Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to Charge your Tesla for FREE (The good part of ownership!!)

ucmndd

Mar 10, 2016
California
And what I'm saying is simply that employers have never paid to fill up your tank with gas
I've never had an employer offer me free haircuts, or free meals at the cafeteria, or free shuttle service to/from work, but those are all examples of other perks that are common in the Bay Area where talent is in high demand.

I think it borders on dishonest to expect something for nothing or to expect others to do for you what you can (and should) do for yourself.
Surely by this logic you refuse other employer-provided benefits that are part of your overall compensation, yes? I mean, you can provide health insurance for yourself, or contribute to your own 401(k), ya?

I'm sorry if you live where electricity is expensive but that is no reason to expect your employer to give you free electricity.
Where did the "expectation" come from? You've fabricated that part of your argument.

cwerdna

Jul 11, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
There are no free haircuts at my work. But, meals are free and there's a free shuttle to/from for people in certain parts of the Bay Area (not mine). Before COVID-19 threw everything into disarray and we were still working from the office, our food eventually got to be quite good.

If we had no free EV charging, no shuttles (given our location) and no free food, we would definitely be at a disadvantage in terms of recruiting and retention vs. some other notable companies in the Bay Area. Apple does has free EV charging and shuttles but not free food. I've eaten at Apple a few times which was a bit pricey but actually quite good.

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
Where I work offers perks up there in the bay area competitive with apple, google, facebook etc but here in southern california we get a subset of them, or some not at all.

What I was saying is, I think its a mistake to equate what is happening in "the bay area" to what is happening everywhere (or even what should happen everywhere). Even companies with all those perks (like mine) dont offer them all at locations outside the bay.

But, especially up there (where the combination of lack of affordable housing, density of living, etc) combined with companies that usually have "Green" corporate initiatives, along with a competition to attract a specific type of talent, charging infrastructure will continue to be added up there for sure.

Its just whether its free, or for cost.

No matter how much money people make, there are plenty who are of the mindset "if its free, its for me" (lol).

Last edited:
Reactions: cwerdna

cwerdna

Jul 11, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
Re: lack of affordable housing, exactly! That's a huge problem in the Bay Area. Many many people who make seemingly large salaries in terms of absolute dollars have little choice but to live in apartments and/or other places where they cannot charge. Look at the prices of homes here: Bay Area home prices maintained record in November, despite out-migration.

There are tons of apartment complexes located not very far from major tech companies here.

Average Rent in San Jose, CA and Cost Information - Zumper which says last updated today 1/5/21 "The average rent for a 1-bedroom apartment apartment in San Jose, CA is currently $2,004. This is a 17% decrease compared to the previous year."

San Francisco Bay Area Metro Report: January 2021 last updated 1/4/21 claims.
The Most Expensive

–San Francisco was the most expensive city, though rent decreased another 1.5% last month to $2,660.

–Milpitas ranked as second with one bedrooms priced at at $2,630.

–Cupertino was third with rent at $2,510.
In the least expensive camp, Concord and Vallejo are WAY too far for South Bay tech companies. Richmond I wouldn't want to be in for crime reasons...

A co-worker was formerly living in city of SF (and taking free shuttles to/from work) w/her BF was in an apartment that was over $4000/month, I think $4500.

Feathermerchan

Sep 21, 2018
Euless, Tx
Since I live in a nice house with a yard that never had a $2,000 house payment (and most <1,000), and pay 9¢/kWh for electricity, I can say that they would have to offer me free meals, free parking, free shuttle and a lot more to get me to live in SF.
My grandfather lived there during the war. I looked up the house and it is maybe a $400K house here but a few years ago Zillow had it at $849K. So I guess that is why my expectations are so different than yours when it comes to free electricity.
Yes I did take advantage of the perks offered and was thankful for them. Like partial matching in our 401m plan (before 401k). But I never expected to be given free transportation to and from work. I rode public transport and walked the rest to avoid the $80/month parking cost.
I still think that V2G will certainly end any free charging at work.

