Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to choose between Octopus Agile and Go?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I made the switch yesterday. Moved from Go to Agile. For those thinking about the switch, I've also downloaded the Octopus Energy app which gives you the indication of the pricing for the next day. It's really useful and helps you plan your tasks for the following day around the pricing.

Reactions: Durzel
Enter your API key as username and password (I can't really remember this step, you only have to do it once)..

This is what I'm stuck at
octopus.JPG

I am trying to get this working on a Mac with excel 2019 but there is no "from web" button has anyone managed to get this working? I can run it as a web query but I get the following error "Cannot locate the Internet server or proxy server." is this not possible on a Mac?
Witchcraft? :p

Apoligies if some of this is teaching one how to suck eggs...but it might come in useful for others...simple steps.

1. Within Excel navigate to "Data" on the ribbon.
  2. Look for "From Web" and hit it.
  3. Paste in the following entering your MP serial and MPAN and change the dates if necessary-
    Code:
    https://api.octopus.energy/v1/electricity-meter-points/**YOUR MPAN**/meters/**YOUR MP SERIAL**/consumption/?period_from=2018-12-13T00:00:00Z&period_to=2021-01-17T00:00:00Z&page_size=25000
    - copy this as used in step 7 : line 3.
  4. Enter your API key as username and password (I can't really remember this step, you only have to do it once)..
  5. This will hopfully bring you to Power Query where you'll navigate to "Home"
  6. Then to "Advanced Editor".
  7. Replace what is in there with this -
    Code:
    let
    [/LIST]
        Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://api.octopus.energy/v1/electricity-meter-points/**YOUR MPAN**/meters/**YOUR MP SERIAL**/consumption/?period_from=2018-12-13T00:00:00Z&period_to=2021-01-17T00:00:00Z&page_size=25000")),
        results = Source[results],
        #"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(results, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
        #"Expanded Column1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Column1", {"consumption", "interval_start", "interval_end"}, {"Column1.consumption", "Column1.interval_start", "Column1.interval_end"}),
        #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded Column1",{{"Column1.consumption", type number}})
    in
        #"Changed Type"

Hit Close and Load. You should now have consumption per HH.

Dates need some work but a simple formula can solve this. Happy to help if anyone needs it, just PM me.
I am trying to get this working on a Mac with excel 2019 but there is no "from web" button has anyone managed to get this working? I can run it as a web query but I get the following error "Cannot locate the Internet server or proxy server." is this not possible on a Mac?

I’ve just moved house. New place had a smart meter in place, but EON in their niceness put me on their default tariff of a rip off flat rate 17.5p, which kinda defeats the point of having a smart meter !

I installed a 32amp socket (MCD, blue commando, 10mm^2 cable, total cost about £25) and made the switch to Octopus Go, thinking that was pretty good for EV charging during the night. The GO tarrif gives 4 hrs at 5p, that works out at about 90'ish miles back into the EV for a bargain £1.50.

But then I ‘discovered’ the Agile 30min / plunge-pricing tariff, and have been amazed at the savings over GO, and am now wondering what EON do with all that fat profit from millions of users. As it is we don’t typically use much energy during the peak 4pm-7pm period. And the Agile tariff means that charging the car at any other time besides 4-7pm, is still likely to cost about the same or less than the GO tariff, and without being restricted to GO’s 4 hour night time slot. Plus, Agile sometimes *pay* you to take the electricity during excess generation such as during the recent windy+sunny spell.

Basically my overall annual bill is likely to be around 75% LESS than the EON scheme. The cost per mile of running an EV works out loosely speaking at 1p-1.4p / mile, or 15,000 miles a year for £200 or under.

Bearing in mind my previous car ‘of equivalent performance’ was averaging 16mpg and costing about £6,000 in fuel and road tax, the Agile tariff seems even more ridiculously cost effective, but it is for real. I can’t imagine the average DailyMail commentator getting their head round this … !!

Graphs below have been generated with this excellent app :- https://octopuscomparison.netlify.app/

I’ve added some annotations in red for EON .. and my daily kWh usage (which the app ought to do ..)

2020  05  30.jpg

2020  05  24.jpg

Yes, and the whole virus situation I would imagine. Plenty of businesses not using electricity on anything like the normal scale, or at all.

It pays to remember that Agile - normally - works for some people but not for everyone. At the moment the prices give the illusion that you would be mad not to be on it, compared to pretty much any other tariff from any supplier. That won't last, and certainly come autumn/winter things will be consistently more expensive in line with historical rates.

Reactions: *Adam
Yes, and the whole virus situation I would imagine. Plenty of businesses not using electricity on anything like the normal scale, or at all.

It pays to remember that Agile - normally - works for some people but not for everyone. At the moment the prices give the illusion that you would be mad not to be on it, compared to pretty much any other tariff from any supplier. That won't last, and certainly come autumn/winter things will be consistently more expensive in line with historical rates.
True, but with Octopus, I'm pretty sure you could just jump over to Go when the rates start getting a bit lively.

I agree that come winter season Agile rates may well go up, but the tariff is still likely to be very competitive reflecting wholesale rates.

With Octopus, switching between the various schemes is painlessly easy. Its an icon click with the switch over to a new scheme at midnight same day.

Here's an interesting 1 yr graph of the best Agile and Go rates. General trend is downwards over past 12 months.

agile over 365 days.jpg

Graphs below have been generated with this excellent app :- https://octopuscomparison.netlify.app/

Thanks for this link...I've been buggering about doing it on a spreadsheet...this makes life easier! I've been on go since I got the car in September but switched to agile last week...think comments about agile in summer go in winter will prob be a good idea! Solar panels are great but they really do complicate the calculations in my head as to when best to charge or not charge (not that that's an issue right now obviously)

Reactions: PV4EV
I wouldn't recommend going on Agile without keeping an eye on your costs and whether it'll pay to switch. In my model I've got a marker which highlights the cheapest tariff for that given day. When this cheapest tariff is not the one I'm on for a week then it's time to switch.

At the moment we're "enjoying" a spell of warmer weather, combine this with reduced industry demand there is an abundance of gas in European storage. This means gas prices are quite frankly silly; which in turn makes our gas CCGT generation cheap too. A large chunk of our generation is CCGT...I cannot see power prices recover for a few months yet.

Winter winds can also keep Agile prices low. Not just sunny summer

Oh yes. Lovely dense winds hitting the wind fleet.

It doesnt really matter. You can switch between agile and Go and back again pretty much at will and zero notice. so you hear its windy change. Its no big deal. If you have Outgoing as well there is no changing to GO but you could change to Energy?