Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to clean vegan steering wheel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was wondering what products to use and what to avoid for cleaning the steering wheel. A Google search said baby wipes might be a bad idea?
I presume you have a newer car that no longer has the leather steering wheel. If that is the case, the material should be the same vegan leather (AKA PU or polyurethane) as the seats, which Tesla's cleaning instructions are as follows (bold emphasis mine):
Wipe spills and chemical residues from interior surfaces as soon as possible using a soft cloth moistened with warm water and non-detergent soap. Wipe gently in a circular motion. Then wipe dry using a soft, lint-free cloth.

Although seating surfaces are designed to repel stains, Tesla recommends regular cleaning to maintain performance and an as-new appearance. Promptly treat dye transfer from clothing, such as indigo-dyed denim. Avoid contact with harsh chemicals, including certain cosmetics. Never use cleaners containing alcohol or bleach. Spot-test cleaners on an inconspicuous area before applying to visible surfaces.

Vacuum cloth seats as needed to remove any loose dirt.
Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

I personally use a mixture of warm water with a few drops of Johnson baby shampoo (had it for PPF application) applied with a soft microfiber cloth to clean the seats. I imagine baby wipes should be quite similar.

Note that disinfecting wipes are something different (they have much harsher chemicals) although people might easily mix up the two. I imagine that is why some sites recommend against baby wipes, as people may use such disinfecting wipes thinking they are baby wipes. It could also be the case some baby wipes are more harsh (have to check ingredients and reviews).

Last edited:
Reactions: kbecks13
I presume you have a newer car that no longer has the leather steering wheel. If that is the case, the material should be the same vegan leather (AKA PU or polyurethane) as the seats, which Tesla's cleaning instructions are as follows (bold emphasis mine):

Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

I personally use a mixture of warm water with a few drops of Johnson baby shampoo (had it for PPF application) applied with a soft microfiber cloth to clean the seats. I imagine baby wipes should be quite similar.

Note that disinfecting wipes are something different (they have much harsher chemicals) although people might easily mix up the two. I imagine that is why some sites recommend against baby wipes, as people may use such disinfecting wipes thinking they are baby wipes. It could also be the case some baby wipes are more harsh (have to check ingredients and reviews).
Gotcha so baby wipes would be fine then? They’re the ones from Costco and it doesn’t seem they have any disinfectant.

They’re also more handy since I can keep them in the glovebox!

Interior cleaner or leather cleaner.

Damn, I was going to recommend this instead...

1657844832963.png

Gotcha so baby wipes would be fine then? They’re the ones from Costco and it doesn’t seem they have any disinfectant.

They’re also more handy since I can keep them in the glovebox!
Yeah, Costco baby wipes should be fine, especially if they are hypoallergenic (which typically means they would be free of harsh chemicals). Both the scented and unscented Costco ones seem to say "No Chlorine, Alcohol*, Dyes, Parabens or Pthalates".

https://www.costco.com/kirkland-signature-scented-baby-wipes,-900-count.product.100841893.html
https://www.costco.com/kirkland-sig...grance-free,-900-count.product.100801219.html

I have not seen anyone report baby wipes being a problem. Just make sure you aren't talking about disinfecting wipes which typically have harsh chemicals like chlorine or alcohol or other solvents that may degrade the material.

whatever it is, it's about as vegan as a Michelin tire.
Well vegan only means it doesn't use animal products (which neither PVC or PU is), so that isn't really saying much about what material is used.

All I'm saying is it's PU, which is different from PVC and thus has significantly different properties (including lower resistance against chemicals). PVC typically is more resistant to harsh chemicals (although typically it is recommended against using them also to clean PVC seats) so it is used more in commercial environments. However, PU is softer, more breathable, so is much closer in feel to leather. PVC also typically is kept soft by using plasticizers and has a top coat to keep them in, but if that top coat is worn off and the plasticizers escape, the PVC may crack. PU doesn't fail in the same way, but it can still crack from drying and becoming brittle from heat and UV damage (there are different additives that can be used to prevent this though).

Yeah, Costco baby wipes should be fine, especially if they are hypoallergenic (which typically means they would be free of harsh chemicals). Both the scented and unscented Costco ones seem to say "No Chlorine, Alcohol*, Dyes, Parabens or Pthalates".

https://www.costco.com/kirkland-signature-scented-baby-wipes,-900-count.product.100841893.html
https://www.costco.com/kirkland-signature-baby-wipes-fragrance-free,-900-count.product.100801219.html

I have not seen anyone report baby wipes being a problem. Just make sure you aren't talking about disinfecting wipes which typically have harsh chemicals like chlorine or alcohol or other solvents that may degrade the material.
Yeah I have the exact wipes from the second link