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
Since I live in a nice house with a yard that never had a $2,000 house payment (and most <1,000), and pay 9¢/kWh for electricity, I can say that they would have to offer me free meals, free parking, free shuttle and a lot more to get me to live in SF.
My grandfather lived there during the war. I looked up the house and it is maybe a $400K house here but a few years ago Zillow had it at $849K. So I guess that is why my expectations are so different than yours when it comes to free electricity.
Yes I did take advantage of the perks offered and was thankful for them. Like partial matching in our 401m plan (before 401k). But I never expected to be given free transportation to and from work. I rode public transport and walked the rest to avoid the $80/month parking cost.

then you likely will be waiting for quite some time, because tesla is still the only car maker selling EVs at any sort of scale, and it is HIGHLY unlikely you will see Vehicle to Grid (V2G) that also doesnt include connecting to the tesla gateway that is installed with powerwalls.

TL ; DR - dont expect V2G capability unless you also have powerwalls, at least from tesla.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
(personal opinion inc, not moderation content, or related to TMC moderation in any way)

This is a relatively new poster here, attempting to launch a youtube career by posting various videos here. Just calling it like I see it.

His videos are quite lame and boring. He'll never be as good on YT as me despite the fact that he has 5X my subscribers. I can't explain that.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC

Petermcg

Sep 26, 2018
Apex, NC
When I lived in Southern California (Temecula), I had a job offer in San Jose where they literally doubled my salary. After traveling on the new company’s dime to look into real estate, I turned the job offer down as it would have been a financial step backwards for us, even with the pay raise. I’m thankful the company was willing to pay for that housing exploration.

Feathermerchan

Sep 21, 2018
Euless, Tx
I live in DFW area and not the expensive part. I got an offer for same salary but in Austin area. I would have had to pay 20-30% more for housing. That was about 1998. Glad I turned it down.

cwerdna

Jul 11, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
When I lived in Southern California (Temecula), I had a job offer in San Jose where they literally doubled my salary. After traveling on the new company’s dime to look into real estate, I turned the job offer down as it would have been a financial step backwards for us, even with the pay raise. I’m thankful the company was willing to pay for that housing exploration.
On this note, I skimmed Bay Area is the least affordable place for tech professionals to buy a home in the morning. Hope it's not behind a paywall for most folks (I do subscribe to this paper, for now).
Despite high salaries and world-class amenities, San Jose is the least affordable place for tech workers to buy a home. A new analysis by the American Enterprise Institute found the typical tech worker and his or her partner — with two incomes totaling $200,000 — can afford just 12 percent of the homes for sale in the San Jose metro area.

The picture in San Francisco and the East Bay is nearly as bad, with just 21 percent of homes for sale fitting in the budget of an average tech couple. The high-hurdles to home ownership are fueling a Bay Area exodus that has contributed to the state’s sluggish population growth in recent years, researchers say.
The AEI study found California has 4 of the top 5 cities in the U.S. with the lowest rates of homeownership: San Jose (52 percent homeownership) and San Francisco metros (52.8 percent) fall behind only Los Angeles (48 percent) and Fresno (49 percent).
In Santa Clara County, for example, the typical household income for a tech worker and their partner is around $200,000, giving a couple a $600,000 budget, AEI researchers estimate. The median home price in the county is $1.3 million.

Even if home prices declined 5 percent over the next five years, Pinto noted, San Jose would still be the most expensive metro in the U.S.

In the East Bay and San Francisco, the typical household with at least one tech worker has an estimated income of about $187,000, producing a $561,000 home-shopping budget, according to the analysis.

Gasaraki

Oct 21, 2019
Syracuse, NY
Wait "Promote Employee Productivity" by allowing them to charge at the workplace? Really? Just put in a gas pump, right?
Electricity and gasoline are just different forms of energy and energy has value. Your employee has no requirement to pay for your expenses involved with transporting you back and forth to work. So he doesn't. Only appearance and govt subsidies would make an employer pay for employee transportation. If you read that PDF it says what I've said. The employer will only spend money he can get a return on.

The value the employer is getting by providing free electricity to employees is the same as any other perk a company gives to employees (free lunches, sleep pods, free gyms, showers in the office, vacation, etc) If all bosses and companies think like you do, can can say "why do I have to spend millions to provide free lunches, buy your own lunch" (google), "buy your own gym memberships" (lots of companies), etc, etc.
A lot of employers allow their employees to charge their EVs at work. The employer pays for the electricity which is really peanuts in the big scheme of things.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H

Feathermerchan

Sep 21, 2018
Euless, Tx
My point is that that the infrastructure and electricity cost is too high to provide it to all employees. To only provide it to a few seems to be giving preferential treatment.
So if your prospective employer did not offer 'free' lunches would you turn down their job offer?
If your existing employer quit offering 'free' lunches would you seek employment elsewhere?

