Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to charge when leaving Tesla at airport -- want to be polite

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I have a new to me 2022 M3P. Never had an electric car before. I have a question about what is polite behavior.

Detroit Airport has Level 2 ChargePoint chargers in their Long Term Parking. Is it OK to leave the car during say a week long trip plugged in, in one of the ~15 electric parking spots? Or is that rude? If it is rude, what's the point of having a Level 2 in a long term garage?

I'm guessing I need that adaptor that came w/ car to use a Chargepoint Charger?

Thanks for helping this guy out w/ what's considered behavioral norms for electric car owning..

Best,

Eric

In my opinion, that's what they're there for. If there aren't enough, then I that's a clear indication that more chargers need to be installed.
In Portland, OR I got the last spot and felt a kinda bad because there was a Model 3 parked nearby that I assume arrived with no unused chargers. However, my charge rate was something like 4 miles/hr, which is what I get at home using 120V. That rate is only really useful for long, multi-day sessions.

THanks Kavyboy -- that's what I thought too. A Level 2 charger so it must mean for you to leave your car plugged in while traveling. I think Detroit airport has maybe 10 chargers so feel badly tying them up but don't understand any other way you could use them.

Reactions: zoomer0056
If you can get one, use it. If you can't get one, turn off Sentry mode and Cabin Overheat Protection (or just park in covered parking) to conserve battery. I left Sentry Mode on for a week and battery went from 85% down to 20% (at which point Sentry automatically turns off) before the week was up.

I think you're fine. As others said, that's what they installed them for.

If it becomes a problem for them, they will either look at installing L1 stations (or just outlets) or offering some kind of valet service that can move EVs around to ensure everyone gets a charge. There are also large scale solutions employed at huge condos that do load sharing among hundreds of stations. Eventually those will be more common as more people get EVs, but for the time being, it is what it is.

At our airport here in Raleigh there is a third party satellite lot that has a bank of 120V outlets that EVs can use. Eventually they will probably have to find a more large scale solution, but you could see if there is such an option in Detroit. Otherwise, I would just go ahead and use the stations they provided for that purpose. Just make sure they aren't (stupidly) set up with idle fees that may kick in (doubtful, but who knows if they were smart enough to make sure that wasn't the case!)

I think you're fine. As others said, that's what they installed them for.

If it becomes a problem for them, they will either look at installing L1 stations (or just outlets) or offering some kind of valet service that can move EVs around to ensure everyone gets a charge. There are also large scale solutions employed at huge condos that do load sharing among hundreds of stations. Eventually those will be more common as more people get EVs, but for the time being, it is what it is.

At our airport here in Raleigh there is a third party satellite lot that has a bank of 120V outlets that EVs can use. Eventually they will probably have to find a more large scale solution, but you could see if there is such an option in Detroit. Otherwise, I would just go ahead and use the stations they provided for that purpose. Just make sure they aren't (stupidly) set up with idle fees that may kick in (doubtful, but who knows if they were smart enough to make sure that wasn't the case!)
My home airport (Indianapolis) has several and I called to ask about details. They told me to just message them before I arrive and they fully charge and preheat them…and that they just rotate them as needed... but as part of that I have to leave them a “key”.
I’ll pass…can anybody say Ferris Bueller, and an accompanying joy ride?

Perhaps when an airport facilities architect gets an EV they'll get a clue that each charging pedestal/cable needs to be installed so that it reaches 4 (or even 6) parking spaces. It is not difficult to do this. The you could pay a small free to park there and "get in line" for a charger. Lot of ways to do this using an airport parking app or even low-tech by just placing a magnetic number on your hood that they provide.

Charging with Level II for overnight or a weekend would be acceptable. What would be better is that airports should install Level I (120V) chargers or outlets for longer term parking. Tampa International Remote and Economy parking has 120V chargers - it’s assumed the cars are parked for an extended period. The short term parking in the near or above terminal garage has Level II chargers. This distribution of charger types is logical as the number of Level I chargers installed is 5-10x the number of Level II chargers.

Hi,

I have a new to me 2022 M3P. Never had an electric car before. I have a question about what is polite behavior.

Detroit Airport has Level 2 ChargePoint chargers in their Long Term Parking. Is it OK to leave the car during say a week long trip plugged in, in one of the ~15 electric parking spots? Or is that rude? If it is rude, what's the point of having a Level 2 in a long term garage?

I'm guessing I need that adaptor that came w/ car to use a Chargepoint Charger?

Thanks for helping this guy out w/ what's considered behavioral norms for electric car owning..

Best,

Eric
I think it’s poor form to tie up a j1772 plug for days but if in long term parking that’s what it’s for. Atlanta airport has peachy parking nearby with a couple hundred 120v outlets.

It should be fine without being plugged in with sentry mode off and you don’t constantly open the app to wake up the car.

But as long as they don’t stipulate a time limit for the chargers then you should be fine. If there are Level 1 spots then that’s even better.

Reactions: ATPMSD