Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to Charge past 90% for Long Trips

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Click on the 'Thunderbolt' symbol at the top edge of your Center Console. You will be displayed the charging controls screen which offers several features:
  1. Set charge limit (defaults to 90%);
  2. Open charge port;
  3. Limit amps (at the specific location -- stored for later recall);
  4. Schedule charge (for when your electricity is cheapest).
In addition, you can open the Tesla app, on your iPhone or other device. There you can do the first 3, but not the #4 function.

After tapping "set charge limit", you have to physically drag the triangular slider at the bottom of the battery icon with your finger. It gets kind of "sticky" at 90% to help you hit that level exactly, so you might need to move the triangle slider back and forth a few times to free it up and slide it all the way right to 100%.

After tapping "set charge limit", you have to physically drag the triangular slider at the bottom of the battery icon with your finger. It gets kind of "sticky" at 90% to help you hit that level exactly, so you might need to move the triangle slider back and forth a few times to free it up and slide it all the way right to 100%.
And in the phone, you just drag it. No set

WARNING - after doing your 100% charge, you'll need to manually change the charge level back to 90%, otherwise you'll keep charging to 100% for subsequent charging stops.

What would be very helpful - having the 100% setting apply only to the current charging session (or at least have an option to have the charging level returned to 90% after leaving the charger at 100%).

What would be very helpful - having the 100% setting apply only to the current charging session (or at least have an option to have the charging level returned to 90% after leaving the charger at 100%).
My Mercedes EV has a button called “range charge” which does just that. Every charge is a 90% charge unless you press the button before or during charging, then just that one charge will be a 100% charge. However, it doesn’t allow any other customization of charge beyond that. Although I don’t know if there’s actually any battery benefit to charging below 90%. Is 80% actually better for battery longevity than 90%? I would doubt it but not sure.

WARNING - after doing your 100% charge, you'll need to manually change the charge level back to 90%, otherwise you'll keep charging to 100% for subsequent charging stops.

The car would have an alert if the setting is over 90% for a few days.

My Mercedes EV has a button called “range charge” which does just that. Every charge is a 90% charge unless you press the button before or during charging, then just that one charge will be a 100% charge. However, it doesn’t allow any other customization of charge beyond that. Although I don’t know if there’s actually any battery benefit to charging below 90%. Is 80% actually better for battery longevity than 90%? I would doubt it but not sure.
80% is supposedly slightly better for battery health. That should be balanced with one's mental health in possibly increasing range anxiety vs one's anxiety about battery longevity.

• Funny
Reactions: ‘Merica
When I'm on a road trip and will visit more than one supercharger I leave the charge limit on 100%. My reasoning is if I'm delayed in getting back to the supercharger in time I'll just keep charging. If I do reach over 90% the battery will only have that max charge for a short time. Usually, my strategy is to go from supercharger to supercharger and arrive at the charger with around 20%. At that point, I'll only charge enough to arrive at the next with the same percentage and make as fast a charge as possible.