TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How to check battery capacity (in KWH)

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by randvegeta, Dec 25, 2016.

1. randvegeta

randvegeta Member

Hello all.

I recently purchased a 2014 Tesla Model S 60. When I set the range display to 'ideal' rather than 'rated', at 50% charge, it shows I have a range of around 163km, suggesting a full range of 326km.

On Tesla's website, the S 60 is supposed to have 338km of range. Does that mean my car has lost 12km (3.5%) of range in the last 2 years? Or was the 'ideal range' always around 326km?

Is there a way to check what the condition of the battery is as a percentage compared to a NEW battery? Or in KWH? For example, if it started with 60KWH, is there a way to check if it now has 58KWH?

2. Electric700

Electric700 Active Member

I would use the Rated setting which will adjust depending on your driving habits. Also try charging your car to 100% to see what the rated range is. Your car may have lost a slight percentage of the originally available capacity, but I wouldn't worry as some people have experienced minimal range loss at about 5% even after 8 years (for the Tesla Roadster).

3. tliving

tliving Member

One method is to look at rated range before/after a charge and then the kWh added during a charge. Then take your max range and multiply it by the factor you get for kWh/rated miles from the charge event.

• Love x 1