Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to Charge your Tesla for FREE (The good part of ownership!!)

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
So do you need a permit to ride on HOV lanes? Just curious, since there aren't any where I live. But want to know if I can use them in Cali, or other places when alone. Thx.

Yes, you need the stickers (unless you want to take the chance on getting an expensive ticket). You might not get caught, but it seemed if the question was "can I legally drive in CA carpool lanes with just an EV without applying for the stickers" and the answer is "no".

elptxjc

Dec 15, 2019
El Paso, TX
Good to know; thanks. I thought maybe out-of-state plates didn't require a sticker, since no way I'd take the time to get one. But I'm rarely alone there, so not an issue; was just curious when I read about stickers. Thanks again guys.

And to contribute something to this thread, found a free charger in Ruidoso, NM (Hotel Ruidoso). It's the first one I find. I'd have to use it because my brother's cabin doesn't have an outlet in the garage (well, it has, but it's in the ceiling, and would require an extension), and there isn't any other charger around, except next door to that one, but they charge $10 a session.

Kevy Baby

Dis-Member
Aug 11, 2019
Brea, CA
So do you need a permit to ride on HOV lanes? Just curious, since there aren't any where I live. But want to know if I can use them in Cali, or other places when alone. Thx.
You only need a permit to ride SOLO in HOV lanes. If you have two people (driver + 1 passenger) or in some rare places three people, you are fine in the HOV lane.

There are some lanes that are HOV only during certain hours.

In California, there are some TOLL lanes (and roads) where you do need a Fastrak account, though they do allow you to pay the toll online after you've used the roads (not sure it applies for the lanes).

If it all sounds confusing, it is: don't drive in California :p

Reactions: jjrandorin

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC