Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to charge a newly purchased used car before it's added to my tesla account.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a used Tesla from an Audi dealer. I asked if they could transfer the car on their account to me and they looked completely confused and blank and said they weren't Tesla dealers so couldn't do that. So I submitted the bill of sale to Tesla on the app and now await their review. In the meantime I need to charge the car. If I go to the supercharger would it just bill the dealer since presumably they are the current account holders.. or even the previous owner or would it not charge at all? Would taking it to the Tesla SC be any use to get things sorted out faster?

I bought a used Tesla from an Audi dealer. I asked if they could transfer the car on their account to me and they looked completely confused and blank and said they weren't Tesla dealers so couldn't do that. So I submitted the bill of sale to Tesla on the app and now await their review. In the meantime I need to charge the car. If I go to the supercharger would it just bill the dealer since presumably they are the current account holders.. or even the previous owner or would it not charge at all? Would taking it to the Tesla SC be any use to get things sorted out faster?
It would bill the current account holder. Most likely, the previous owner deleted that car from the account and the dealer has no clue how to submit paperwork to Tesla to own the account.

Thus, the current account has no owner for billing. Most likely Tesla won't let you Supercharge until someone claims ownership of that account.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Well the update is. I went to supercharger to see what happened and it charged! I took it to the max and it worked.. I guess someone got alerted on an app because immediately after I got a message saying supercharging was disabled. No idea whose responsibility it is to disconnect everything and prevent this happening. Tesla finally added the car to my account on the 5th day and I am now on my way. It's a new world because my previous care requested fusc, it's a bit of a sticker shock for sure.

Yeah I created a Tesla account before I got my first car. They were surprised and it make the whole pickup easier. Especially since everything they needed I had entered or uploaded prior to arrival.
I think my situation was different. I already had a tesla account from a previous car but the Audi dealer knew nothing about Tesla, Tesla app, transferring ownership etc. I have no idea whose account the car was linked to or who got charged for my supercharging session but unless the dealer somehow has the app installed for every used TEsla they are selling you have to manually upload documents to Tesla for verification. I have no idea how Tesla thinks this is supposed to work and they should really provide a more streamlined way for their cars to be sold used by other companies. I guess their incentive is not very high, though a positive experience purchasing a used Tesla could lead to a new car purchase later.

Well the update is. I went to supercharger to see what happened and it charged! I took it to the max and it worked.. I guess someone got alerted on an app because immediately after I got a message saying supercharging was disabled. No idea whose responsibility it is to disconnect everything and prevent this happening. Tesla finally added the car to my account on the 5th day and I am now on my way. It's a new world because my previous care requested fusc, it's a bit of a sticker shock for sure.
Tesla allows one supercharging session when there is no billing method attached to the account/car. Then it disables it until billing method is added and they will charge you for that first charging session.

Tesla allows one supercharging session when there is no billing method attached to the account/car. Then it disables it until billing method is added and they will charge you for that first charging session.
oh, that's good to know.. I am glad that nobody got billed then. That said, I wonder who got billed for the premium connectivity. I just slid the "subscribe for a year" button to see what happened and I then got the connectivity. Maybe it just activated a 30 day trial

How long did it take Tesla to add the car to your app after you submitted the bill of sale?
I'm supposed to travel to Chicago on Saturday to pick up a used Model 3, and I need to be able to drive right away so I can get back in time for an important event super-early Monday morning. Am super duper anxious right now.

As long as you have a proper adapter you can use a non Tesla charger. The common J1772 should come with new cars still? And hopefully even used ones if the previous owner didn’t keep it. Some third party chargers even have Tesla cables on them now as well. I see them all the time at stores, hotels, etc.

Or look for a place that uses Tesla wall chargers since those don’t need to connect to your account.

How long did it take Tesla to add the car to your app after you submitted the bill of sale?
I'm supposed to travel to Chicago on Saturday to pick up a used Model 3, and I need to be able to drive right away so I can get back in time for an important event super-early Monday morning. Am super duper anxious right now.
You should have no problem driving the car as long as the seller gives you a key. If the seller is a private seller than just make sure they do the transfer right there and then. If it's a dealer and they have no idea what they are doing, it could be a bit more of a problem. Tesla took 5 full working days to do the transfer for me which is the maximum they say it should take. If you had to travel long distance home you could use chargepoint or one of the other charging networks if you can't super charge. That said, I was able to supercharge one time.. if you are able to do that.. make full use of it!

Reactions: domenick
You should have no problem driving the car as long as the seller gives you a key. If the seller is a private seller than just make sure they do the transfer right there and then. If it's a dealer and they have no idea what they are doing, it could be a bit more of a problem. Tesla took 5 full working days to do the transfer for me which is the maximum they say it should take. If you had to travel long distance home you could use chargepoint or one of the other charging networks if you can't super charge. That said, I was able to supercharge one time.. if you are able to do that.. make full use of it!
Thanks, and apologies for the slow response. I got the car at the dealer and the transfer happened within minutes. Best possible result.