Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to close Model S door when the handle malfunctions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today my 2017 Model S developed a new problem with the door handles. Front passanger door cannot be closed at all. When closed, it pops open right away.

With the door open, the car cannot be driven or turned off. Trying to get hold of mobile team to replace the handle and hoping it will not be raining.

Also, the mobile app sends me "The front passenger side door has been left open" notifications every few 30 minutes or so...

Ideas on how to hack the door to close?

looks like its treating the button as you having just told it to open instead of retracting like its supposed to. Only thing i can think of is to disconnect power to it by pulling the power cable from inside the door panel. Not too hard to do since you just need to pop off the panel and get your hand in there.

My guess would be that there is water inside the microswitch that should detect if I have pulled the handle. Car was washed couple of days ago and while the handle did work after that, maybe the cold night temperature has condensed the water inside the switch since.

Would like to avoid taking the door panels off myself with the hope that mobile service team would be available to install a gen 3 handle mechanism that should be more reliable.

(Handles in this car have been already replaced 4 times to other doors. My guess is that after upgrades to gen 3 handles, they might work better)

Follow-up: Tesla sent a mobile technician super fast (next day) who replaced the handle with gen 3. Technician mentioned that the problem was that wire to the microswitch detecting handle pull had broken off. Repair was reasonably priced: $380.

Looking at the design and online forums, this is a very common problem. Luckily Tesla apparently has fixed this in gen 3 design by moving to magnetic switches. IMO they should have recalled the vehicles as broken handles can become safety issues and are extremely common with Model S (this was 5th handle repair in this car and there is one more coming up).

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Today my 2017 Model S developed a new problem with the door handles. Front passanger door cannot be closed at all. When closed, it pops open right away.

With the door open, the car cannot be driven or turned off. Trying to get hold of mobile team to replace the handle and hoping it will not be raining.

Also, the mobile app sends me "The front passenger side door has been left open" notifications every few 30 minutes or so...

Ideas on how to hack the door to close?
This is interesting. Thank you for the video and post. Keep me posted regarding the unreliable door handles. I'm working on a list to get Tesla to assist customers better than they have as the unreliable door handle problem seems to be widespread.