Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to charge more than 1 e-car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently have a Model S and may well purchase another e-car, perhaps, a non-Tesla (heresy, I know). If I install, which I haven not yet, a 50 amp Telsa Wall Charger, is there a way to daisy-chain another e-car and not a Tesla from that charger?

You can interconnect multiple Tesla chargers (currently limited to 48A charging on a 60A circuit), but not chargers of different brands. You could use a Tesla charger with an adapter for whatever vehicle you buy, if one is available.

I currently have a Model S and may well purchase another e-car, perhaps, a non-Tesla (heresy, I know). If I install, which I haven not yet, a 50 amp Telsa Wall Charger, is there a way to daisy-chain another e-car and not a Tesla from that charger?
Presuming the non-Tesla uses the J1772/CCS for AC/DC charging, you'll be better off buying a non-Tesla charger (either wall mounted or a mobile charger that plugs into a NEMA 14-50/6-50 outlet) and then using your J1772/Tesla adapter for the Tesla. This is what I'm doing in my garage with my Model S and my wife's ID.4; the Model S mobile charger got a break after 6 years and is on vacation in its case in the frunk.

Thank you, both. @FoxSTL2HOU WHAT IS the benefit of using a non-Tesla charger for both the Tesla and for a non-Tesla car rather than using 2 Tesla chargers?
Presumably you have a Tesla-provided J1772 to Tesla adapter from when you bought the Tesla that you can use. Otherwise, you're looking at a third-party Tesla to J1772 adapter ($150-200 from just a quick search).

Thank you, both. @FoxSTL2HOU WHAT IS the benefit of using a non-Tesla charger for both the Tesla and for a non-Tesla car rather than using 2 Tesla chargers?
The difference or benefit is in how big, cumbersome, and officially supported the adapters are, depending on which direction you're going.

If you have a J1772 station, every Tesla car comes with a small snap-on adapter that fits in your hand and is easy to use. It's included for no extra cost, simple, and is an official OEM product from one of the companies.

If you go the other way, starting from a Tesla wall connector with its proprietary handle, there are several companies that have reverse engineered and built non-official adapter cables that are kind of bulky and cost a few hundred dollars. I would prefer not to have to go this route when the other way is available.

Reactions: outdoors
Power sharing charging stations aren't cheap. Clipper Creek arguably makes the best J1772 charging stations on the market, and their shared duo is over $2,000. You could install a pair of these to charge two cars simultaneously and use the J1772 adapter that comes with your Tesla.

Clipper Creek 48 amp power sharing charger pair: Share2 Enabled HCS-60 EVSE Bundle | ClipperCreek

However, my preference would be to stick with Tesla equipment and install two Wall Connectors for $495 each, then charge the non-Tesla with a Tesla-to-J1772 adapter. This will save about $1,000 on equipment and be more compact and versatile (WiFi programmable + software updates).

Tesla Wall Connector: Wall Connector

TeslaTap Tesla-to-J1772 adapters: TeslaTap Adapters

Other options would be to have an electrician run an additional line to your parking area, or manage the charging situation yourself; quite a few people get buy with two EVs and one charging station. We were charging three Teslas (with three drivers) from two Wall Connectors sharing a 50 amp circuit just fine. Now it's just two of us and there are no worries at all.

Last edited: