Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to check for federal tax credit on used vehicles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m a long time lurker on model 3 but I wasn’t in a position to reserve one back in 2016 and assumed I would never be able to claim the full tax credit on the vehicle. Turns out in July I supposedly could. So I’m late on the list and not sure I will get a car this year. All that to say that’s why I have been watching the used market. I have an AWD on order but could be ok with RWD for right price difference.

Main question, is there a database or website to check and see if the federal tax credit has been claimed on a used vehicle? My understanding is that it’s not necessarily the original owner that gets the credit, it’s the first person who claims it on that vehicle while they own the vehicle. So if people took delivery after April, the tax credit should theoretically be available for that used car.

• Disagree
Reactions: P85_DA and TexasEV
I consider that from time to time. I’m stuck in the middle of holding out for what I want and potentially screwing myself later (assuming the surplus of RWD gets depleted), or compromising and saving some bucks at the expense of benefits of AWD. I’ll probably hold out and cancel my order if I don’t hear anything by Nov 30. The way the contract reads, and someone I spoke to st Tesla confirmed, that you should get 100% money back as long as you aren’t assigned a vehicle.