TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

How to check for federal tax credit on used vehicles

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by smsiegel33, Aug 27, 2018.

1. smsiegel33

smsiegel33 Member

I’m a long time lurker on model 3 but I wasn’t in a position to reserve one back in 2016 and assumed I would never be able to claim the full tax credit on the vehicle. Turns out in July I supposedly could. So I’m late on the list and not sure I will get a car this year. All that to say that’s why I have been watching the used market. I have an AWD on order but could be ok with RWD for right price difference.

Main question, is there a database or website to check and see if the federal tax credit has been claimed on a used vehicle? My understanding is that it’s not necessarily the original owner that gets the credit, it’s the first person who claims it on that vehicle while they own the vehicle. So if people took delivery after April, the tax credit should theoretically be available for that used car.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  2. outie

outie Active Member

Unfortunately your understanding is wrong. Only the original registered owner can claim it. If the original didn’t claim it you are not eligible to claim it. It’s lost forever.

• Like x 3
  3. smsiegel33

smsiegel33 Member

Good to know. I apparently was misinformed.

4. mtndrew1

mtndrew1 Member

I’m under the impression that the time from a fresh order to delivery for a RWD in the US is less than six weeks at this point.

5. smsiegel33

smsiegel33 Member

I consider that from time to time. I’m stuck in the middle of holding out for what I want and potentially screwing myself later (assuming the surplus of RWD gets depleted), or compromising and saving some bucks at the expense of benefits of AWD. I’ll probably hold out and cancel my order if I don’t hear anything by Nov 30. The way the contract reads, and someone I spoke to st Tesla confirmed, that you should get 100% money back as long as you aren’t assigned a vehicle.

6. smsiegel33

smsiegel33 Member

And it’s extremelt frustrating to see all the people that are trying to sell their brand new car, at a profit off me or someone else, when others who actually want to keep it are waiting. Capitalism sucks sometimes.

• Love x 1