Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to charge powerwalls from grid with solar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@coney27 Tomorrow will be warm and sunny. Get that Powerwall into backup mode. Sunday will be warm and cloudy, good bye snow. Then set your reserve high enough so you don't get backed in a corner again. I'll write to my Congresswoman and tell her to get the law changed. :wink:

Reactions: coney27
Sounds like someone is simply making an assumption here. Sorry, I won't believe this part until I see it in writing from IRS. You don't have to produce it for me. I don't care enough to look for it, and I surely don't expect you to prove it to me. And I say again, my two cents don't matter.
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-wd/201809003.pdf

This is the private letter ruling that addresses it. Of course, officially it is not precedent, but it is certainly not just an assumption being made.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
@wjgjr, Thank you. I do fully stand corrected on my previous comment "making an assumption". Very good work on your part.

Sad though finally wording at the bottom, where it says, the ruling is only applicable to the taxpayer that requested the ruling and is not a precedent.

Thanks again for finding this. I don't need it, but I am going to save it. Would never have found it on my own.

Reactions: bhzmark
Good I can see some utilities doing that. I bet not utility in the country is doing that simply because we in this country we can't get everyone to agree to do even one thing. You said, some utilities. I would agree.

Sounds like someone is simply making an assumption here. Sorry, I won't believe this part until I see it in writing from IRS. You don't have to produce it for me. I don't care enough to look for it, and I surely don't expect you to prove it to me. And I say again, my two cents don't matter.

I have more solar and produces more that I can use. Thank goodness. Its under NEM and I am happy to be one of those that have NEM considering they closed that program. And I am working now on installed more solar for a parallel/separate system to power two PWs, just for house backup. Don't think it will be configured to overflow to grid. Only care that I have power when the grid is down, and don't really care if its for an extended period when the grid goes down. Just keep my radio running (and beer fridge) running, when the big blow comes through.

As was said up thread, TESLA has chosen to not allow powerwalls to charge from the grid when solar is present. This is likely to preserve their ability to get the income tax credit. My guess is, if they allowed people to decide, then the product itself wouldnt qualify for the tax credit.

Not a tax expert, its just what I believe, because its how tesla is acting. Only one person we know of has FORCED tesla to allow them to charge from the grid when they have solar, and it took quite a bit of time, and a specific letter from their utility allowing it. Most utilities in the US are unlikely to send a letter saying "oh yeah you can charge your powerwalls off peak and also sell me that same power during peak".

If one wants to charge from the grid and never backfeed TO the grid (no Net metering) that is probably easier to do, but thats not what most people are asking about.

Reactions: Akikiki
In case #2, there is no excess solar going to the grid during Off Peak. The solar generates 30 kWh per the assumed data, and 22 kWh is used for Powerwall charging, 10 kWh is used for consumption, so 2 kWh comes from the grid during Off Peak.

That was just to make the math easier to follow. If you assume, say, 10 kWh of Peak generation, and an additional 10 kWh of Peak consumption, those cancel in all cases and the numbers are the same.

Correct, after you account for the 10% round trip Powerwall losses. The point is the you maximize this arbitrage within the PG&E rules by both (a) time shifting all consumption to Off-Peak and (b) time shifting all generation to Peak. Tesla Powerwalls do (a), but the current software does not support (b).

That has not been proposed, obviously, as there is no difference.

Cheers, Wayne

you cannot charge PW at Off peak and discharege PW at Off peak and make money

you cannot charge PW at Off peak and discharege PW at Off peak and make money

No, but if grid charging was allowed, one could charge their powerwall fully at off peak rates, and then backfeed all solar they were not using into the grid both off peak and on peak (while PV was generating when on peak, anyway).

contrast this with what happens now, when the PV has to support both the home load AND charging the powerwall, with only excess from both of those draws going to the grid.

I dont agree with the above, personally, but its what many people want to do.

If you don't have solar, you can charge Off-Peak and drive your grid usage to zero during Peak. That is fully supported. What is not supported in the software is discharging batteries in excess of your consumption to drive your meter backwards and feed power into the grid during Peak. As far as I know the "Grid Services" feature is the only one that will allow battery energy to go into the grid.

The primary goal in cost saving is to power the house from PW for the duration of Peak power and send as much solar back to grid during Peak while sun is still up.
If you have excess PW after powering thru Peak, your just sending power to the grid at the same price you charged the PW (solar is charging PW, but you are drawing from the grid at that rate). So, you are losing money to send back to grid at same rate because of the 10% loss in PW

One wouldn't be charging and exporting during the same rate period. As I mentioned earlier, it sounds like the OP wants to export solar and from the Powerwalls during peak. The Powerwalls would be charged off-peak and export during peak.

My household only uses about 3-4 kWh during the peak period so I have over over 50 kWh stored in the Powerwalls. If I was allowed to export from the Powerwalls and solar to the grid during peak, even with a 10% loss, couldn't it still be profitable?

As an example, if the Powerwalls were charged up to ~50 kWh from the grid $0.08/kWh off-peak, that would be a max of $4 using Denver off-peak electricity rates. If I was then allowed to export that during peak, even if only 90% of that makes it back to the grid, I could make $9 a day during peak ($0.20/kWh * 50 kWh * .9 = $9 credit). Wouldn't that be a profit of $5 a day or $150 a month? If it was allowed in California, the number could easily closer to $10 a day or $300 a month.

We didn't claim the ITC on my Powerwalls since we got them through the referral program. Theoretically, we should be allowed to charge them from the grid but we haven't bothered asking Tesla to make the change.

One wouldn't be charging and exporting during the same rate period. As I mentioned earlier, it sounds like the OP wants to export solar and from the Powerwalls during peak. The Powerwalls would be charged off-peak and export during peak.

My household only uses about 3-4 kWh during the peak period so I have over over 50 kWh stored in the Powerwalls. If I was allowed to export from the Powerwalls and solar to the grid during peak, even with a 10% loss, couldn't it still be profitable?

As an example, if the Powerwalls were charged up to ~50 kWh from the grid $0.08/kWh off-peak, that would be a max of $4 using Denver off-peak electricity rates. If I was then allowed to export that during peak, even if only 90% of that makes it back to the grid, I could make $9 a day during peak ($0.20/kWh * 50 kWh * .9 = $9 credit). Wouldn't that be a profit of $5 a day or $150 a month? If it was allowed in California, the number could easily closer to $10 a day or $300 a month.

We didn't claim the ITC on my Powerwalls since we got them through the referral program. Theoretically, we should be allowed to charge them from the grid but we haven't bothered asking Tesla to make the change.

I have been told Tesla will not do this. Has anyone in Calif with PGE got tesla to config for grid charge with solar connected? If so, details. Now since some with sgip are getting them for free, and not tax write off, what would stop tesla from allowing grid config? I know I am asking, but no clear answer yet.

I was told by PG&E that they don't allow batteries to charge from the grid if you have solar (other than storm watch situations). What I don't understand is why.
With NEM2 and the current TOU rates they only compensate you about $0.03/kWh at your annual true-up for any overproduction. So there isn't a financial incentive to produce more power than you consume.

I was told by PG&E that they don't allow batteries to charge from the grid if you have solar (other than storm watch situations). What I don't understand is why.
With NEM2 and the current TOU rates they only compensate you about $0.03/kWh at your annual true-up for any overproduction. So there isn't a financial incentive to produce more power than you consume.

If you could charge from grid, you could undersize solar and rate arbitrage with PWs to eliminate Peak

Status
Not open for further replies.