Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to Confirm Premium Sound Package?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just picked up a Tesla S 100D, which is supposed to have a premium sound package. Since I didn't see premium sound package listed in specs, I asked Tesla reps 4 times to confirm its existence. I received the same answers that since the car has premium white seats, it must have premium speakers despite the lack of such wording in car specs. I've tested the S sound system for last several days with lossless music downloaded to USBs. I've somehow not perceived that the sound is as good as what I hear from premium systems of my Tesla X and Tesla 3.

Are there any tips that help me inspect my current S sound system to ensure that it's truly a premium one?

Not sure if it’s the best way to check but I saw this in a thread

You nailed it! The hatch speakers are only included with the UHF system, although the grille panel is used regardless.

Here's a diagram of the speaker placement in the standard system...
interior_top_view_red_tan_7-speakers1.jpg

Here's a diagram of the speaker placement in the UHF system...
interior_top_view_red_tan_12-speakers1.jpg

Do the rear hatch speakers only come with premium sound?

If: The right side storage cubby in the trunk is filled in, 3 speakers are installed into the trim under the rear window of the hatch, 6 speakers are installed in the dash in front of the windshield defroster vents (hidden), under the tuning settings you have a Dolby surround option, you have the premium audio package.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
I just called to have a long talk with a rep, who looked at every thing again and said that some 2018 Ss did not have premium sound system even though current Tesla S website reads that premium sound is included in the premium package?!?

Is this a used / CPO S or was it bought new?

If it was bought new and you requested this as an option, i would say you have some recourse, otherwise you might be out of luck.

Unfortunately, Tesla changes packages and options frequently making things confusing.

Hopefully it works out. I know Tesla does a good job making things right, but this is a tough one as I doubt they will go back and retrofit your car w premium sound. You never know so it’s worth asking for!

After several follow-up calls and an in-person Tesla SC visit, it's confirmed that my new S does not have premium sound package. Tesla engineers went over the feasibility of putting in new speakers, subwoofer to make the system premium but realized it would be impossible. Tesla now offers compensation in forms of more free supercharging, free annual service, etc. We all agree to think over options of compensation and will decide.

I am thinking about an upgrade to FSD. Is it worth getting the upgrade?

Wasn’t the Dolby surround option dropped for Immersive Sound. That’s what I have in my premium sound setup
In my Tesla 3 that has premium sound package, I only see Immersive Sound option. In my X with premium sound package, I only see Dolby Sound. I don't see either of those two features in my S, of course because it does not have premium sound package.

Last edited:
I am thinking about an upgrade to FSD. Is it worth getting the upgrade?

It is if you get in writing that the upgrade entitled to to HW3 (the new SoC/board) due next year. All who paid for FSD dating back to late 2016 are supposed to get that upgrade.

Now, how full-featured that new functionality will be without MCU2 is another question. The promised retrofit of MCU2 for MCU1 owners turned out to be another lie (verified again at an SvC last week).

Your post will have me checking to see if I have premium sound in the morning. I paid for it prior to transferring the Reus audio upgrades from the last chariot, but didn’t check to see if all the factory parts and pieces were there.