Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to Charge your Tesla for FREE (The good part of ownership!!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So do you need a permit to ride on HOV lanes? Just curious, since there aren't any where I live. But want to know if I can use them in Cali, or other places when alone. Thx.

Yes, you need the stickers (unless you want to take the chance on getting an expensive ticket). You might not get caught, but it seemed if the question was "can I legally drive in CA carpool lanes with just an EV without applying for the stickers" and the answer is "no".

Good to know; thanks. I thought maybe out-of-state plates didn't require a sticker, since no way I'd take the time to get one. But I'm rarely alone there, so not an issue; was just curious when I read about stickers. Thanks again guys.

And to contribute something to this thread, found a free charger in Ruidoso, NM (Hotel Ruidoso). It's the first one I find. I'd have to use it because my brother's cabin doesn't have an outlet in the garage (well, it has, but it's in the ceiling, and would require an extension), and there isn't any other charger around, except next door to that one, but they charge $10 a session.

So do you need a permit to ride on HOV lanes? Just curious, since there aren't any where I live. But want to know if I can use them in Cali, or other places when alone. Thx.
You only need a permit to ride SOLO in HOV lanes. If you have two people (driver + 1 passenger) or in some rare places three people, you are fine in the HOV lane.

There are some lanes that are HOV only during certain hours.

In California, there are some TOLL lanes (and roads) where you do need a Fastrak account, though they do allow you to pay the toll online after you've used the roads (not sure it applies for the lanes).

If it all sounds confusing, it is: don't drive in California :p

Reactions: jjrandorin
Good to know; thanks. I thought maybe out-of-state plates didn't require a sticker, since no way I'd take the time to get one. But I'm rarely alone there, so not an issue; was just curious when I read about stickers. Thanks again guys.

And to contribute something to this thread, found a free charger in Ruidoso, NM (Hotel Ruidoso). It's the first one I find. I'd have to use it because my brother's cabin doesn't have an outlet in the garage (well, it has, but it's in the ceiling, and would require an extension), and there isn't any other charger around, except next door to that one, but they charge $10 a session.
Do you need to be a guest at the Hotel Ruidoso to use the charger? ...planning a trip to Ruidoso soon

Plugshare.com
Do you need to be a guest at the Hotel Ruidoso to use the charger? ...planning a trip to Ruidoso soon
Plugshare.com says you must be a registered guest at the hotel in order to use the Tesla Destination Charger.

hotel_ruidoso.jpg

To be certain, give them a call.

edit: Somebody mentioned in the check-ins that it's $10 for non-guests, paid at the front desk (July 2021).

Last edited:
Speaking of charging for free: WWhat is the etiquette if you are in a place where there are lots of Tesla chargers (which I assume all cost a certain amount to use), and also a few J-connector chargers that are free? Is it obnoxious to charge your Tesla at one of the free stations?

Is it obnoxious to charge your Tesla at one of the free stations?
My $0.02: They usually aren't worth the effort. I have tried a couple of the free chargers (such as outside of Whole Foods) and I gained very little after an hour of charging. And another one wasn't working at all.

Granted, I am lucky enough to have free charging at work, so my opinion is a little skewed.

My $0.02: They usually aren't worth the effort. I have tried a couple of the free chargers (such as outside of Whole Foods) and I gained very little after an hour of charging. And another one wasn't working at all.

Granted, I am lucky enough to have free charging at work, so my opinion is a little skewed.
Well, so far these all appear to be working and the one I tried was giving out 21 miles an hour, about 3.5 times faster than my 120 volt wall outlet (and of course much cheaper). I guess common sense dictates that as long as there are still one or more free stations left to use after I hook up my car then it shouldn’t be any big deal. The sign on the charger just says not to use it for more than 2 hours straight…