Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to Change the Keyboard to Japanese or Any Foreign Characters?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in US and I like to use the Web Browser or YouTube to watch some Japanese content.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to change the character set of the Tesla keyboard which limit my searches.
This is quite easy to do so on a computer or smartphone but I didn't find howto do so.
I wonder if there is any particular setting that I could use?
Idem for Voice Activated?
どうも有り難う御座います。

Note: This is what I would like to get
英数.jpg 平仮名片仮名.jpg 音声起動.jpg
僕テス: 英数  平仮名片仮名  音声起動

Reactions: hiroshiy
I am in US and I like to use the Web Browser or YouTube to watch some Japanese content.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to change the character set of the Tesla keyboard which limit my searches.
This is quite easy to do so on a computer or smartphone but I didn't find howto do so.
I wonder if there is any particular setting that I could use?
Idem for Voice Activated?
どうも有り難う御座います。

Note: This is what I would like to get
View attachment 539451 View attachment 539452 View attachment 539453
僕テス: 英数  平仮名片仮名  音声起動
@Watts_Up I think you can only use handwriting recognition, to enter Japanese correctly. I don't have access to the car right now but there is a way to switch to handwriting recognition.

@Watts_Up
I think you can only use handwriting recognition, to enter Japanese correctly.
I don't have access to the car right now but there is a way to switch to handwriting recognition.
Thank you for your answer.

About handwriting recognition, I use Nebo which is an App that I use on my Android Sansung Note with a digital pen,
to convert handwritten Kanji into printable Unicode characters.

However, in the case of the Tesla monitor, I would like to know how to change the keyboard setting, like I would do on any Linux device.

Thank you for your answer.

About handwriting recognition, I use Nebo which is an App that I use on my Android Sansung Note with a digital pen,
to convert handwritten Kanji into printable Unicode characters.

However, in the case of the Tesla monitor, I would like to know how to change the keyboard setting, like I would do on any Linux device.
I was confused. Sorry. Model S/X have handwriting recognition input, but Model 3 doesn't. So you can only use hiragana keyboard as you've shown and convert one by one. Also there's no way to enter small ”tsu” letter on Model 3 so you won't be able to enter any words that include small ”tsu”.

Reactions: Watts_Up
I was confused. Sorry. Model S/X have handwriting recognition input, but Model 3 doesn't. So you can only use hiragana keyboard as you've shown and convert one by one. Also there's no way to enter small ”tsu” letter on Model 3 so you won't be able to enter any words that include small ”tsu”.
Well, since the Model Y has now an USB-Type C plug, it would be great to be able to mirror a smartphone to the Tesla display.

I wonder if there is anyway to adjust the Tesla display settings to a different language,
so if someone rent a Tesla in another country, this person could use his or her native language?