• Disagree
Reactions: ucmndd

Rocky_H

Feb 19, 2015
Boise, ID
So if your prospective employer did not offer 'free' [health insurance] would you turn down their job offer?
If your existing employer quit offering 'free' [health insurance] would you seek employment elsewhere?
There--try that on for size. I mean, you did say it is a costly benefit. :rolleyes:

To only provide it to a few seems to be giving preferential treatment.
Like having a program that gives points or gifts and benefits to encourage people making healthier choices like not smoking or getting in some number of steps? Huh. Companies do that all the time that only benefit some employees who want to choose to qualify for those perks.

Last edited:

tkizzy

Jun 8, 2015
Napa, CA
My 2 cents - workplace charging exists at a pretty massive scale in the Bay Area, usually free to employees, but sometimes accessible to non-employees. A big gripe with charge point is that they will show all the chargers from, say, YouTube as available on their app, but NONE of them are available to the public....seems like a conscious decision to inflate the sense of scale of their network...anyways terrible practice! If they’re not publicly available don’t show them!

Feathermerchan

Sep 21, 2018
Euless, Tx
Yes There are some mapped chargers with no public access around here. Some are in Pay parking garages.
I think employers with more than so many employees are required to offer health care so that is not a real example.
If your prospective employer offered free gasoline would that sway your decision?

• Disagree

tkizzy

Jun 8, 2015
Napa, CA
Also, Volta gpt
Yes There are some mapped chargers with no public access around here. Some are in Pay parking garages.
I think employers with more than so many employees are required to offer health care so that is not a real example.
If your prospective employer offered free gasoline would that sway your decision?
i think the difference here is that every single person walking that campus benefits when an EV displaces a stinky, bad for your health, gas car. So these are kind of like HOV stickers - you get something but really everyone benefits.

valaeyron

Sep 8, 2020
Virginia
When I first got my Tesla I hung out at the nearby shopping area with a free charger.

I either spent more money shopping than I saved or I ate more McDonald’s than my blood pressure needed.

I don’t bother anymore.

I don’t even plug in for close parking with the Tesla anymore. My daughter has a 2016 leaf and now I really understand the importance of charging for some shorter range electric cars.

I tried convincing someone of this...it was a hilarious conversation. Save $3 on electricity...spend $30 on stuff the kid wants in all the stores. Uh huh...

• Funny
Reactions: Kevy Baby

Feathermerchan

Sep 21, 2018
Euless, Tx
I object to HOV stickers for EVs too. I thought the purpose of HOVs was to reduce the number of cars on the road. Now its like an entitlement club. Especially when EVs are mostly more expensive than other cars. It's like paying Disneyland/world so you can cut in line.

• Disagree

Kevy Baby

Dis-Member
Aug 11, 2019
Brea, CA
I object to HOV stickers for EVs too.
I hate the sticker too: I don't want to put FOUR permanent ugly stickers on my car that are only needed for three years (I typically keep my cars for ~10 years). So I have not put them on and continue to drive in the HOV lane for close to 27,000 miles so far (most in HOV lanes as a solo driver).

But that's not what you meant...
I thought the purpose of HOVs was to reduce the number of cars on the road. Now its like an entitlement club. Especially when EVs are mostly more expensive than other cars. It's like paying Disneyland/world so you can cut in line.
Actually the main purpose of the HOV lane was to reduce air emissions which was mandated by the federal government. They way they chose to help meet that goal was to encourage people to carpool and give them the incentive (special access) to do that.

Allowing low and zero emission vehicles to use the HOV lane was another incentive to get people to do something to reduce emissions. So it fits within the original scope of the HOV lane concept.

Reactions: jjrandorin

elptxjc

Dec 15, 2019
El Paso, TX
So do you need a permit to ride on HOV lanes? Just curious, since there aren't any where I live. But want to know if I can use them in Cali, or other places when alone. Thx.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC