.

Ah, now I see... :wink:

(The average kWh here costs about 0.25 EUR or roughly 31 US cents)

Well, ... we live in a quite large 100-year-old house with 45cm thick solid-brick walls and I use 250 kWh/day to mainly cool the house in the worst heat of summer. :eek:

Our local utility charges $0.078/kWh for a flat, non-seasonal rate. It's broken down to 0.022 for transmission and 0.056 for generation. Ohio has competitive generation suppliers while transmission is a regulated monopoly.

Plus levels of insulation, and build quality in general are far superior in Europe, so with that, and less need for AC, the consumption will be less. I now live it what's described as being a 'highly insulated' house, but it's laughable compared to standards in many other countries.

Hi All Tesla Motor Club users, we have had some of you guys contact us regarding our electric vs petrol fuel cost calculator. As we are proud supporters of the Tesla Motor Club we have opened it up for you all to use, follow this link and you can use the tool to calculate journey costs and compare these to IC vehicles.

https://www.ecocars4sale.com/electric-car-fuel-cost-comparison-calculator

Hope it helps!